IGNORED

Putting the G back in G/S

roadscholar

Yeah, once I get the tail bag I should have enough room for at least an overnighter or two. :thumbsup: That, or plenty of TP room for Black Bear Pass in July! :grin:

Pat

A couple just for fun. ;) This is a little riding area off of Rt 125 in Andover, about five miles from home. I rolled in there and Mr. Fox was sitting up on the berm checking things out.

image.jpg1_zpskvn3rhip.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsaiy5eieq.jpg

One of the things I find most entertaining about riding this bike. When I pull back onto the roadway I have an instant flashback to the late seventies fully expecting to see blue lights behind me. :eek: Not that, that actually happened.....often. :D

Pat

roadscholar

One of the things I find most entertaining about riding this bike. When I pull back onto the roadway I have an instant flashback to the late seventies fully expecting to see blue lights behind me. :eek: Not that, that actually happened.....often. :D

Pat

I know the feeling, it may or may not fully subside. :grin:

The problem is, it's a tempting little bugger..

I wish I had a place to ride like that close to me :thumbsup:

I'll trade you your distance for my distance to the Colorado Rockies! ;):grin:

We've lost a bunch of riding due to new development in town. The plate helps you connect the dots that are left. :thumbsup:

Pat

Like.

I almost bought one for my WR last year. But I couldn't get one delivered in time before my departure for Torrey. I ended up getting a Spitfire windshield instead.

The Spitfire was great on the highway, but I think the Screens for Bikes screen would be better for off-road.

I've been planning to get one before fall Torrey this year. I'm a master of putting things off though. :grin:

Gratuitous picture of my WR at Hollow Mountain in Hanksville, UT.

27387575265_624a4c1ed7_b.jpgIMG_0035_WR_Hollow_Mountain by mnTwin, on Flickr

roadscholar

Likey..probably works good, and looks good doing it.

Unlike this which only works good.

081-XL.jpg

roadscholar
Like.

I almost bought one for my WR last year. But I couldn't get one delivered in time before my departure for Torrey. I ended up getting a Spitfire windshield instead.

The Spitfire was great on the highway, but I think the Screens for Bikes screen would be better for off-road.

I've been planning to get one before fall Torrey this year. I'm a master of putting things off though. :grin:

Gratuitous picture of my WR at Hollow Mountain in Hanksville, UT.

Yeah, the Spitfire didn't fare so well in this encounter..

IMG_2415-XL.jpg

Twin, somebody told me you rode the little WR from Minnesota to Utah, that's strong! :thumbsup:

Any photos, gratuitous or not, we'll take 'em. :)

Edited by roadscholar

Twin, somebody told me you rode the little WR from Minnesota to Utah...

The Seat Concepts seat had a lot to do with that! The Spitfire helped as well and I put a 3.1 gallon IMS tank on it. I also carried a Rotopax. That was more for peace-of-mind, I really didn't need it.

I want to add a steering dampener to the WR. Change the rear sprocket (bigger), and put some more off-road capable tires on it.

roadscholar

That's a nice setup, those grips look comfy and I like the lack of handguards in hot weather, let's the air up your sleeves. Any issues with muffler heat on the right side bag?

I picked up this generic w/s at the Givi stand at bikeweek last year and had a couple aluminum pieces bent and twisted to mount it, it works pretty good.

006-L.jpg

005-L.jpg

008-L.jpg

Any issues with muffler heat on the right side bag?

Not really. I have side rack mounts. That provided clearance with the muffler.

While the pannier bags were waterproof and got the job done, they have giant velcro straps that weren't quite long enough to stretch across the seat. I used extra rox-straps to help secure the bags to the racks. Not optimal, but I was running out of time, and I could get them in time. Here's a link:

http://www.aerostich.com/ortlieb-dry-bag-saddlebags.html

I'd like to get something like Wolfman dry bags, but don't have a pressing need now.

I put a G2 throttle tamer on with new handgrips, then put grab-on grip covers over those. The throttle tamer helped a little to reduce the snatchiness of the throttle.

roadscholar

I put a G2 throttle tamer on with new handgrips, then put grab-on grip covers over those. The throttle tamer helped a little to reduce the snatchiness of the throttle.

That's a good idea, it is a little snatchy. My 800 is snatchy but you can upshift a gear or two w/o it stalling, that doesn't work so well on the high-strung 250.

A few more shots of the X and a mini ride tale.

IMG_0093-L.jpg

IMG_0118-L.jpg

Joe is the local Big Foot expert and he took me up to a couple of 'hot spots'.

IMG_0127-L.jpg

He's always looking for tell-tale signs.

