IGNORED

G650GS Fuel Injectors Clogged - Advice?

Hank R1200RT

Hank R1200RT

So, my son's 2012 G650GS has sat for a few months and won't start. Battery is probably defunct, but the engine cranks over with a jump.

We took off some Tupperware and got to the throttle body. I poured a couple of teaspoons of gas into it and the bike ran for a couple of revolutions. As a result, My diagnosis was clogged fuel injectors.

I put some Techron and a gallon of gas in hoping it would reach the clogs in a day or two. Any other thoughts? We dd not plan on this scenario and did not drain the tank. Is there any product one can safely spray in the throttle body for this situation? Amy other advice?

So, my son's 2012 G650GS has sat for a few months and won't start. Battery is probably defunct, but the engine cranks over with a jump.

We took off some Tupperware and got to the throttle body. I poured a couple of teaspoons of gas into it and the bike ran for a couple of revolutions. As a result, My diagnosis was clogged fuel injectors.

I put some Techron and a gallon of gas in hoping it would reach the clogs in a day or two. Any other thoughts? We dd not plan on this scenario and did not drain the tank. Is there any product one can safely spray in the throttle body for this situation? Amy other advice?

Morning Hank

Might be the fuel pump, the 650/700/800 had a rash of fuel pump failures that either froze the pump up or pumped metallic particles into the injectors. (can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds at first key-on)

Is fuel actually getting to the injectors?

Have you tried holding the throttle to about 1/4 throttle while cranking?

Hank R1200RT

I discount the possibility of a fuel pump problem, as it was running fine, then not after a longish period of storage. But I will keep that in mind.

Did not get to the point of disconnecting fuel lines, etc. Maybe in a couple of weeks - will be out of town for a while.

I will try the 1/4 throttle thing RSN.

Thank you for the information.

I discount the possibility of a fuel pump problem, as it was running fine, then not after a longish period of storage. But I will keep that in mind.

Did not get to the point of disconnecting fuel lines, etc. Maybe in a couple of weeks - will be out of town for a while.

I will try the 1/4 throttle thing RSN.

Thank you for the information.

Evening Hank

Easy test-- just listen for the pump to run for a coupe of seconds at key-on.

Just because it ran a while back doesn't mean the pump is still good now. BMW didn't anodize the alloy pump body so they can seize up just sitting there with ethanol fuel in them.

• 2 months later...
Hank R1200RT

So, over the last couple of weeks, played with fuel injector, soaked in Techron for a while, no joy. (Did see a little dribble of fluid for a while when re-installing after testing, but looks like it became clogged again.)

Not wanting to play with it any more, removed the injector (one hose clamp, one electrical connection, two bolts) and sent it to be cleaned at RC Fuel Injection cleaning in Torrance, California. I will be getting it back this weekend.

Two questions for the assembled multitudes, although DR is the only respondent here...

1. Do I fill the injector with a little gas to prime it before re-installation, much like priming the oil filter?

2. The web sites I have looked at have mentioned a fuel injector puller tool. I did not seem to need that for the G650GS (although the shop I sent it to may have disassembled it further). Does one need a tool like that for any other BMW motorcycles, especially Camheads?

Moral of story: put stabilizer in fuel tank!