IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) 2017 - Blairsville, GA

Indy Dave

FART ADMINISTRIVIA

** Group Meal and Awards **

We are a victim of our own success. Due to the efforts of many on this board (most of whom are behind the scenes), every Spring and Fall your organizers are faced with some unique challenges in trying to find non-metropolitan areas that offer easy access to great roads, clean and affordable lodging (large enough for our group) and a restaurant within walking distance what can serve 50 on the second busiest dinning night of the week. Did I mention that we have price targets to keep all of this affordable? It's a delicate balance - and you might be surprised at the amount of time and research that is put into just this aspect of the equation - route planning and research is even more involved!

All this to say that it is IMPOSSIBLE extremely difficult to find a restaurant that is willing (and able!!) to serve a group our size in a timely manner via individual menu ordering. The first table to order ends up finishing their meals before the last tables of the group have had a chance to order. This can lead to frustration for everyone.

In order to maintain the highest standards that a FART Awards Extravaganza Event deserves, we've settled on a set menu buffet in Blairsville - with adult beverages available.

Please be assured that we continue to explore options for every venue, individual ordering and otherwise - and hope to have a meal catered to us at some point, but that brings it's own challenges.

Thanks so much for your continued interest and support, and thanks again to all the folks (seen and unseen) over the years who have helped this event evolve and continue to do so.

Cheers!

PS: If you have a menu concern, please let me know.

ADMINISTRIVIA MEMO #2

PRIZES!!!

a) PRIZES YOU CAN WIN AND KEEP

testing%20again-1.jpg

b) The Traveling Trophy - Thanks to the Witch - it now sports a frog - so it'll hop around from event to event.

frog%20traveling%20trophy.jpg

Been away too long! Something just told me to check the site (first time in months!) and I found the FART notice....and I have time available to get there, YAY.

So please count me in and I'll plan on being there Wednesday PM (if Bernie doesn't wear me out on the ride up) till Sunday departure. Looking forward to re connecting with many of you and making some new friends as well. Have a room booked and am planning on Friday night dinner.

Ride safe!

Two dinners purchase via PayPal. We're still planning to show up Wed.

With even less hair, BTW. :cuz:

Edited by TyTass

I am SO looking forward to seeing you guys!!! xoxo

Hi everyone, here is a link for FART 2017 Blairsville Routes

There are 3 routes that start with rides of about 100 miles to restaurants, then options for the returns as usual. There's also a short but great loop in case you get a late start.

Receiving Routes From Others.

Your maps and preferences may be different than those of the person you received them from, so to be sure you ride the intended route you must do the following or cuss me out when you return...if you return :rofl:

Open the GDB or GPX file in your software, then make duplicates of each route (usually a right click will show the option).

Change the color of the Duplicate route (usually double click, then go to "Info" and look there)

Note the mileage, then Re-calculate the Original route. The mileage should stay the same.

If the route mileage is different, look for the color you changed the Duplicate route to. You will need to add a Waypoint or Via point to the Original route to make it match the Duplicate route. Once the two routes are the same, delete the Duplicate route, then load the Original route(s) onto your GPS.

A Route Bump just to be sure everyone saw The Blairsville Routes that Ken posted.

To illustrate the importance of making sure your route preferences are all unchecked except for 'fastest route', I had forgotten that I changed my route preferences on my laptop while I was out East and made a few routes. When I ran Ken's Blairsville Routes, the first one came up as a 600 mile route! Whaaaa?? The Witch at work?! No, operator error! Unchecking the modifications I'd made to my route preferences and returning it to 'fastest route' - and recalculated - and Voila, the route was perfect!

This cool, fall like temps we are enjoying sure gets the juices flowing for FART!

I can not remember which years it has been, however, some of us at our BMWST fall events have run into snow on our way back home heading north from NC/GA area. So be prepared! :thumbsup:

Lone_RT_rider
This cool, fall like temps we are enjoying sure gets the juices flowing for FART!

