IGNORED

RS displaces the RT

Limecreek

Just wanted to give the BMWST team a heads-up. The RS will be displacing the RT. In fact the the RS is the new RT for us old farts.

Please use this advanced notice to put your RT up for sale, assuming you have not already traded it in on an RS.

Cheers!

The new standard

164913873.jpg

Bikes I'm selling to fund the new standard

164913874.jpg

God's gift to motorcycles

164913875.jpg

:thumbsup:

Very happy with my 14 GSA,but the RS would be next bike in the garage in a flash.

JR356

The new motor is fantastic and the smaller lighter bike is a wonderful change from the big K16GT. But I will miss the GT on the long tours.

Very nice...but not for me. I like the weather protection and much prefer the styling of the RT. However, I love that other people like different styles of bikes, it's what makes it all so individual.

Love the look of the RS and of course the motor is awesome (but I need the RT's fairing for winter riding). Congrats and enjoy!

Love the look of the RS and of course the motor is awesome (but I need the RT's fairing for winter riding). Congrats and enjoy!

I was definitely colder on my ride last weekend, but the great thing about Texas is the cold doesn't last long and the extra exposure will be nice in the summer.

Looks fantastic!

I had one of the spiritual predecessors, the R1200ST, and the weight savings and more minimalist fairing of that class of bike made it seem pretty quick and lively. I'd imagine it's a real hoot with the wethead engine.

I gave some passing consideration to the RS, but with my transition into geezerhood the RT offers a bit more friendly riding position for these old bones.

Enjoy the new ride!

I was looking at the RS but the forward lean angle is way to much for me. If they would pull the bars back about 5 inches it would be perfect. According to cycle ergo the RT has a forward lean of 2 degrees the RS has a 17 degree forward lean.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Just my 2 cents

Roger L

Looks fantastic!

I had one of the spiritual predecessors, the R1200ST, and the weight savings and more minimalist fairing of that class of bike made it seem pretty quick and lively. I'd imagine it's a real hoot with the wethead engine.

I gave some passing consideration to the RS, but with my transition into geezerhood the RT offers a bit more friendly riding position for these old bones.

Enjoy the new ride!

I am at a place now where I can see geezerhood just ahead of me and figured this would be my last chance to capture some of the old sport bike spirit from days gone by....sort of if you leave out heated grips, cruise control, adjustable windshield, wider seat....haha.

I was looking at the RS but the forward lean angle is way to much for me. If they would pull the bars back about 5 inches it would be perfect. According to cycle ergo the RT has a forward lean of 2 degrees the RS has a 17 degree forward lean.

Just my 2 cents

Roger L

To be honest it feels a little too far forward for me too - not much but a wee bit. I am a road cyclist and am going to give my body a few months to adjust and grow into it. It's a slightly different muscle group that needs some tuning.

If I don't adjust I may put the R bike bar - it is a direct swap out.

Just my 2 cents

Roger L

To be honest it feels a little too far forward for me too - not much but a wee bit. I am a road cyclist and am going to give my body a few months to adjust and grow into it. It's a slightly different muscle group that needs some tuning.

If I don't adjust I may put the R bike bar - it is a direct swap out.

Good to know, back with my R 1100 RSL the swaps weren't there, but

I found the riding position w/the slight forward lean, much, much more comfortable than the sit up and beg of the RT.

WRT weather protection, having proper kit, and electrics when needed in cold wet, no problem, and then when it got hotter,

no way an RT can do anything about the big fairing while the RS is comfortable.

Great looking ride.

I am selling my 2007 Tuono and the RS is on the short list.

I took test rides on the new GS and liked it and thought yes, this could be it. Then I got on the RS and it was a whole other world - instant love.

The bike is extremely nimble and has a very solid, planted feeling about it.

Go test ride one.

Greg, my Son has been drooling over the RS. How would you compare the feel/handling of the different style front suspensions? How much brake dive does the RS have that the RT might not have?

One year and 19,000 miles on my RS. Had an '11 RT for two years and never did adapt to the SIZE of the damned thing. That is where the RS has it all over the RT, weather protection or not. Besides, all the fairing did was make it real warm when the temp got over 85 deg. F here in Texas, which is a LOT of the time. A set of Helibar up/back adapters and I am set.

Frank

Greg, my Son has been drooling over the RS. How would you compare the feel/handling of the different style front suspensions? How much brake dive does the RS have that the RT might not have?

I have a Telelever and Duolever bikes in the garage. With the RS suspension in Dynamic mode the front dives no more than my K16GT with Duolever, but more than the old generation RSL with the Telelever. I would say it splits the difference in the two types of front suspension designs.

With the RS suspension in Road mode it dives 50% more as a guess.

