Originally Posted By: Jake
I hope your new place doesn't need an urgent unplanned kitchen remodel due to a slab leak. DAMHIK!

Whoo boy! I came close. A couple of weeks ago, after yet another backbreaking day packing boxes for moving, I started to fill the tub for a Dr. Teal's epsom salt soak. I like a deep soak, so I had taped over the overflow opening... Of course, I forgot the water was running, and found the tub overflowing. We were to have a showing 2 days later...

The laundry room is immediately below, and fortunately, the original sheetrock ceiling had 5' x 2' opening where I had a rotted trap replaced a couple of years ago. An acoustic tile ceiling below the sheetrock covered the opening. So, most of the water drained straight to the acoustic tile ceiling, leaving the sheetrock intact, only slightly damp. With a lot of fans running, everything dried out in 24 hours, and I replaced the acoustic tile ceiling at a cost of $80.

In the process, I discovered that the floor drain in the laundry room is not the lowest part of the floor....

Don't fix it if it ain't broke, don't break it if you can't fix it.