IGNORED

New-to-me 2015 R1200RT

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

In my thread Would you buy an ex-rental bike, it eventually came to light that I ended up buying the bike in question, which was NOT an ex-rental bike. I was congratulated on the acquisition, but also severely chastised for, you guessed it, failing to post pics. I've been sick, but today the sun came out, at least, so I rolled the bike out into the driveway and took a couple of mug shots for you. OK, actually, I snuck in a little ride, but I didn't find anyplace photogenic to stop.

35145607616_961186cc0c_z.jpg

35145606926_f5f04fe2b6_z.jpg

Medic Mike

The dealer I acquired my 2011 RT had that same model, color and accessories sitting right next to it. Some days I am glad to be broke...I might have had to live on that machine if that came home instead. Congrats Bill

Mike

Bill_Walker
Beautiful, is that the "low" seat? How many miles?

My resistance is weak for that color :)

8015 miles on it when I picked it up, and it absolutely looks brand new. It's got every single factory option. I have no idea which seat it has (or how I would tell), but the height seems OK for me.

And yeah, I fell in love with that color the first time I saw one, so when I saw this one on the market, it had to happen.

Whoa, NICE!

(I keep hearing, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors new RT.") Oh wait, you're not my neighbor, so it's OK.

Shiny Side Up

What a gorgeous motorcycle!!

I usually cave for silver - but that blue is an eye catcher indeed.

8,000 miles?? Are you kidding me? It's not even broken in! And - a top case?? NICE!

Great find and happy for you!

ENJOY!!

Very nice Bill! Now, if you get that topbox painted to match the bike, then it would look just like mine!! :) If you are going to do that, the paint code for that blue is B51.

Good start, but a color matched bike and cases always look great.

So...are you going to paint the bike to match the rear case?

whistling.gif

whistling.gif

He might Edd. But I'll bet it won't be green. :wave:

Nice ride Bill. Welcome to the 1150 to 1200rtw club!

MB>

Bill_Walker
Very nice Bill! Now, if you get that topbox painted to match the bike, then it would look just like mine!! :) If you are going to do that, the paint code for that blue is B51.

My wife has already chastised me for how ridiculous it would be to spend money on that, so it might be tough to get away with. I do like it better with the blue case, though. And it's not that much money.

Bill_Walker

whistling.gif

:rofl:

Here's looking for you to drop by and show us your new bike!

No new bike here. Still very happy with the Kawasaki with its subdued green color. Right at 30,000 miles now.

medium800.jpg

My wife has already chastised me for how ridiculous it would be to spend money on that, so it might be tough to get away with. I do like it better with the blue case, though. And it's not that much money.

How expensive could it be?

I've got some masking tape, and Walmart sells blue paint in spray cans.

Let's hop to it!

John in VA

$56

San Marino Blue Paint Kit Complete

Bill_Walker

$56

San Marino Blue Paint Kit Complete

Not I. Any time I try to paint something, somebody takes the brush/roller/spray can away from me. For good reason. So, I'd have to pay somebody else to do it. Which I understand costs between $100-$250, depending on whether you use the BMW dealer (on the assumption they know who's good) and how much disassembly of the case you do yourself.

I painted my Midnight Blue 13 RT's top box top myself with a spray kit like that and it came out well, although it had a slight orange peel texture in one area that was only noticeable up close. Directions are pretty simple and disassembly isn't difficult.

For my Platinum 16 RT I took the box top to a local large collision center for an estimate. I had masked it completely and removed the logo so it was ready for sanding and painting. The job was too small for the shop to do but the guy at the front recommended I go around back and talk to one of the paint techs directly. The tech offered to paint the box top (with the shop's equipment and BMW car paint) for $155 cash. It looks great and really completes the bike.

Happy for you Bill!! Great and dramatic transition from the 2004 RT! :thumbsup: Enjoy!!

If you want to join in, I'll be on ACH tomorrrow for some lunch and many miles of curves. :burnout:

Bill_Walker
Happy for you Bill!! Great and dramatic transition from the 2004 RT! :thumbsup: Enjoy!!

If you want to join in, I'll be on ACH tomorrrow for some lunch and many miles of curves. :burnout:

I'd love to, but I'm still sick. I'm supposed to stay away from dust and dirty air generally, which is mostly keeping me off the bike (among other things it's keeping me from doing).

Find a good painter and it can be fairly inexpensive. Mine cost me $100.

67882d1414172812-welcome-show-your-scoots-dsc_1617.jpg

Shiny Side Up

PadG,

Did you do all the disassembly and masking work before taking the parts to the paint guy?

If not, you got a great deal!!

PadG,

Did you do all the disassembly and masking work before taking the parts to the paint guy?

If not, you got a great deal!!

I did all the disassembly, which was very easy. No masking required. This is the "new style" large topbox, and you simply remove the necessary screws from the inside of the cover, which will release the outer shell of the case, to be painted. Oh, you also have to remove the backrest, but that is just a few more screws. I had also done the "old style" topbox for my prior '07 RT, and with that one you simply remove the backrest and disconnect the top from the bottom via the 4 hinge screws. The autobody guy removed the BMW emblem to do the painting, and then he put it back again quite easily.

Edited by PadG