IGNORED

Is a new Beemer a wise choice for a low mileage rider?

atldinan3

So I’m getting back into riding after taking several years off. Based on my life circumstances, my riding will be along the “Sunday driver” style - i.e. An occasional jaunt around town, for only a few miles. I won’t be able to ride with any regularity, however, I like the idea of being able to sometimes enjoy a short ride.

Initially, I was planning to purchase a late-model K75 w/ ABS. That was the last bike I had (sold about 5 yrs ago), and it fit me very well - low, lightweight(ish), maneuverable(ish), very reliable, and even though it is 20+yrs old, it had innovative tech for its time. I particularly liked the fact that it has ABS. And they are very LOW MAINT. The bricks seem to go forever. And at a great price point these days.

Along the lines of innovative tech, however, my attention has been drawn to newer Beemers. I’m considering spending a bit more and going the new bike route, specifically for the advances in tech. Most specifically, for the ASC. So I’m currently negotiating on a 2016 F800R.

Here is the concern: When I was talking to the folks at the dealership, they indicated that modern Beemers can be finicky if they aren’t ridden enough. I think someone said “BMW wants owners to put at least 100 miles per week on the bike.” Thats a problem, and it will likely never happen. I live in a small town, and my office is only 5 miles away from my house, so I sometimes don’t put 100 miles per week on my cage. In fact, I only log about 12k yearly on my primary driver. Again, my intent for having a bike is to take an occasional zip around town for an errand, or an infrequent loop through the country backroads on a nice Sunday afternoon.

Realistically, I will put maybe 100 miles per month on the bike in nice weather. In the wintertime, I doubt I’ll log 100 miles in an entire quarter. The bike will spend most of its life sitting safely in the garage. I kept my 1994 K75 on a trickle charger, cranked it regularly, and once a month or so in the winter rode it up and down the cul-de-sac. Never had a problem. I’m becoming concerned, however, that this is a sub-optimal environment for a new Beemer.

The nice folks at the dealership somewhat dismissed the concern, stating “Oh don’t worry, once you have a bike again then you’ll probably ride it a lot more than you think!” Incorrect. Its not realistic (or appropriate) to ask someone to change their lifestyle to meet the needs of the bike. Rather, I need to pick the right bike that meets the needs of my lifestyle.

So my question is: Is mine an appropriate application for a new Beemer? A new bike with the latest tech sounds like a good idea from a safety perspective. However, it makes less sense if it results in a decrease in reliability. Especially considering the fact that the closest dealer is almost 50 miles away, so purchasing a bike that will require regular tweaks at the dealer will quickly become very cumbersome.

Thoughts?

I would suggest looking into a new SV650 Suzuki. Less cost, just as reliable, great fun, simple to maintain or maybe even a larger scooter, or smaller displacement bike like a 300, Yamaha and Kawasaki or a 500 twin Honda. Good Luck with you choice.

The "folks" at your dealership are a bunch of morons. A great deal of BMW's are ridden for high miles, others a few miles now and then. Buy what you want and stay away from that bunch of fools.

I'm with 041100s, you can probably buy 2 SVs, or 1 SV and a KLR.

A In fact, KLR might just do the trick!

Shop around, sit on a bunch of bikes, it's a large purchase, study. Good luck.

The "folks" at your dealership are a bunch of morons. A great deal of BMW's are ridden for high miles, others a few miles now and then. Buy what you want and stay away from that bunch of fools.

+1

Finicky?? Low miles shouldn't affect reliability on a BMW any more than on any other bike. Keep your battery on an Optimate charger and whenever you ride go far/long enough to get the bike up to operating temp and all will be fine. Buy what you want -- but maybe not from that dealer.

I"m somewhat (?) in a similar situation to you. I've been away from bikes for longer than you, but have thought about getting one (again) for the last couple of summers. This spring I bought a well-used 1999 R1100R. I also gave serious consideration to a '90's K75 (since they are the bike I always thought I wanted back when I was riding CB's). In the end, I came across this R, and thought why not see what these boxer's are all about..... I'm enjoying it a lot so far (although not able to put as many miles on it as I would like... maybe 1000 km so far (since May 1) , mostly around town jaunts, but a couple longer rides). For me the attraction is that I'd like to do some highway runs (e.g. Cottage trips on the weekends), and maybe do some tourning trips to see how I like it. The thought was, it's not big $$ hit, and I could see how much I use it and upgrade to newer (or RT style) in the next season or two if it's something I see myself fitting in more of.

