IGNORED

START 2017 - Maggie Valley, NC

Kinsley

For those thinking about the Dragon, Knoxnews.com says:

Motorists should expect delays amid ongoing utility work along U.S. Highway 129, known as The Dragon, in Blount County.

Utility linemen will be repairing lines along the popular, twisty route near Calderwood Dam through Friday, April 28, according to the Blount County Sheriff's Office.

"Please be aware and mindful of the linemen, as well as Blount County deputies who will be assisting with traffic," according to the Sheriff's Office.

I'm not sure where to get more up to date info. Just a heads up.

Lone_RT_rider

If they are arriving from the North they could always shoot south on 72 to 360 to the Cherahala and come across. 😁 That wouldn't suck. ;)

szurszewski

Yes, the contest is a bit of a guess even if you knew exactly where everyone is coming from. You have to calculate how "out of the way" most of us might ride to get there. The final number could be pretty interesting.

The biggest "guess" is how to you calculate Josh Szurszewki and his family's mileage. From the point they were at when they decided to attend START '17 or from their departure from last year's UnRally in Red Lodge, MT on their trip of a lifetime! :S

This seems a valid concern! Our intention is to list mileage from our start in Portland October if last year (had to go home after the Un and work into September!) since we "intended" to come to START but weren't sure f the timing would work. I'm happy to give as many hints as the contest organizers think are warranted.

Here's one to start: we went from Portland to Bakersfield, then Altus OK, back over to San Diego, down to Barra de Navidad MX, up to Austin, down to Dauphin Island, up to Nashville IL, over to Nashville TN, down to Key West, and are now working our way up the coast planning to turn inland after Wilmington NC....

Good luck!

This may be a good side game to run for someone other than Dave and I :dontknow: , but I think we may need to keep it to miles traveled the week of START.

This may be a good side game to run for someone other than Dave and I :dontknow: , but I think we may need to keep it to miles traveled the week of START.

What day of the week? I know of a least 2 from the DC/MD area that are taking a couple of days through WV before arriving in Maggie Valley. It will be fun with or without defined rules. :thumbsup:

Life is not always fair, so I guess Ken and Dave can make up the rules to be sure one of them wins. :rofl:

Edited by Endobobdds

Everyone will get a participation trophy.

:)

But I'll be glad to double check the numbers and announce

the true, legitimate, winner.

Whoever that "cough Bob cough" might be...

:wave:

Everyone will get a participation trophy.

:)

But I'll be glad to double check the numbers and announce

the true, legitimate, winner.

Whoever that "cough Bob cough" might be...

:wave:

I like your thought process Tim - we all know you are extremely bright and of course honest and fair! :grin:

Dave and I are donating the prizes, so we don't need to win :thumbsup:

It's just for fun, so let's say mileage from today (Sunday) until Friday arrivals.

Only a BMW crowd could make a simple contest become this complicated...I'll call my buddy at KPMG for some help :dopeslap:

szurszewski

It's just for fun, so let's say mileage from today (Sunday) until Friday arrivals.

Only a BMW crowd could make a simple contest become this complicated...I'll call my buddy at KPMG for some help :dopeslap:

Including Sunday or staring Monday? Like, at midnight? ;)

My KPMG contact says the work week actually starts at 0001 Sunday morning and since you guys are making this feel like work, we can start it then :revit:

My KPMG contact says the work week actually starts at 0001 Sunday morning and since you guys are making this feel like work, we can start it then :revit:

Ever notice how many BMW owners are just a tad OCD? :rofl:

Work is a four letter word :dopeslap:

Ever notice how many BMW owners are just a tad OCD? :rofl:

Eastern time or local? ;)

Eastern time or local? ;)

I am loving this! However, if we are not careful, Ken might just stop helping us all and go back to his full time, heavy duty workload as a model and photographer. :grin:

You guys are killin' me...wait 'til I see you in the parking lot :beer:

Actually, Cabela's is calling and I will have to depart START a day early to get to South Dakota for a photo shoot, so Friday night will be your last opportunity with me :wave:

Actually, Cabela's is calling and I will have to depart START a day early to get to South Dakota for a photo shoot, so Friday night will be your last opportunity with me :wave:

In other words, after I invoke a obscure rule and clam the W and prize for the mileage contest, I'm doing a red eye skedaddle before there can be a recount! :wave:

In other words, after I invoke a obscure rule and clam the W and prize for the mileage contest, I'm doing a red eye skedaddle before there can be a recount! :wave:

Yes, I'm sure there will be accusations of hanging chads or Russian meddling before it's over :dopeslap:

On a side not everyone. Some here know what occurred almost a week ago when I was on a short trip with a dear friend. I am still coming to START though I will be a little anti-social. I am looking forward to seeing everyone Friday for dinner. On the Saturday ride(s) I will more than likely skip and do a solo trip. Riding in a group, as of now, will be a bit challenging for me.