I have a Telelever and Duolever bikes in the garage. With the RS suspension in Dynamic mode the front dives no more than my K16GT with Duolever, but more than the old generation RSL with the Telelever. I would say it splits the difference in the two types of front suspension designs.

With the RS suspension in Road mode it dives 50% more as a guess.

Good info. The minimal brake dive, and what seems to be much better stability when you clamp the brakes on hard in a corner during a surprise, is something I really like about the Telelever. You would have to compare equal setups with quality components to really know about the handling I guess. But, my RT isn't a track bike so I will take stability over precision for my style of riding. Now my Son rides a newer Super Tenere and I figure he would ask "what brake dive" after riding the RS.

Having investigated the RS, XR and R models, I chose the R1200R. The riding position is somewhat more upright than the RS which is the main reason I chose it over the RS. Weather protection is relatively poor so I have to count on my jacket/pants/gloves to help out. Seems far peppier than my GS (both LC) and while it's comfortable enough it's more biased toward sport than touring. Point is, don't overlook the new R1200R as an RT replacement.

Chal De Cecco

The RT is a lovely bike but proved to be just a bit heavier to handle during stop and go and low speed situations for me. Chose the RS model as it just felt less top heavy and much easier to get around on. The forward lean issue was cured with a Heli Bar conversion.

The suspension and engine performance packages are simply superior to the bulk of the brands out there now. When you bank into a left or right turn or chicane the word PLANTED appears in your frontal cortex. So easy to ride briskly......

The RS is a sweetheart for sure and in reading all posts on this forum I can see the merits of this killer bike.

But,,,,,

How are they with a pillion? Were your passenger(s) content? Passenger foot pegs not too high?

Reason I ask is that I was heading towards a new R-RT, but the lighter bike is a nice idea.

My garage now holds a K1200LTC and a Ducati ST4S with full bags. And both of them were going to go away to make way for a new RT, but damn, I really like the light weight of the RS. We live on the west coast but have toured the country on the K1200LTC and we like it better than the school-boy games of the Ducati ST4S. Whatever BMW I buy I will need it to be up to traveling across the states, that's why I was leaning towards the RT....

Decisions decisions!!!

Going from an LT, to a twin RT or RS will be different.

Depending on you and pillions size, could be OK, or wayyy different.

Have you done an RT 2 up?

See if you can demo.

We did long distance on my RSL, but the K GT worked much better

for many reasons.

Best wishes.

Congrats Greg,

She's a beaut and an absolute perfect pick for your neck of the woods. Don't let McKinley on it, you'll never see it again.

J.

The RS is a sweetheart for sure and in reading all posts on this forum I can see the merits of this killer bike.

But,,,,,

How are they with a pillion? Were your passenger(s) content? Passenger foot pegs not too high?

Reason I ask is that I was heading towards a new R-RT, but the lighter bike is a nice idea.

My garage now holds a K1200LTC and a Ducati ST4S with full bags. And both of them were going to go away to make way for a new RT, but damn, I really like the light weight of the RS. We live on the west coast but have toured the country on the K1200LTC and we like it better than the school-boy games of the Ducati ST4S. Whatever BMW I buy I will need it to be up to traveling across the states, that's why I was leaning towards the RT....

Decisions decisions!!!

If a lighter bike is a priority, the GS is also an option. The GS and RS are only a couple of pound apart and probably provides more passenger room.

Having investigated the RS, XR and R models, I chose the R1200R. The riding position is somewhat more upright than the RS which is the main reason I chose it over the RS. Weather protection is relatively poor so I have to count on my jacket/pants/gloves to help out. Seems far peppier than my GS (both LC) and while it's comfortable enough it's more biased toward sport than touring. Point is, don't overlook the new R1200R as an RT replacement.
Ditto. The riding position on the R is comfortable for me. After about 300 km into a day, I have to stand up occasionally to straighten my legs a bit. I like the lighter weight. The wind doesn't bother me. I don't even notice it much up to about 120 kph (75 mph). Above that it is noticeable but not unpleasant. I am not commuting on cold mornings anymore. Most of my riding is in comfortable temperatures which may explain why I don't miss the full coverage fairing and windshield at all.

But,,,,,

Decisions decisions!!!

This is a good pillion mount for the 20-30 something's.

Congrats Greg,

She's a beaut and an absolute perfect pick for your neck of the woods. Don't let McKinley on it, you'll never see it again.

J.

Hi Jake - Steve is returning to his cruiser roots in the form of a new goose.

And just a general reply to those who feel the seating is "too far forward" lean.

Try it.

After 500 miles you'll wonder why you liked sit up and beg.

After leaving my Rt (albeit an '80) and adding an RSL, the RT was ridden less and less.

