IGNORED

Mid Atlantic Coffee Club

Brian H and his lovely & talented S.O. are coming up for a visit this weekend (sadly, w/o bike), so I'm afraid I'll have to miss the latest Donut Quest. I may have to visit the Alexandria Sugar Shack for a consolation prize....

Brian H and his lovely & talented S.O. are coming up for a visit this weekend (sadly, w/o bike), so I'm afraid I'll have to miss the latest Donut Quest. I may have to visit the Alexandria Sugar Shack for a consolation prize....

Happy to hear it when BMWST members get together outside of riding as well. But you all could drive down, right? ;)

Well, I may not be able to make it (depends on being able to rescheduling a prior commitment), so I don't want to make the call. However, the Sugar Shack didn't suck.

Well, then let me throw this one out there:

Duck Donuts 4655 Monticello Ave, Williamsburg, VA 23188

It could be a ferry ride for those of us South of Williamsburg.

I was able to reschedule, so I'm IN.

Scott, you called the place so set the time and at least Chris and I will show. We could meet up again at the Shell station on the way. I promise not to leave you guys waiting on me like last time. :/

Nah, not for me. So that puts us at Duck Donuts in W'burg at about 11:00 am, worst case for those who mau try to meet up last minute, right?

Blind Squirrel
Nah, not for me. So that puts us at Duck Donuts in W'burg at about 11:00 am, worst case for those who mau try to meet up last minute, right?

That is what I am thinking. We should be there somewhere around 11.

Happy to hear it when BMWST members get together outside of riding as well. But you all could drive down, right? ;)

Ahhh, I saw this too late to adjust our fine-tuning. We did have an early lunch at a new killer Pan-Asian place called Momofuku in DC, though -- your good company was missed, but the cold sesame noodles with baby spinach, sausage, and glazed pecans was pretty rockin'. Highly recommended the next time you're rolling through the district. The brisket buns were pretty fine, too....

• 1 month later...

I'm in a state of perpetual readiness when it comes to donuts, Scott. Great seeing you (albeit briefly) at START a couple weeks back, BTW.

How did this become about donuts? I thought this was a coffee club? ;)

Well, I might be good for this weekend or a much less chance the next.

Blind Squirrel

I can do this Saturday or the 28th.

This Saturday is showing a chance of isolated thunder showers.

As I recall The Art of Coffee (15722 Kings Hwy, Montross, VA 22520) had some really good coffee and eats.

Yes? No? Maybe?

Maybe, but leaning toward yes if it's not pissing down rain and we're not looking at too early a start (circle-bar military time). It's been a pretty fierce couple weeks since my return from START, as I've been paying dearly for those 4 glorious days off!

Art of Coffee looks like a good pick, though; good call on that one Scott. At some point (maybe in June?), I'd like to drag you guys a bit further northward for a visit to Thursday's Steak & Crab House in Galesville. Dedicated MC parking, a covered patio right on the water, and killer crabcakes. They even have decent (read: not O'Doule's) N/A beer. I have a wonderfully convoluted way of getting there, too.

Im a Yes for this Sat at Art of Coffee. Have a lot to to this weekend so I'd prefer to get arrive 10-ish and leave before noon.

Blind Squirrel
Excellent. Shall we meet up again at the Shell station?

Scott? You up for it?

Sounds good to me. What time do you want to meet at the Shell station?

Does meeting at 8:00 sound good?

We could take the back roads up and back, and still get back in time to get some stuff accomplished.

Wait, I have a track meet tomorrow? Crap, I really should've been training for this. So I guess I'll see you tomorrow morning for breakfast instead. 10:00 am at the restaurant (NOT the mystery Shell station), yes?

Blind Squirrel

Google maps is telling me about 2 1/2 hours to get there from where Craig and I are meeting. That should put us there around 10:30-10:45.

Blind Squirrel

It is 1:30 in the morning. No idea when (or if) I am going to make it to sleep tonight. I'm going to pull out.

Yeah, I was short of sleep, though not as bad as that, but today's ride and fantastic coffee, lunch, and conversation with Will was worth it.

Had a great time!

Yes, me too -- wish you could've been there, Scott, but riding sleep deprived can be worse than riding drunk - probably a good call on your part. Great call on the restaurant, though -- I'd go back there for sure.

Craig, it was great seeing you for sure, but I almost paid the price for the (very nice) after-lunch detour -- apparently, my rain prediction skills were spot on, and as I was crossing the Wilson, there were 35 - 40 mph gusts, then rain... for the last 10 minutes of the ride! Not a soaker by any means, but getting blown around on that bridge will sure get your heart rate up.

• 2 months later...

OK, the last one was back in May. This weekend looks like it might be a bit of a washout, but what do you folks think about putting together something for next weekend (August 6 or 7)? I got 3 hours in last Sunday when it was a hunnert freakin' degrees; ATGATT in July is like having your own personal, portable sauna. Swapping back to my stock wind screen helped; that and planning a route that didn't involve a lot of 25 mph zones or traffic. I'd be happy to host and drag folks around the outer reaches of NOVA if you'd like.

Edited by Fathom

My son is visiting this weekend, so I'm out.

BTW: I might be headed out to Willville Moto Campground again next weekend. Only this time I plan to NOT continue down gravel roads when scouting so I can avoid a road like this again:

i-9sLshSb-XL.png

Keep in mind that the big tree in the middle of the picture is nearly straight up ... that gives you a sense of the grade.

i-mdSpd2d-XL.png

This next one shows the surface ... loose rocks on big rocks.

i-8mpDN5P-XL.png

I made it, but I ain't goin back on a big ole GSA with side bags and a full tank of gas.

This does not look like fun on a loaded GSA. Where was it?

i-mdSpd2d-XL.png

That road is just a few miles north of Sparta NC. I was there scouting in the area for the upcoming FART ride event

There's a lot of tame gravel in that area, but this was the fourth gravel segment that I rode that morning. Would I do it on a smaller bike with other riders, probably. Would I do it on a GSA with other people, probably not. I certainly wouldn't do it again alone. I'm just not that experienced an off-road rider. Other more experienced off-roaders, have at it.

Edited by TyTass
Craig,

What tires are you running on your GSA?

I'm running Shinko 705s. I'm on my 2nd set front, third set rear. They'd have lasted longer but I once forgot to fully inflate my tires after extensive off-road riding and rode home 500 miles on under-inflated tires. Really killed that set.

They are pretty good for off-road and yet not too buzzy on road.

Blind Squirrel
Craig,

What tires are you running on your GSA?

I'm running Shinko 705s. I'm on my 2nd set front, third set rear. They'd have lasted longer but I once forgot to fully inflate my tires after extensive off-road riding and rode home 500 miles on under-inflated tires. Really killed that set.

They are pretty good for off-road and yet not too buzzy on road.

I can see where those tires (80/20) would make that section even more challenging :eek:

Meh,...I'd do it on the RT ;)

i-mdSpd2d-XL.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I haven't logged on here in about a year. Glad to see the coffee group is still going strong. When I sold my GS in July 15 I just couldn't watch everyone else having so much fun. haha. Anyway, my GS has been well loved by the guy that bought her in NC. He regularly sends me pictures of their camping adventures.

When's the next coffee? I haven't gotten another bike yet, but I miss seeing everyone.