If touring or longer trips are not on your agenda, then I agree, you could probably go for a smaller lighter weight machine.... I can't say I'd steer you away from new, it's your money... but if you know what you like in older bikes (e.g. K75?) then you'd avoid a pretty large hit in depreciation, and paying for a warranty when you're putting so few miles on. Sounds like you've done this before, so you know what it's like to have to keep the battery charged etc....

Anyway, good luck with the decisions!

Edited by BF204

Buy what you want and like. Only issue with a very short commute could be the charging of the battery as the RPMs may not be up high enough long enough to replace the hit to the battery on start ups. Other than that, sounds like you know how to take care of a bike, get what tickles your fancy.

You seem adamant that you won't change your riding behvior.

OK.

You don't mention budget issues.

So, buy what you want, and ride it like you want to.

Personally I'd look for a [rewoned GS, maybe lowered (you mentioned "low" as a positive).

Maybe experiment with regular GS/low seat combo. Doesn't soound like you'll need an "all day" type of saddle.

Plenty of used GS bikes out there with ABS, and more modern than the K 75.

Nothing wrone with the brick, and you're familiar with it.

Buying new, a lot of money, and someone will get a heck of a deal if you're only going to put a couple thousand a year on it.

Best wishes.

Now that makes me laugh but you right on the money. He needs to visit a new dealer.

Most any bike will "work" for the riding you have in mind.

If I knew I'd only be riding for short trips I'd own a Zero with ABS. Good power, cheap to operate, belt drive, nearly zero maintenance. No tuneups, no oil changes. Unfortunately, their range is not enough for my frequent 200-400 mile day trips.

The salesperson you spoke with is an idiot.

Edited by lkraus

Totally agree with Marty. Buy what you like. I have 2 bikes and some years one may only get a couple thousand miles and may sit for a month or 2. They both always run perfectly. Get a battery tender and keep Startron in the fuel and you will be fine.

The dealer is out there a little, however, that being said, if you are only riding 5 miles to work and will only put 100 miles a month/quarter, find a bicycle dealer. It will be better for your health as well as for your budget. I am sure there will be many on this board who will happily purchase your bike after two years and perhaps 1000 miles on it, the depreciated value will help them and your cost per mile will be rather high. Its your nickel, do as you please.

___So I’m currently negotiating on a 2016 F800R___

Thoughts?

Morning atldinan3

The 2015-2016 BMW F800R is a very fun to ride motorcycle, easy handling & lots of fun at lower speeds in tight turns & curves. Frontal air management isn't great so not so good at freeway speeds.

You should be able to get a REAL GOOD deal on the 800R as that bike is being replaced updated & they haven't been a big seller for BMW. (if you don't get a "very sweet deal" then maybe look at something else as the resale /trade-in value is rather low on the BMW 800R.

If you do get that 800R bike & you don't ride it much then you have to be somewhat careful to keep fresh fuel in the tank while it's sitting. Or use a non alcohol premium fuel if it is available in your area.

While the 800R is a nice bike it has a couple of soft spots & one of those is alachaol fuel & storage. For some reason BMW didn't anodize the darn alloy fuel pump so they have a tendency to corrode & seize the internals if stored for long periods with corrosive alcohol fuel in the tank (especially if any moisture present in the fuel)

The way you seem to use a motorcycle the tank will probably retain fuel for a long time as BMW 800 bikes gets close to, or even over 60mpg, at lower travel speeds.

The other soft spot is that the darn present BMW 800 engine doesn't use knock sensors so as the fuel degrades it can cause combustion knocking. There is a low-octane fueling computer recalibration but that sort of ruins the ridability.