IMG_0139-L.jpg

IMG_0156-L.jpg

hey it never hurts to have a little fun when yer lookin for Sasquatch. :grin:

IMG_0159-L.jpg

IMG_0180-L.jpg

I picked up this generic w/s at the Givi stand at bikeweek last year and had a couple aluminum pieces bent and twisted to mount it

005-L.jpg

Nice pics guys! Got a price on the white screen I mentioned. 122.80 delivered from down under. Just on my edge of being too expensive. The other thing is drilling into the headlight cowling. Not a big deal but something I'd rather not do. I know it's a dirt bike and all but, I've got issues! :D

Pat

That's a good idea, it is a little snatchy.[\quote]

It's minor, but noticeable improvement. Link to G2:

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-dirt-tamer/

Supposedly, there is a method of adjusting the TPS using the built-in diagnostic mode. See this discussion:

http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t5568-throttle-on-off-at-idle

I have not tried to check/adjust mine yet.

I used the throttle tamer on mine. I feltit slowed up the response too much with the #400 cam. Ii had them send me the #200 and it worked better for me.

Actually the best mod I did on the two bikes I bought was correct the TPS. I did two bikes and both worked better at slow speed picking your way up stuff. I made a special little tool to do this. Contact me if you want more info on doing this. You have to do a little wiring mod to get into the setup menu in the computer. It is spelled out several times on the net.

roadscholar

Actually the best mod I did on the two bikes I bought was correct the TPS. I did two bikes and both worked better at slow speed picking your way up stuff. I made a special little tool to do this. Contact me if you want more info on doing this. You have to do a little wiring mod to get into the setup menu in the computer. It is spelled out several times on the net.

That's some great info Doug, I know guys here that have fiddled with the TPS on their 500exc's and say it makes a drastic difference in the power characteristics. I'll probably leave mine alone tho, for some perverted reason I seem to like the challenge of dealing with (some) adversity. Plus it's good to have an excuse for when you crashed too. :grin:

Plus it's good to have an excuse for when you crashed too. :grin:

I don't know if this fits but when I crashed my YZ a few years back, I had just spent a thousand dollars into the suspension at Factory Connection. (first & only time ever doing that) I'm thinking what may have happened was, at that point, my bag of excuses was empty! :grin:

Just a 1/4 mile to the top of Monarch is all I'll need. ;)

image.jpg1_zpsqtcswx2n.jpg

Pat

Had a bit of fun at the Square Route Rally this weekend and got to test our my new Karoo 3 rear tire. I really liked the way it held its own in the twisties and it performed quite well in the bit of dirt/mud we played in.

27413003391_007ba60403_b.jpg

Picking up speed

26877073243_9fcfa247cb_b.jpg

Getting dirty

26877075543_8bd810e2af_b.jpg

and dirtier...

26877077653_194f8daec4_b.jpg

and a little bath at the end.

26875697804_7f590d503a_b.jpg

I really like my newly purchased Redverz Atacama Expedition Tent.

27385759702_d955cc4b53_b.jpg

roadscholar

Great photos Mike, I was passing thru there about 12 years ago and stopped at that rally for awhile, nice area. Good to hear about those tires too.

roadscholar

West of the Pecos, finally. Dave and I wanted to check out some of the New Mexico BDR released a few months ago so we parked the rig in Cloudcroft and rode some of the 1st section, it was good. :thumbsup:

Gettin ready. Videos load excrutiatingly slow around here, more to come.

NMBDR

NMBDR

Dave has the route, leads from the rear..

NMBDR

Edited by roadscholar

Funny, I've done a few parking lot laps myself in the past. When it's time to roll it's time to roll! :grin:

IONX0014-X2.jpg

Looks great! :thumbsup:

Pat

roadscholar

I hadn't seen that area before, it is nice. We did a counterclockwise (because of inclement weather) loop on the dirt route to Weed, NM and rode hwy 130 back, great little road. Working on more vids..

roadscholar

Pretty much under a rock at the campground (no phone, molasses internet), it's nice rock tho : ) Here's a couple shortys that loaded, the good ones will have to wait.

This is Westside Rd. or FR 90, it runs N/S more or less along a ridgeline, it just keeps going and going, and going.

NMBDR

NMBDR

My Screens For Bikes screen arrived today from Australia. It was an easy ten minute install. :thumbsup: Waiting on one more farkle from Jacksonville and she should be ready for Black Bear. So, if anybody is interested in riding a fully farkled WR over Black Bear Pass let me know, we can negotiate a price! :rofl:

image.jpg1_zpsrnkhxzcl.jpg

Pat

roadscholar
Waiting on one more farkle from Jacksonville and she should be ready for Black Bear.