I can not remember which years it has been, however, some of us at our BMWST fall events have run into snow on our way back home heading north from NC/GA area. So be prepared! :thumbsup:

It was actually Spring of 2005 (the first year the Blairsville Witch struck) in Blairsville, GA. It snowed, sleeted and rained that Saturday night / Sunday morning. Big T and were supposed to ride back in the morning together. When I went out to my bike, my starter button was encased in ice. I pounded on the button for about 2 minutes before the starter finally engaged. I was initially pretty sure I wasn't leaving until everything thawed out.

On the way home to Virginia (Lynchburg at the time) it started snowing. As we road I-40 through Asheville, the lanes became two-tracks. I remember being very glad when we went down the mountain and lost 1,000 feet of elevation on the east side of Asheville. Then it changed to just being FREAKING cold and rainy. At least there wasn't any ice or snow past that point. :)

Here's Jakes wife Peanut enduring the cold that Saturday during our ride.

Spring%20El%20Paeso%202005%20042-XL.jpg

Well enough of that kind of talk. We ARE NOT going to have a repeat this year. We are going to enjoy some of the best FART riding weather EVER!!!!!!! :grin:

To illustrate the importance of making sure your route preferences are all unchecked except for 'fastest route', I had forgotten that I changed my route preferences on my laptop while I was out East and made a few routes. When I ran Ken's Blairsville Routes, the first one came up as a 600 mile route! Whaaaa?? The Witch at work?! No, operator error! Unchecking the modifications I'd made to my route preferences and returning it to 'fastest route' - and recalculated - and Voila, the route was perfect!

I never thought of checking the routing preferences. I've never been able to recalculate the routes and have them come out right. They looked really weird when I'd recalculate them. I unchecked everything but fastest route, and they all looked right after recalculating them. Thanks. :dopeslap:

Edited by Burt

Time to start your final bike and gear checks. Load up the routes and gather any gear you want to pass on at the FART Blow Out on Thurs Night. :clap: (Yes, there's still time to sign up to FART).

This is a good time to settle up for the dinner too! :read:

Happy to say I was able to take my first ride yesterday. Still a little ginger, but what a attitude adjustment a little ride can make. :thumbsup:

2017%20FART%20Blairsville%20templet%20attending%20Sept%206.jpg

I am SO looking forward to seeing you guys!!! xoxo

Backatcha!

Apparently I missed the dinner signup post and now can't find it. Would someone point me in the right direction?

Go to page 19 of this thread. Scroll down the page. There is a poster there.

I can not remember which years it has been, however, some of us at our BMWST fall , and Spring events have run into snow on our way back home heading north, souuth from NC/GA area. So be prepared! :thumbsup:

Fixed.

:wave:

Just a heads up, hurricane Irma is threatening to level my house near the space center. I may be, probably will be, forced to release a room that I have reserved for Monday thru Friday nights. Seriously 🙁 Bummed.

Congrats on the ride. Good for mental health!!!! :clap:

Thanks Bud . . . Things were looking promising. Saw Dr yesterday and he left it to me about riding FART - it's the parking lot/slow speed maneuvers that can be an issue for the arm. This was good news, as this arm is taking longer than the other and I didn't wasn't sure what he'd say.

I was planning on a 50 to 100 mile country ride today (depending on how it felt) and then . . . I slipped and fell down a flight of stirs at home this morning (slippery socks) . . . :cry::dopeslap:

As I writhed in agony on the landing, clutching my arm and dog licking my face . . . somewhere out of a memory, Of lighted streets on quiet nights . . .

My mind drifted back - here lay a three year regimental swimming champion and sectional tennis winner (I think a "Glory Days" creep into the mental narrative about now) from long ago, who was now reduced to writhing on the stair landing in a lump of flesh.

For you the blind who once could see . . .

It's clear it's time to sell everything and move to the assisted living joint.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but I don't think you can join one of those places at your age. I don't think you make the minimum.

Well I hope you can rehab quick enough to make it to FART.

I heard about one place that was promoting 'Topless Tuesdays'. I guess the nurses were topless for the morning med rounds - they were calling it 'Two for Tuesdays." When I took the tour of the place, I quickly discovered I'd need to be heavily medicated before med rounds on Tuesdays!

Darn,

Dave, Dave I'm so bummed to hear of your accident. If it wasn't for bad luck lately, you wouldn't have any.

Anything I can do to help in any way?