Valve adjustment on the 800 is a REAL PAIN (& expensive) as just getting to the top of the engine is a major undertaking & the cams need to be unbolted & lifted up to make changes (the good here is that you probably won't hit that mileage for very long time)

The BMW 800 bikes have a great ABS system so brakes are a strong point. Low speed throttle control is not so good as they are a bit jumpy at low throttle openings due to good low end torque & large throttle plates with an aggressive throttle body cable cam.

Most 800R bikes don't come with a factory center stand so if possible try to have one included with your purchase as a center stand makes chain lubrication MUCH easier & quicker. But even if you don't the chain is on the correct side for chain access while on the side stand.

Seeing as the F800R isn't an easy bike for the BMW dealer to sell you might have good bargaining power to get some accessories & first few maintenances/check-up's thrown in as an incentive for you to buy it. (don't just nod your head, be proactive & go after added items or services as part of the deal)

Look at a later model R1200R,the last year or two of the camhead engine would be a good choice.Can be used as a "naked bike" or get the hard saddlebags and a taller windscreen and head out for a long weekend.

Look for a well optioned(bags,screen,etc)used bike,and strip down to"naked"status when necessary.

JR356

Ok, now that I've given it 5 seconds of thought....buy what you want. Why in the world would you want a bunch of strangers make the decision for you? It doesn't have to make sense for god's sake, they are nothing but toys. If you can't make the decision you should not ride because it will require some decision making from time to time.

Ok, now that I've given it 5 seconds of thought....buy what you want. Why in the world would you want a bunch of strangers make the decision for you? It doesn't have to make sense for god's sake, they are nothing but toys. If you can't make the decision you should not ride because it will require some decision making from time to time.
😂💥🍻
Most any bike will "work" for the riding you have in mind.

If I knew I'd only be riding for short trips I'd own a Zero with ABS. Good power, cheap to operate, belt drive, nearly zero maintenance. No tuneups, no oil changes. Unfortunately, their range is not enough for my frequent 200-400 mile day trips.

Looks like he took your advice

I'm shocked...

:/

Took me a second, but then I remembered who posted this and I laughed a little bit... :ohboy:

Hi Tim :wave:

Altdinan 3, Just my two cents for your consideration. First your biological clock is always ticking and if you have the means, I'd buy the bike I wanted. As far as sitting a lot. Only a couple of prudent measures needed. With the ethanol in modern fuels hard to avoid and its' rapid degradation while stored, just use a quality fuel stabilizer in your fuel. I use Stabil Marine year round for my low mileage per year vintage bike and my main rider during the winter months. Next get a Battery Maintainer to enhance your battery life with the continuous parasitic draw on your battery from these modern machines. Note: My examples are what I use and not ironclad brand choices. For AGM batteries just don't use a trickle charger not rated for AGM use.

And by all means keep us informed on your purchase decision. :lurk:

Altdinan 3, Just my two cents for your consideration. First your biological clock is always ticking and if you have the means, I'd buy the bike I wanted. ..............

And by all means keep us informed on your purchase decision. :lurk:

How do you know the bike he is considering (Zero S® is not the bike he (now) wants & IS the right choice for him?

E bikes are more expensive on the front side then an equivalent ICE & they have range limitations but they have a LOT going for them.

I know this firsthand having been fortunate enough to pick up a lightly/lovingly used 2016 Zero DSR a few weeks ago. IMG_2581_zps9v7nj0ck.jpg

Buy what you want. Ride it when you want. I have an R1200R that sits on the charger for a month or two between trips. Sometimes the trips are 100 km sometimes they are 10,000 km, but in between I never ride it and it does fine. I think in February, March and April I never rode it, then on May 31st I left for a trip that so far is 4500 km and will be another 4500 km before I get home. But it is also happy with the occasional 100 km trip as well.

For short trips with a bit of flare I would look at the new 2017 Yamaha FZ10. Chain drive it may be but with newer chain lube technology and a little kerosene bath now and then what's not to like? And you can still tour one up on it.

Come to think of it the 3 cylinder FZ09 would be about as good and you could get a great deal on a leftover 2015. Put the Yamaha plush seat on it, set back the bars a bit, and maybe do something with the windshield and you'd have a pretty nice bike. :)

Edited by JamesW