IGNORED

START 2017 - Maggie Valley, NC

Kinsley

Usually when I don’t have control of my timing, and I try to sneak one in- I lose a pair. I will miss you both!

Sorry, but I won't have control of my timing for FART either.

That can be embarrassing! Umm . . uhhh... A ..uhh.. friend once shared situation he found himself in. :whistle::whistle::computer:

Hate that you can't make it, but a big high-five for new opportunities! :Yes:

See you in May.

Keith - Keep hanging on, it'll be time to mount up before you know it!

One of the hardest decisions will be which gloves to take to START :refit:

I've been called a "Glove Whore" before, but it's now gotten out of hand because a friend who was also a Glove Whore stopped riding and gave his gloves to me.

i-dMcCn7N-XL.jpg

You've got to bring the Lee Parks. That's all you'll need, other than wet-weather gloves.

Edited by marcopolo

Ken,

You know Beth and I always carried 8-10 pairs, every trip.

:wave:

Nothing worse than not having the right gloves.

Events have been moving like a row of toppling dominoes.

April 28 : Close on Dahlonega house

May 1 : Close on Atlanta house

May 3 : Move possessions to Dahlonega

Western route is Forest Service roads; eastern route paved — Decisions, decisions.

0YN3Oo.png

You've got to bring the Lee Parks. That's all you'll need, other than wet-weather gloves.

Yes Mark, but which Lee Parks pair? :rofl:

I wore out a pair of Lee Park unlined ones (loved those), but still have the lined ones and my friend gave me an unlined and a lined pair.

I wore out a pair of Lee Park unlined ones (loved those), but still have the lined ones and my friend gave me an unlined and a lined pair.

Simple enough, bring all the Lee Parks and the waterproofed BMW pair, just incase.

Sell the rest at the classified section.

Glove whores don't sell gloves. That's why they are glove whores.

I have to hand it to you, Ken - you have this covered. Admitten you have a problem is the first step.

Unlined, with gauntlet (if that's what's in that pic)..

Glove whores don't sell gloves. That's why they are glove whores.

Until...

:(

I'm bringing some to START, some like new, good deals.

Marty, I'm sure there's a good story for why you have one glove. Did you lend one to the One Armed Man in The Fugitive? :lurk:

My Left glove on my beloved Lee Park's pair developed a hole on the index finger, maybe from too much GPS screen touching :thumbsup:, so I threw both of them out.

You never know when you will need another glove in order to have a pair. PS, they don't have to match. :rofl:

Size 9 ish? Come see me. :wave:

Me Too - I'm always looking for gloves!

PS, they don't have to match. :rofl:

Very true! My first 'road trip' on a bike was at age 17. I rode my GPz 7 hours to Frankfort, MI. A helmet and leather jacket and tennis shoes. Back then, I thought a helmet as ATGATT! Leaving for home a week or two later, I headed out at 6am FREEZING. Gloves? Why would anyone need gloves? 2 miles into my ride, I pulled over and dug out some dirty white socks and layered two pairs on my hands. :whistle:

I have to hand it to you, Ken - you have this covered. Admitten you have a problem is the first step.

I suppose I make enough grammatical errors by not proof reading what I post, so this was probably categorized as another misspelling and sailed right by. Admitten - that's funny stuff right there. Then again, maybe not so much. :dontknow::computer:

...but it's now gotten out of hand...

:rofl:

On the other hand, you have to hand it to him for always having a pair! :rofl:

Ok, you guys have me almost falling down laughing. :rofl:

This sequencing of postings is perhaps the funniest I have seen since being a part of the BMWST family!

Three weeks away! :clap:

Make Time NOW to inspect your bike and do a shake down ride. Check your tire pressures and take the time to examine your tires. Look over your gear while you still have time to make substitutions. Doing some stretching now will help your body respond and adjust later in the month. You'll thank yourself later, trust me. :old::read:

start%20templet%20whos%20going%20new%20logo%20final%20apl%203rd.jpg

Size 9 ish? Come see me. :wave:

9, uh no, if the glove don't fit...

these would be somewhat larger than that, perhaps you'd grow into them?

:)

Marty, I remember the glove story, I think.

But, I thought they were reunited?

Mostly XL, but one pair of Olympia leather winter gloves that ran large, I bought right before my Gerbings and never really wore much.

Beth's I'll have to check for sizing, M ladies, I think.

Back to START...........

:Cool:

Must be nice to have such small hands...most gloves don't fit my size 11-12 with extra long thumbs. The showstopper is always the thumbs haha. Maybe that's why I can't keep up. I'm all thumbs! :dopeslap:

:/ I think it's the ears that never stop growing.

:/ I think it's the ears that never stop growing.

The CarbTune I'm bringing should fit you, or someone.

Anyone riding down from the Northeast (PA, NJ, NY)? Its ironic that you all are meeting in Maggies Valley on that date, because I typically ride the down BRP about a week after that.

The START, and subsequent FART events are the progeny of previous

get togethers.

There may be irony, but for certain there will be fun.

There are just a few rooms left at our Host Hotel. For those of you on the fence, this is the first of THREE offerings we'd like to share to illustrate the point that you really should be in Maggie Valley for START this year.