Bud

I heard about one place that was promoting 'Topless Tuesdays'. I guess the nurses were topless for the morning med rounds - they were calling it 'Two for Tuesdays." When I took the tour of the place, I quickly discovered I'd need to be heavily medicated before med rounds on Tuesdays!

Be careful of Nurse Ratched, might be BW's sister.

Terry

My wife and I have joked about these socks they make me wear at the hospital when I've had my shoulder work done. So 3 pairs now. They've somehow made it home to my sock drawer, and have only seen daylight for the photo. :old::old::old::old:

20170910_103749.jpg

Just to close the chapter on this and get us back to riding - I'd been out in the yard with our new dog and the heavy dew soaked through my "running shoes" - their term, not mine :grin: . So I'd changed socks to a warmer winter blend upstairs and went to the spare bedroom office and did some work - house shoes were still downstairs by the door. As I started my rapid descent down :bike: , I had my wallet in one hand, and new phone in the other. The wallet ended up in an adjacent downstairs room and the phone must have nailed a perfect 10 landing on its back, un-harmed. :Yes:

Who knows if I tore my shoulder - it felt much better after an hour or so. At this point, whatever is done is done - I'm not going through this again as the connecting tissue is quite stranded and at this point, so am I.

Bud - Funny thing, the bad luck started right about the time I bought a certain trailer . .. . . :spittake::wave::rofl:

Enough of this - I'm going to ride SOMEWHERE today, and hope all of you do as well.

Those of you in the path of foul weather, please hunker down and stay safe and save the riding for another day. We are all watching and shaking our heads. You're in our thoughts and prayers. I know that if you have needs, this community will be responsive as always.

Edited by workin' them angels

Good news, Dave. I am glad to see you are feeling better and I hope you have a great ride today.

No riding here, at least I shouldn't, unless I feel like riding through a carwash. LOL

At least I have plenty of time to come up with some real crazy routes for FART. Maybe that will keep me from going stir crazy. Bad case of cabin fever. Now I know what you guys feel like during a blizzard. At least we still have power and internet.

Be safe! :wave:

As usual, I'm late to the party.

I will be arriving on Thursday , and as usual will be rooming with Ken Martin.

Hope this storm is kind to everyone coming from the south..

But.... I'm IN :clap:

As usual, I'm late to the party.

I will be arriving on Thursday , and as usual will be rooming with Ken Martin.

Hope this storm is kind to everyone coming from the south..

But.... I'm IN :clap:

Great to have you, Steve!

Folks - we're EIGHT (8) days away from dinner and awards dinner payment deadline. Please take a minute now and take care of this!

Send $16.05 per person via Paypal to: startfarting@gmail.com If you don't have PayPal, you can use Zelle or just PM me and we'll work it out. Please note in Paypal comments your board name.

2017%20FART%20Blairsville%20templet%20attending%20Sept%2010.jpg

Edited by greiffster

Sorry to say, I'm out. Water up to the 2nd floor at home, I'm not sure what's happening other thN that since I evacuated. I released a room today that I had for the entire week.

William - I'm glad at least that You are safe and on higher ground. Please feel free to join us if you need an escape. Please keep us posted.

Enough of this - I'm going to ride SOMEWHERE today, and hope all of you do as well.

I got about 300 miles in yesterday, the weather could not have been more perfect here. And since I put new shoes on the Roadrunner, it was the BEST riding I've done in a VERY loooong time!! (I had no idea how hard I was having to work on that last set of tires. I didn't think they looked terrible... but now I know they were!)

Yee Haw!! Shannie Mae is back to form!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I got about 300 miles in yesterday, the weather could not have been more perfect here. And since I put new shoes on the Roadrunner, it was the BEST riding I've done in a VERY loooong time!! (I had no idea how hard I was having to work on that last set of tires. I didn't think they looked terrible... but now I know they were!)

Yee Haw!! Shannie Mae is back to form!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nothing like a new set of tires to bring out the smiles on as spirited rider! You should have a great FART! :grin:

I'm getting pretty pumped. Still trying to figure out the logistics, but I expect to arrive at FART riding my 2003 RT Lite. I think Paul would approve as he is the first person who I know of that used that phrase.

150523104585.jpg

Edited by Bud