The GT came next, and even with legs onger than most, it works, plain and simple, it works for all day, no weight on butt/spine, etc.

YMMV of course, but know plenty who made a similar move and never went back.

Best wishes.

And just a general reply to those who feel the seating is "too far forward" lean. Try it.
Tried it that way- within 100 miles I had the familiar "burn" starting between my shoulder blades. A set of Helibar adapters solved that. That is my one comfort change- otherwise the bike is perfect for me.

Frank

And just a general reply to those who feel the seating is "too far forward" lean. Try it.
Tried it that way- within 100 miles I had the familiar "burn" starting between my shoulder blades. A set of Helibar adapters solved that. That is my one comfort change- otherwise the bike is perfect for me.

Frank

That is the adjustment that your body will make given some time. You are using a slightly different set of muscles that will develop over time and burn will stop.

No burn for me but a bit of soreness at first - much of that is now gone too.

Frank

BMW seem to like tilting us all more forwards than we like!

I remember on my 2001 R1150RT having to get as set of aftermarket "seat jacks" that basically raised the front seat mounting point upwards about 1/2 an inch. Sometimes I think it would nice if you could get a set of seat jacks for the R1200RT LC!

• 2 weeks later...

Love the looks of the RS and if I could afford another BMW the RS would be my choice , however living in PA and riding year round my RT is more practical . Maybe I'm just getting old :) .

• 4 weeks later...

Go fast bike for sure, looks like it is moving even when parked.

Good looking ride! Congrats and best of luck.

Given enough time, you will reach "old phart" status and then will change. Till then, ride it like you stole it! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I came off F800GT in prep for a 10K mile trip last summer and REALLY wanted to like the RS. It's such a lovely looking bike, I am totally fine w/ the luggage which is the same as F800GT's, but the lack of an electric screen and ergonomics killed it in the end. If I were 5'6" I'd have jumped on it but at 6'4" tall I really appreciate the ergos of my '16 RT, and after living w/ an electric screen I'd have a hard time passing on it. This is why my dream-cycle for when RT is too heavy for me is essentially an RS w/ an electric screen, ergos for old and old tall folk, like RT's and which really are fine for most everyone save diehard sport bikers, all at 525lbs or so. Don't need a boxer engine but I like mine fine. My dream-cycle is summarized as a Sport-Tourer sacrificing nothing on the comfort (yes, electric screen!), high tech, power & handling, all in the lighter weight form factor. Doesn't need to be a boxer. I envision this being an expensive machine, perhaps priced right up there w/ RT or just under. My sense is this exact configuration which doesn't exist currently would easily have enough market share to warrant its development.

I had a Harley Super Glide for a while. Rode it for a year or two with no wind protection, and was wooped after a day of riding. Wind, and wind noise sucked. Bought a windshield and it was 50% less wind, but riding with my RT pals I was still toast after a full day. Now, after my 2nd RT I'm sold on wind protection. I just did 2- 500 mile days on my shiny new 2016 and was fine at the end of each day. We did some tight roads and I remember saying 'our bikes are too big for these roads'. But when you are out...you end up going on big highway roads while getting to the good motorcycle roads, and in an overall sense the RT can't be beat. But it depends on your age, and the roads you take.

I did a bonsai ride last summer on my way home. Billings Montana to Ferndale Washington. About 14 hours. This Wethead is the best Bimmer of all the BMW's I've had. Super long range scooter.

GT

• 1 month later...
swmckinley

"RS displaces the RT"

Land o Goshen...... that's a bold statement. I think if you look at recent sales figures for the two models you might have to retract that statement, specifically, since your Wing Man just bought an RTW. Not saying there is anything wrong with buying the RS, since it is clearly an attempt to deny that you are an old fart now and you are seeking to return to the glory years of your past. :rofl:

• 6 months later...
Yeeha! Stephen

When I saw the blue and white RS I immediately thought Boxer Cup. When my dealership called and said they had a pre-owned low mileage (under 12,000) B/W RS, I thought it was my chance to have a Wet Head Boxer Cup.

I'm still thinking of an aftermarket exhaust, and fabricating a cover for the rear seat, but here's my Boxer Cup 1200.

The original Cup stickers were too big for the RS bodywork so a trip to the sign shop provided some smaller ones. Also I changed the RS stickers to "S" stickers.

A few old-man fixes like lower pegs and taller bars have helped. And some carbon bits from www.motocomposites.com and some repainted parts help a lot too.

attachment.php?attachmentid=65263&stc=1&d=1512179395.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=65267&stc=1&d=1512179906.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=65268&stc=1&d=1512179964.jpg

Edited by Yeeha! Stephen