On the way home from FART in Sparta last Fall, I took a bit of a detour to to do some recon in Maggie. I wanted to meet our hosts for 2017's START and doing so would give me a great excuse add another day of riding and to meander back roads and explore.

The sacrifices Ken and I make!!

Here's our Host Hotel - of which we have the exclusive use of for START.

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1457.jpg

Plenty of ride up, front row parking (right next to Bob Uecker).

IMG_1460.jpg

Large rooms with rear balcony.

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

And clean! When's the last time you saw one of these?!

IMG_1465.jpg

The parking lot social will have lots of variables this year.

Lounge on the patio by the pool.

IMG_1479.jpg

Get in the pool.

IMG_1478.jpg

Share your best lies under the trees.

IMG_1470.jpg

Savor the creek and campfire scene and practice the art of story tellin'.

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

Or ask the Scarecrow to help wash your bike.

IMG_1466.jpg

If you've not joined us before - Ken and I and everyone else attending would love for you to join us this year. We continue to return to these events twice a year because the riding is outstanding, and the folks you meet here are even more so.

You'll fit right in. :thumbsup:

The second of the three installments I mentioned will be posted by the end of the weekend in 'Ride Tales That Last' and will offer a small sampling of the riding and scenery one can expect in the area. Others will be invited to add their photos to that thread from previous visits as well.

Stay Tuned!

Edited by workin' them angels
Folkdancer48

Dave: Dick Williams (Folkdancer48) and Bill Murray (CCBMW Riders President), both from Wilmington, NC, can be added to your list. We arrive at the Creekside Lodge on Wednesday PM, April 26th. Looking forward to it!

Dave: Dick Williams (Folkdancer48) and Bill Murray (CCBMW Riders President), both from Wilmington, NC, can be added to your list. We arrive at the Creekside Lodge on Wednesday PM, April 26th. Looking forward to it!

Great Dick - We'll see you both soon! :clap:

Dave:

Thanks so much for the pics... I think. Make me want to fast forward the time so I can get there a little sooner. Cannot wait.

Mike

Make me want to fast forward the time so I can get there a little LOT sooner. Cannot wait.

Mike

Fixed it for ya! :revit: Just 2 weeks! ;)

start%20templet%20whos%20going%20new%20logo%20final%20apl%2012th.jpg

If I find a roommate, I will be coming up Thursday eveing riding Friday on my G450x.

If you want to do some off road riding I can make it big bike capable. Notice I did not say FRIENDLY. I will be on many different roads with various difficulty. But I will be there with you and if you fall I assure you we can pick the bike up.

If you are interested in a 4 - 5 hour all off road ride, just PM me.

Keep an eye on this space for a group announcement :lurk::lurk::java::whistle::cuz:

start%20templet%20whos%20final%20apl%2013.jpg

Edited by workin' them angels

Well, the good news... is I've finally gotten some work opportunities. The bad news is they're recent, so not in a position to take off just yet.

Hope everyone has a great time. I will hope to see you this Summer or Fall.

xoxo

Shannon

It's a game about miles

Blood, Sweat and Gears.

It's a whole new adventure

It's crunch time

You can't teach that

If the glove fits . . ask Ken if he has the other one. :wave:

Whatever your favorite cliche is; Ken and I offer you THE COMPETITION OF A LIFETIME an easy way to win some swag while riding.

contest%20annoncement%2057%206%20revised%20finaL%20final%20cropped.jpg

Mileage Estimate Contest

The entry that comes closest to guessing the total combined actual miles ridden to START for the group, wins.

The Winner can select their prize and it will be mailed to them.

To secure an entry, simply submit one original photo from 2017 START per person entering.

For example: If you're in a group of 3, 3 photos would need to be submitted for 3 entries. Photos can be submitted individually or from one phone/camera representing your group. If group submission, please list your group members. Husband and wife teams are the exception and one photo can count for both.

A sign in sheet will be in the reception area for you to record your mileage when you check in.

We'll be tallying up the mileage for those who show up on motorcycles.

Entry forms will be handed out, collected and the winner announced at dinner Friday.

Photos can be sent by text or email. This information will be provided at check in.

A 'tentative' list of START rider's origins - as best I know - will be posted next week. I do not have complete information, so it will just serve as a rough guide. Remember there will probably be last minute changes after it's posted.

Deadline for recording your trip mileage is 5pm Friday.

********* Please remember to track and record you mileage to Start ***********

This should be fun to see the total miles ridden to get to START, especially since some of you jokers take the looooong way :bike:

Also, the photos submitted for the contest entry may be used in a Ride Tale posting later, so let's get some good ones...or ones that could live on in infamy :rofl:

Well, the good news... is I've finally gotten some work opportunities. The bad news is they're recent, so not in a position to take off just yet.

Hope everyone has a great time. I will hope to see you this Summer or Fall.

xoxo

Shannon

Great news on the job front. You'll be missed at START. :wave:

Are those videos VHS or Beta?

Reel to Reel

Are those videos VHS or Beta?

Reel to Reel

Lol. I will have to take the longer of the two possible routes, to cause extra confusion in this contest. Do miles in a 4 wheeler count double? 2 sets of 2 wheels. :rofl: