IGNORED

RideSmart 2017?

Indy Dave

Indy Dave

What are the chances of having a RideSmart class this year? Bernie and I both posted this question last year separately without much response. I've always felt RideSmart was a core component of BMWST and a tremendous opportunity and asset to fellow riders.

I have a surgery I need to schedule sometime between the UN and FART - if a RideSmart class was offered, I continue to be highly interested and would try to work around that.

Is there any interest in a RideSmart dialog?

Edited by workin' them angels

I can say that it did me a world of good, and I continue to appreciate the time and effort invested by our volunteer instructors. Hope it happens again soon, and that you can attend, Dave.

What are the chances of having a RideSmart class this year?

I took a BMWST RideSmart class over 10 years ago. It made me a much better rider and almost all of the people in that class are still active on the Board and attend most of the east coast BMWST riding events. Hope that RideSmart continues to happen.

Wonder if any of the instructor's could be talked into holding a class during this year's UnRally?

Not sure about the Ride Smart, but if you want quality instruction and are not too far from North Carolina check out www.motomark1.com - great instruction.

It's being discussed among instructors, & it's a definite possibility. When, or if, we choose the dates, I'll start a separate thread. In the meantime, y'all feel free to use this thread for discussion & I'll look at it as an interest gauge.

Indy Dave

Thanks one and all for considering offering RideSmart.

For those who don't know, I thought a little something about what RideSmart is might be helpful. Using the board search function brought me these 3 results. While none of these provide a definition of RS, I think the focus of RS becomes clear in reviewing these.

Anatomy of a crappy turn with photos

Ever wonder what RideSmart is all about?

Can we resurect RideSmart? PLEASE?

Well if the time and place work out I would do it again to improve my skills.

Same here! Except for the whole "again" part. It would be my first.

Yes it is being discussed. Danny's on point.

I can say this much however in regards to holding one during UnRally XVI ...

The UnRally is a time for riding, getting together and socializing, and relaxation in the evenings ... perhaps with some liquid refreshments. In short, it is about fun.

It is therefore not conducive to holding something as serious as a Riding Smart course. Where focus and an adult (and sober) mindset is of paramount importance for both the student and instructors.

In the end, they would conflict with one another. So, speaking on behalf of your UnRally XVI Host Team, I would ask that this thought be squelched out of respect for both activities.

Edited by TyTass

Now having said that ... Matt brought up a possibility that doesn't seem to be a conflict ... and that would be adding a Riding Smart class to the end of the UnRally ... say Thursday eve prep with a Friday class. That would not represent a distraction to either event, and might avail more riders to the training.

However, that is by no means a plan. Just a clarification to my previous statement.

Danny is on point and will make the call regarding the next Riding Smart class.

Edited by TyTass

I've considered the possibility of Matt & Craig's idea and voiced my concerns with them. Bottom line, RS is not happening in conjunction with the Un. It has always been a stand alone event, & will continue to be so.

I've considered the possibility of Matt & Craig's idea and voiced my concerns with them. Bottom line, RS is not happening in conjunction with the Un. It has always been a stand alone event, & will continue to be so.

I plan to RS every day of the UnRally! :thumbsup:

Edited by Endobobdds

Hi all. Some of you know me as the guy that shows up on the Honda at some of the SECFF with Bernie. He mentioned this to me and thought I'd be interested. I've done a couple of track days and a BMWNEF Sport Touring School at Jennings. I'd be interested in a class on real world roads.

Ashley Horn

There is interest up my way from a couple of riders. Like everyone else, schedules conflicts aside.

Just so you know, it's being worked on behind the scenes. We have some important details to work out, but it's lookin' pretty good for later in the year.

• 4 weeks later...
Shiny Side Up
There is interest up my way from a couple of riders. Like everyone else, schedules conflicts aside.

If Dave is going, I'd try to make it as well!

• 1 month later...

Now that the Un is in the books it's time for an update. Due to my own work constraints RS is not going to happen this year. We will, however, be looking at doing one next year sometime during the spring months. As time draws near a new thread will be started & we'll go off that.

Thanks for the update, Danny. I appreciate your (everyone's) efforts and commitment to RS