Tell Bob or Dane I said get a move on, this is serious stuff..not that it'll do any good. :grin:

Waiting on one more farkle from Jacksonville and she should be ready for Black Bear.

Tell Bob or Dane I said get a move on, this is serious stuff..not that it'll do any good. :grin:

Called today to check on the order (6/2) and I almost tossed your name out there. I figured you might have a relationship with them! :thumbsup:

Said call back Mon if I don't hear anything by then. BTW, the shield works very well! :clap:

Are you still out west? :lurk:

Pat

roadscholar

Called today to check on the order (6/2) and I almost tossed your name out there. I figured you might have a relationship with them! :thumbsup:

Said call back Mon if I don't hear anything by then. BTW, the shield works very well! :clap:

Are you still out west? :lurk:

Pat

They'll mess with ya for knowing me, may or may not expedite, proceed at own risk : )

Good news on the shield, yep still here hangin with Larr, headin back soon.

So, if anybody is interested in riding a fully farkled WR over Black Bear Pass let me know, we can negotiate a price! :rofl:

Pat

Don't tempt me old man :grin:

My Screens For Bikes screen arrived today from Australia. It was an easy ten minute install. :thumbsup: Waiting on one more farkle from Jacksonville and she should be ready for Black Bear. So, if anybody is interested in riding a fully farkled WR over Black Bear Pass let me know, we can negotiate a price! :rofl:

image.jpg1_zpsrnkhxzcl.jpg

Pat

Wow, that looks good!

I have questions!

Please let us know how that screen works out. Is the height OK? How's the wind on the highway? I was thinking about the solid white but would like to see what you think of this one.

Stock handlebar? If not, what is it?

Can you take a close-up of that fuel bottler holder?

I hadn't heard of "Jet" handguards--I see they're Bark Busters.

Tires?

Sprockets?

I miss my WR! :grin:

Wow, that looks good! Thanks!

I have questions! Ok. :grin:

Please let us know how that screen works out. Is the height OK? How's the wind on the highway? I was thinking about the solid white but would like to see what you think of this one.

The height seems perfect for me, I had it going a tic under 80 on the freeway today and it took all the wind-blast off your chest with only a slight increase in helmet turbulence.

Stock handlebar? If not, what is it? Stock.

Can you take a close-up of that fuel bottler holder? How's this?

41dzGzKFsaL._SX466_.jpg

I hadn't heard of "Jet" handguards--I see they're Bark Busters. Yes, Bark Busters put on by the PO.

Tires? Stock for now.

Sprockets? Stock.

I miss my WR! :grin:Craigslist! ;)

Pat

So, if anybody is interested in riding a fully farkled WR over Black Bear Pass let me know, we can negotiate a price! :rofl:

Pat

I was gonna run I-90 but could be persuaded ( :thumbsup: < that's a hitchhiker if ya didn't know :grin: ) to run I-80 W and...I'd almost bet there would be a lonely DR something or something that could use some lovin' out in them Rocky ^^^^^ Mountains!

How's that? :grin:

Pat

I still have it--it's kind of a long distance relationship.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I still have it--it's kind of a long distance relationship.

There ya go, nothing wrong with that as long as she's in the right location! :thumbsup:

Pat

Pat

I was gonna run I-90 but could be persuaded ( :thumbsup: < that's a hitchhiker if ya didn't know :grin: ) to run I-80 W and...I'd almost bet there would be a lonely DR something or something that could use some lovin' out in them Rocky ^^^^^ Mountains!

How's that? :grin:

Pat

I was all set to go back in December......then my buddy sprung a spur of the moment snowboarding trip to British Columbia on me. Unfortunately, that meant canceling my plans this summer. I couldn't pass it up, and I don't regret the decision. There is only so much $$$ and vacation time to go around.....and what I have "left" this summer will be used to gut and install a desperately needed new kitchen in my humble abode. Yeehaa

Just wanted to correct the thread title! :grin:

Nice bike Pat. Wish it was in my budget.

Edited by Chris K
Just wanted to correct the thread title! :grin:

I know, thought about starting its own thread but then again, it was mostly Bill's fault anyway. :grin: Thanks, Chris!

Pat

roadscholar

My recollection is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I wasn't riding the bike that crashed that day. :/:grin:

Bill_Walker
My recollection is a little fuzzy but I'm pretty sure I wasn't riding the bike that crashed that day. :/:grin:

Hell, it wasn't even one of yours! But I wouldn't have been there if not for you.

You'll notice I posted the "it was worth it" version of the photo. I still feel that way. Thanks again!