I will see everyone Friday!

Mike

That's fine Mike, we're glad you're going to join us!

For Mike and any other new comers - START/FART isn't structured much, apart from the group dinner Friday night. There aren't any set rides or group rides - apart from what you set up yourself. Some folks ride solo. Some ride with a buddy or two. Some others will go in a larger group. Where you go and with who at what time is totally at your own discretion. Not everyone rides everyday and some won't ride at all.

The other main ingredient is the Parking Lot Social. From late afternoon/ early evening until late at night, the parking lot turns into a large gathering of riders conversing, meeting, looking at bikes, telling lies and consuming beverages of various types. Generally there will be various other gatherings here and there that branch off from the parking lot - and Maggie has several places to facilitate that as well.

Don't be afraid to introduce yourselves and make yourself known! There will be old friends who may be sitting in groups, this is not meant to be exclusionary, so feel free to join in and say hello! :beer::thumbsup:

Well said Dave.

At least you didn't mention the liars by name..Hey, that could be another contest :Yes:

Well said Dave.

At least you didn't mention the liars by name..Hey, that could be another contest :Yes:

That would be NO contest ... K-K-K-KEN! ;)

Edited by TyTass

Ken,

Dave listed them, I mean us, earlier.

Sorted by propensity to... I mean date of arrival.

:lurk:

Cabela's, guess the "eye" didn't quash things, great.

:Cool:

Ken,

Dave listed them, I mean us, earlier.

Sorted by propensity to... I mean date of arrival.

Cabela's, guess the "eye" didn't quash things, great.

:Cool:

Yes, I think the longer you've been around here the higher you get on the list, so you're a high ranking...story teller :stir:

Yes, the black eye healed 85%, so it wasn't so bad. I blamed it on ChrisK for sending him on routes with a thousand tuns :rofl:

.....Yes, the black eye healed 85%, so it wasn't so bad. I blamed it on ChrisK for sending him on routes with a thousand tuns :rofl:

That's a lot of weight on a motorcycle! :grin:

Talking about invoking an obscure rule, will you be counting your mileage when your bike is in the back of the car on a trailer? I want you to know that I am not asking this for me but for those that are competitive about all they do. :grin:

That's fine Mike, we're glad you're going to join us!

For Mike and any other new comers - START/FART isn't structured much, apart from the group dinner Friday night. There aren't any set rides or group rides - apart from what you set up yourself. Some folks ride solo. Some ride with a buddy or two. Some others will go in a larger group. Where you go and with who at what time is totally at your own discretion. Not everyone rides everyday and some won't ride at all.

The other main ingredient is the Parking Lot Social. From late afternoon/ early evening until late at night, the parking lot turns into a large gathering of riders conversing, meeting, looking at bikes, telling lies and consuming beverages of various types. Generally there will be various other gatherings here and there that branch off from the parking lot - and Maggie has several places to facilitate that as well.

Don't be afraid to introduce yourselves and make yourself known! There will be old friends who may be sitting in groups, this is not meant to be exclusionary, so feel free to join in and say hello! :beer::thumbsup:

Well said. About 10 years ago I bought my first BMW, a K 1100 LT. Found this forum and noticed they were getting together in Gunnison. Rode there without knowing a single member. Left after having been 1. Welcomed with a big hug from Momma Hoon 2. Chased AZ AL for a few seconds when headed towards the Black Canyon of the Gunnison Park 3. Had the privilege of meeting Paul M, the nicest and most humble rider I've ever met. 4. Ended up hosting a gathering of the Pied Pipers on their way to WV.

And then today I had lunch with a BMWST member I had never met and enjoyed a couple hours of conversation and made another riding friend.

Looking forward to the ride reports, the slight embellishments of various events and the pictures, oh yah, the pictures.

Have fun everyone. See you at the UN!

will you be counting your mileage when your bike is in the back of the car on a trailer? I want you to know that I am not asking this for me but for those that are competitive about all they do. :grin:

Bob - I love how you're always thinking of the other guy!

NO! Trailer miles DO NOT count. I'll be down for a goose egg mileage wise for the trip.

will you be counting your mileage when your bike is in the back of the car on a trailer? I want you to know that I am not asking this for me but for those that are competitive about all they do. :grin:

Bob - I love how you're always thinking of the other guy!

