IGNORED

START 2017 - Maggie Valley, NC

Kinsley

I am experiencing cigar envy...which is much cheaper than bike envy, or even bourbon envy.

The problems start when all 3 are available :Yes:

I haven't been to an Appalachian area event since it was called El Paseo back in 2006. Ten years gone. Where does the time go? :S:P

This is on my radar. :Cool:

I haven't been to an Appalachian area event since it was called El Paseo back in 2006. Ten years gone. Where does the time go? :S:P

I attended most of the El Paseo events but don't remember you by your Board name. Can not find out much about you on your profile. Hope you show up at START 2017 - you will not be sorry you attended and will only be sorry it has been so long since attending one of the east coast BMWST events!

I attended most of the El Paseo events but don't remember you by your Board name. Can not find out much about you on your profile. Hope you show up at START 2017 - you will not be sorry you attended and will only be sorry it has been so long since attending one of the east coast BMWST events!

Ditto.

You aren't the young man who rode the red K non-stop from Oklahoma, after work, through that weather, arrived with a huge smile, had fun, was never seen again, are you him by any chance?

:P

We thought you had a good time...

Edited by tallman
I won't have my motorcycle back in time for this event :(. I shipped it out to California for a ride down into Baja. I won't get it back until sometime in May.

There's a rumor that sometimes you can attend w/out a bike...

:lurk:

My current username is not the same one I used years ago. Back then I made a mistake by using my last name as a username and since then my personal policy concerning the internet has become more of a private one. Thus, I have since changed every username I use publicly on all discussion boards including this one.

Ditto.

You aren't the young man who rode the red K non-stop from Oklahoma, after work, through that weather, arrived with a huge smile, had fun, was never seen again, are you him by any chance?

:P

We thought you had a good time...

I regret to report that I am not the guy who burned the midnight oil from Oklahoma! Somehow, though, I do have a recollection of that story but I'm not sure if it's something I experienced first hand at the event or read secondhand here.

I promise I am not purposely trying to be mysterious. My name is Brian and I disappeared for quite a few years so I expect most of you wouldn't remember me. I mostly lurked here on the board and was probably a bit meek at the two events I attended. But I did have a blast both times and met a few people whom I remember fondly. I haven't ridden my bike all that much in the past five years but I've kept it because of the sentimental value of it being the bike I've ridden to both coasts. I'll keep an eye on those upcoming dates in Maggie Valley with the hopes of getting back up on two wheels and meeting up with you fine folks again someday!

Third event, then, ok.

Third event rules dictate you buy the third round for anyone

who has been to all the events in Maggie Valley, or, was at the first El Paseo...

;)

Certainly hope your options include catching up with these folks.

Number of first El Paseo riders will be a variable.

Third event, then, ok.

Third event rules dictate you buy the third round for anyone

who has been to all the events in Maggie Valley, or, was at the first El Paseo...

;)

Certainly hope your options include catching up with these folks.

Number of first El Paseo riders will be a variable.

Sounds like I need to show up with one of these.

pedal-pub1-640x533.jpg

Tim, you are always welcome no matter how you get here, besides you have all the excuses in the world to show up in a truck or car. :wave:

A car is just a trike with a sidecar, right? :rofl:

Lone_RT_rider
Marty, Shawn - I was going to head back on Friday, but this is reason enough to request an extra day of play in the mountains. Let me know if you boys are serious and I'll stay put. That's if Ken doesn't smoke all of the primo cigars I'm going to stick under his nose.

Well, the best laid plans. Unfortunately there is a high probability that I will be out of town on business. Please, raise a beer for me if you could. :) I'm out for now. I already comiserated with Jake. See you next time Marty. :(

Lone_RT_rider

There's a rumor that sometimes you can attend w/out a bike...

Or with a bike, sans key. There are many ways to START. ;)

Without a Key, do you really ever START? So many questions.... ;)

Nice one on that last classification Dave, very apropos. You and Tasker might think of meeting up and riding down together. You'll find that you two are like two brothers from another mother. :Cool:

In.

In that case, I might make the long drive up for dinner on Saturday night. The Vette needs to stretch it's legs. :)

I had not thought of that. I had signed up and recently decided to pass on riding the bike up/it might be elsewhere by then. I'll drive up for dinner, if fact I think I owe Jake a dinner! :thumbsup:

Marty, Shawn - I was going to head back on Friday, but this is reason enough to request an extra day of play in the mountains. Let me know if you boys are serious and I'll stay put. That's if Ken doesn't smoke all of the primo cigars I'm going to stick under his nose.

Jake, you could spend the night at my joint on your way home or I'll drive up whenever it's convenient for you. No need to spend extra time. I can come anytime.

Without a Key, do you really ever START? So many questions.... ;)

AFAIK, only one person can answer that question. :S

I offered to push around the parking lot, so a ride was possible :rofl:

Jake, you could spend the night at my joint on your way home or I'll drive up whenever it's convenient for you. No need to spend extra time. I can come anytime.

That's a gracious offer, not to mention the bragging rights of having a Jake Suite @ Marty Hill's. Will ping ya as the date nears as my plans are in flux. I'll probably do my usual stop-off earlier in the week at TWO. Mebbe we grab lunch or dinner in Dahlonega.

Better get the box, you'll get price break :wave:

You'll be pleased to know I got the family discount...

i-bd6bC5g-L.jpg

Does that go for the liquid beverage shown as well?! :wave:

This sounds like this is going to be a good time can't wait,looking forward to meeting all you guys.

