IGNORED

Sticker Shock

MichiganBob

Good Evening,

I posted recently about my start switch not working and how the dealer alerted me to an open campaign to update both switches at no cost to me. This will occur on Friday. I received notice from my dealer that the switches arrived today. Get ready for this. And I preface this with saying that I have been riding BMW's since 1971, a bunch of them. And I thought I was braced for a shocking high prices sometimes on parts. The left switch costs 446.18 and the right one 199.76. Wow!! Unbelievable or is it? If we add three hours of labor at 100/hr, it would have set me back 945.44.

Someone help me get over the shock of this for two handlebar switches. I'm just saying.

Thank you once again BMW of Grand Rapids for looking out for me.

Ride safe.

Bob

See if they'll throw in a oil change and a tire rotation. Amazing what dealer costs are for parts. Bad enough labor rates has hit the triple digit range.

I know, I had mine replaced twice on both sides. It was sarcasm. Did you notice I suggested a tire rotation? :dopeslap:

Edited by 6speedTi
  • 2 weeks later...

Today's switches clusters have lots more functions.

No cruise control in the old days. No heated grips, no heated seats, no windshield adjust, no on-board computer control, no 4-way flasher. no control for electric shock adjustment, no switching for traction control.

Price of today's switches may be a bargain ...

Looks like my Lefthand switch has just gone. 2/2012 RT.

I've no Righthand indicators, although the bulbs work when the hazrds are on. Waiting to hear if there was a recall and whether mine has been done.

Axamax

• 2 weeks later...

Axamax,

Its very likely that both clusters will be changed out by BMW - even if only one is defective at this moment in time.

Cheers

Richard

Yes, BMW of Grand Rapids replaced both switches on my 2012 1200RT a few weeks ago. The said there is an open "campaign" on this.

Good luck.

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

I was told there was no recall on the switches for my bike. I ended up paying £295 for the left switch..

Took me ages to change as I had to double-check every step of the procedure as I couldn't afford to have the bike off the road.

A local independent BMW mechanic wouldn't do it as I had already bought the switch and told me I must've bought the wrong switch anyway if it had a cable coming from it.

Axamax