IGNORED

2012 1600GT

mstevens

Considering trading my 97 R110RT in on a 2012 1600GT. The RT has been super expensive to maintain with constant breakdowns. If I stay with a BMW Im thinking about going with 1600GT but was wondering if anyone here has a 2012 and if they have had many issues with it. If so I may just leave the beamer world for a Concours.

I had a 2012 K1600GTL that I sold recently. Put 52000 miles on it.

Loved the bike but it just about drove me nuts!

4 water pumps

1 transmission

1 clutch

Drake oil like crazy

And finally....1 short block, 4 four broken ring glands and scored cyclinder walls

There has definitely been some problems with the 2011-2012 models

There was also the recall on various items.

Be careful...

GT

Mine had a weepy water pump and a squeak in a front suspension bushing that my dealer couldn't cure on the first attempt. The new RT had appeared about that same time so I jumped ship.

Spectacular bike except those issues mentioned. The 18000 mile service was rumored to be about $800.00

Edit ride a wethead RT. :revit:

Pat

Edited by TEWKS

Thanks fellas. Maybe Ill stay away from an another pandoras box an just finish bringing my RT back up to spec. Hard choice still tho. I love all the bells and whistles of the GT but then again I dont have any payments on the RT.

I went from the mentioned GTL to a new RTW and I am very pleased with it.

That being said, I would buy another K 1600 in a heartbeat. I think many of the issues that myself and others experienced with the early models have been corrected.

GT

I would agree the 2014 and later 1600's seem to be bullet proof. I was looking at these bikes for a short while and did a lot of research. 2014 seems to be the golden year. For some reason I do not remember a lot about the 2013 model, all my research seemed to point to 2014. Check out the 1600 user forum that is where I did a lot of my research.

My 2013 has been the best touring bike I've owned. I recently sold it to thin out the heard and for my desire to go back to a modern boxer.

After a water pump and switch gear fixes the bike was stone cold reliable - no issues at all.

It is all day comfortable, powerful and incredibly nimble for a bike of its size. I named mine Moby.

164918906.jpg

I'll miss that motor!

• 1 month later...
markgoodrich

I'm late to this discussion but I have a 12 KGT. Only issues have been tires. They wear out. Nothing has gone wrong that wasn't my fault.

I've got about 36k on it, fixing to go to Califa next month. As Limecreek says, it's the best touring bike around, especially for two up riding. We both, by the way, put manual Wilbers on our bikes almost right away. I understand the current model ESA is a lot better.

My 2013 has been the best touring bike I've owned. I recently sold it to thin out the heard and for my desire to go back to a modern boxer.

After a water pump and switch gear fixes the bike was stone cold reliable - no issues at all.

It is all day comfortable, powerful and incredibly nimble for a bike of its size. I named mine Moby.

164918906.jpg

I sold my GTL and do miss that motor a lot. I don't miss moving it around the garage.

GT

I'll miss that motor!