NO! Trailer miles DO NOT count. I'll be down for a goose egg mileage wise for the trip.

BS

You're hauling 6 wheels...

so mileage, times 6, divided by 2 = total.

:/

I'll have 4 tires, so I'm multiplying mileage by 2.

:dopeslap:

Then passenger, so redouble.

:P

Sadly, GT still sits in garage, amac supposed to get it soonish...

So I win fewest miles this year, I think.

Ohhhh Bob will have to recalculate and multiply by the radii of each wheel, as figured below.

x a x b = x (a + b) * (√ + ∞) / (ϟ*Ǝ) - (⅓)

---------------------------------------------------

‰ * number of times Ken says "Cheese" when they take his picture

Seems like amac would be happy for you to get the cobwebs outta the GT :burnout::revit:

ADDED: The board software does not like mathematical symbols :(

Edited by workin' them angels

Looking forward to the ride reports, the slight embellishments of various events and the pictures, oh yah, the pictures.

Sorry we'll miss you this week Bud. It'll be nice to see you and the new rig at the UN! :thumbsup:

I've had a quick ride around the neighborhood and everything feels fine - I'll ride to the Drs late this afternoon. A younger me would go ahead and pack-up the bike and ride it on down. I enjoy the solo ride down and back almost as much as I enjoy START.

Apart from my long suffering wife, I'd had good input from others here and will still trailer on down. If I rode down, I'm not at all certain I'd still have a long suffering wife . . :whistle::dontknow::computer::lurk:

Apart from my long suffering wife, I'd had good input from others here and will still trailer on down. If I rode down, I'm not at all certain I'd still have a long suffering wife . . :whistle::dontknow::computer::lurk:

We new you were a smart man Dave! :thumbsup:

Dave,

Would like nothing better...

But, some days can't even drive.

GT parked, on charger, Stabil, no insurance, or tag.

:cry:

So far, a reasonable week.

Looks like liftoff on 4 wheels will happen.

:thumbsup:

Sorry we'll miss you this week Bud. It'll be nice to see you and the new rig at the UN! :thumbsup:

I've had a quick ride around the neighborhood and everything feels fine - I'll ride to the Drs late this afternoon. A younger me would go ahead and pack-up the bike and ride it on down. I enjoy the solo ride down and back almost as much as I enjoy START.

Smart move! Like me, you have figured out how to stay married! :clap:

Dave,

Would like nothing better...

But, some days can't even drive.

GT parked, on charger, Stabil, no insurance, or tag.

:cry:

So far, a reasonable week.

Looks like liftoff on 4 wheels will happen.

You'd be more than welcome to come along.

We'd need to ask Tim how the extra bike on the trailer would would impact Bob's mileage formula.

Randy was looking to share a room.

Never mind. :dopeslap:

Bud

Bud I liked your post before you edited it! Ride down with Dave and you can use Mark and my room all day long to sleep, or whatever, while we ride and then you can stay up all night and party :thumbsup: .

Never mind. :dopeslap:

Bud

Bud I liked your post before you edited it! Ride down with Dave and you can use Mark and my room all day long to sleep, or whatever, while we ride and then you can stay up all night and party :thumbsup: .

Common sense prevailed. If I had thought of it a couple of days earlier I could have already been at Dave's, catching z's for tomorrows early morning departure.

Will see you all at the UN!

I hope your new place doesn't need an urgent unplanned kitchen remodel due to a slab leak. DAMHIK!

2017022608331771-IMG_1115-L.jpg

Whoo boy! I came close. A couple of weeks ago, after yet another backbreaking day packing boxes for moving, I started to fill the tub for a Dr. Teal's epsom salt soak. I like a deep soak, so I had taped over the overflow opening... Of course, I forgot the water was running, and found the tub overflowing. We were to have a showing 2 days later...

The laundry room is immediately below, and fortunately, the original sheetrock ceiling had 5' x 2' opening where I had a rotted trap replaced a couple of years ago. An acoustic tile ceiling below the sheetrock covered the opening. So, most of the water drained straight to the acoustic tile ceiling, leaving the sheetrock intact, only slightly damp. With a lot of fans running, everything dried out in 24 hours, and I replaced the acoustic tile ceiling at a cost of $80.

6w.png

vx.png

In the process, I discovered that the floor drain in the laundry room is not the lowest part of the floor....

Stopped in Baxley, GA for coffee. I am on the way.

You're slipping, Bernie. I figured you'd be in Joplin, MO by now. :wave:

Selden - you and Jake need to learn to read the signs - they're telling you to pack up and head to Maggie.