Mark

You'll have a great time, Mark! Looking forward to meeting you as well, neighbor! :clap::beer:

Then it's way past time you made another appearance :read::old::thumbsup:

We're talking about it...

Tim, It'd be awesome if you can make the trip! :clap::clap::thumbsup:

Well, the best laid plans. Unfortunately there is a high probability that I will be out of town on business.

Shawn, keep us in mind if things fall apart - you still gotta get the cobwebs outta The Vette! :read::burnout:

Was thinking about this for a couple months...now IN with SO (Jennie)

Keith

Look forward to seeing you both again, Keith!

Tasker?! Really?! That settles it; I'm in, arriving Thursday!

Great Jim!

Then it's way past time you made another appearance :read::old::thumbsup:

I suppose I should START thinking about riding down the razor's edge between the past and the future... ;)

I suppose I should START thinking about riding down the razor's edge between the past and the future... ;)

As the years went by, we drifted apart. :whistle: Now Somewhere out of a memory... The timeless old attraction... To pass an evening with a drink and a friend. :beer: And to ride . . . :revit:Sunlight on chrome, The blur of the landscape [with] Every nerve aware . . . :bike::spittake::ohboy:

Is it April yet?

As the years went by, we drifted apart. :whistle: Now Somewhere out of a memory... The timeless old attraction... To pass an evening with a drink and a friend. :beer: And to ride . . . :revit:Sunlight on chrome, The blur of the landscape [with] Every nerve aware . . . :bike::spittake::ohboy:

Is it April yet?

Dave, you really need to reduce your medication. Lol :rofl:

Is it April yet?

+1. I think the Rotator Cuff meds have kicked in. :/

Whatever it is he's experiencing, I'm sure it's a rush. :D:wave:

In that case, I might make the long drive up for dinner on Saturday night. The Vette needs to stretch it's legs. :)

Better get the box, you'll get price break :wave:

You guys are killing me.

If Doc doesn't pull the plug and my driver doesn't back out...

Promise to put the windows down.

See ya Thursday for dinner.

I tried to make a reservation today but apparently the proprietors are currently on vacation.

Reservation finally made. I will be arriving on Thursday and dragging Joel with me.

Thanks for your patience, Chris!

Just a heads up on making reservations - Ken has been in touch with our host, and they are returning voice mails and email/web portal questions and reservations. Much like the Chuckwagon in Torrey, the Creekside closes for a few months during the Winter.

So feel free to use the web portal to contact them and/or make reservations. Maggie Valley Reservations

OR you can call and if there's no answer, don't panic. Just leave a message and you'll get a friendly call back.

Toll Free: (800) 621-1260

8(!) weeks and counting! :burnout::eat::clap::Yes::dance:

Edited by workin' them angels

Is it April yet?

+1. I think the Rotator Cuff meds have kicked in. :/

Whatever it is he's experiencing, I'm sure it's a rush. :D:wave:

Context. All three of you seem to have it! :wave:

Chris - Glad to have you and Joel with us again! :clap:

Tim - that is great news, even if you have to ride with the windows up! Big effort on your part, looking ahead to your visit! :dance:

start%20templet%20whos%20going%20new%20logo%20final%20feb%2028th.jpg

Hello everyone, here's a link for START 2017 Maggie Valley Routes

The routes are coded to show direction first, then the route number (The lower numbers are the shorter routes), then part A or B with part A going to a restaurant and part B returning to Maggie Valley.

Next in the name is the mileage of the route with the first number being the mileage for that part, then the total mileage for the day when both parts are combined.

I tried to put known roads within the route name and the lunch location is in all caps.

Receiving Routes From Others.

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route. You must do the following.

Open the GDB or GPX file in your software, then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option).

Change the color of the Duplicate route (usually double click, then go to “Info” and look there)

Note the mileage, then Re-calculate the Original route. The mileage should stay the same.

If the route mileage is different, look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to. You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the Original route(s) onto your GPS.

Thanks, Ken. For some reason, when I download the GPX file onto my Mac, and go to open it, it somehow has turned into a TXT file. In the past, I've had the same thing happen, but managed to work through it. For the time being I'm stymied. Maybe a glass of wine will help.

EDIT: Didn't even need the vino. When I download the file, it adds a second suffix (txt) after the GPX suffix. All I had to do was delete the second suffix, and import the renamed file into Basecamp. :thumbsup:

Edited by marcopolo

Hi Mark,

I happy it worked out for you, but you might want the wine anyway :clap:

Here's a Link to the folder which has a GDB file as well. I recommend people try the GPX first.

Hi Mark,

I happy it worked out for you, but you might want the wine anyway :clap:

Here's a Link to the folder which has a GDB file as well. I recommend people try the GPX first.

Ken, I did indeed have the wine, in this case to celebrate man's victory over machine (at least that's what I told my wife :grin:).

Edited by marcopolo
steve.foote
In! Arriving he 26th and leaving Sunday.

:thumbsup:

It'll be good to see you again, Jake!

Edited by RightSpin

Room status update: I just talked with our Lodging hostess in Maggie and we've almost filled them up - there are only 6 rooms remaining. :read:

start%20templet%20whos%20going%20new%20logo%20final%20mar%208th.jpg

I thought we were going to make it to START 2017, but it looks like we'll be closing on a house in the Dahlonega area that weekend. After living in Atlanta since 1985, with a weekend cabin outside Dahlonega since 2003, we have finally decided to cut our ties to Atlanta.

The new place is a quarter mile from a winery, and 3 miles from a network of Forest Service fire roads.