IGNORED

Ideas To Keep Neck Dry

RT5HTP

I'll be doing a trip soon and as most (if not all) trips go, weather is inevitable. I have a Klim Apex jacket and wear a Schuberth C3 Pro. The C3 has great neck seal, but the Apex has a relatively short-cut collar. There is a gap, that I believe would be exposed to rain. Now, I'm not adverse to getting a little wet, but I kind of anticipate that rain/water may have an easy access point here. Not very comfortable with water seeping down the neck. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Dave

My Olympia jacket has the neatest hood that folds into the collar. Keeps rain and drafts out nicely.

Otherwise I keep one of those cooling towels with me. Wrap that around your neck and it seals up nicely. Might get damp, but in some really heavy rain I have not had any run down into my clothing.

AeroSTich sells/makes a wind triangle that will keep rain and wind of your neck. It comes in different colors.

I use a microfiber tube with no seams, which is available from all kinds of places, MC dealers, Cycle Gear, REI etc. It helps in the heat and cold. It isn't rain resistant, but it makes everything a little bit more comfortable. And it is easier to use then a old fashioned bandana.

I rode the Canadian Rockies all day in a cold rain. With my Olympia jacket and a C3, rain down the back of my neck was not really an issue. I mostly credit my windscreen for this. Keep your speed up and don't stop :) Wet gloves were more of a problem. And my heated jacket liner was what made the ride bearable. Warm and wet is always better than cold and wet.

This issue is one of the reasons we also used rain gear, with our

waterproof jackets.

Use a rain jacket with a hood.

You can also add a neck gaiter (more for cold) and it will get wet/absorb but it is another barrier and you'll have the hood and rain jacket collar under it.

I have the Aerostitch triangle. It works, but selling mine.

Other tha a hood, in a real rain, the weak spot is the neck

and you will get wet.

Hoods good.

And, as a bonus, your riding gear isn't soaked meaning that you'll be able to hang it up withoput flooding the area. It will

be ready for the next part of the ride.

We kept rain rear separate, easy to access, and of course, use the garbage bag trick to slide rain pants over riding pants.

Yes, agree gloves important.

We carried 4-5 pairs each with mutiple rain.rain covers.

They help/work, I have other brand/material for mixed conditions cold/wet, and a BMW Windstopper balaclave that is excellent.

But, for keeping neck dry nothing beats rain jacket with hood under helmet.

:lurk:

Edited by tallman

Get yourself a garden variety neck gaiter for skiing. Pull it down over your collar. you'll be fine.

most of them are fleece, which works. you can sometimes find them in Schoeller fabric, which is a little more windproof and water resistant. But you don't need goretex or anything fancy.

Thanks for the responses. Seems like the best fix is a rain jacket with a hood. I have a balaclava and neck gaiter that I'll try. I'll use my HD rain jacket (has a hood) as a back up.

Have one of those, too.

Works well for most situations.

But, to keep dry , well...

Will bring it to FART, for sale.

There are numerous Schampa products .... the tall dickie fits up against the bottom of my helmet. For me to get water down it i would need to be standing under a waterfall .... and then I have bigger issues to deal with.

Have one of those, too.

Works well for most situations.

But, to keep dry , well...

Will bring it to FART, for sale.

There are numerous Schampa products .... the tall dickie fits up against the bottom of my helmet. For me to get water down it i would need to be standing under a waterfall .... and then I have bigger issues to deal with.

I have that version.

As you say, fits up against the bottom of the helmet.

So, have you ridden in all day rain with it?

I've done multiple long days in rain with every type of neck gaiter/design out there.

Water can, and will, with the assist from wind forces, find a way in.

Not looking to argue, and hope you never have the infiltration, but, it will happen.

So, gloves over sleeves, or inside sleeves to keep drier?

:rofl:

:wave:

I guess I have been blessed but yes have ridden in some nasty stuff all day and my neck stayed dry.

Rain covers OVER my sleeves for sure. But that is based on MY riding position. Have rain covers for my gloves with welded seams. Tried the Aeorstich triple digit covers twice and both leaked. But honestly unless it is cold out I many times let my deerskin gloves just get wet as they dry quickly.

So, wet deerskin gloves.

What oil do you use for them?

;)

Everyone is different, my Triple Digits from Aerostitch have worked great for over 10 years, no leaks.

:grin:

Best wishes.

So, wet deerskin gloves.

What oil do you use for them?

;)

Everyone is different, my Triple Digits from Aerostitch have worked great for over 10 years, no leaks.

:grin:

Best wishes.

When they get wet I let them dry and then just use a good hand cream on them. Figure if it works on dry skin it should work on dry deerskin. Has worked well for years.

The issue with the Aerestich rain gloves is they are stitched (or they were when I had my 2 pair) and they just leaked. The ones I bought are sealed not sewn and work great. They are also made with the option of how the 3 fingers are configured ... you can get them 2/2/thumb or 3/1/thumb. I really like the 3/1/thumb setup as for ME it gives me more control in the wet. Got them through a guy (Catfish) on the Valkyrie site.

Of course ... all the water is running down you neck :rofl:

For fun, try one glove tucked in, and one out and over...

:wave:

Tried them both ways .... my preference in rain is the gauntlet over my jacket sleeve. My rain gloves are long enough to keep me very dry. In the cold or cool I have begun tucking my deerskin gauntlets under my jacket sleeves. In real cold stuff my winter gloves go over my sleeves. Having ridden for many years in all types of weather I have found my personal preferences for comfort. But everyone is different and has his /her own likes.

I have a couple of Buffs that I use for this purpose. They come in several types for Summer and Winter. I jse them even in summer to keep tje heat and wind off my neck.

I have a couple of Buffs that I use for this purpose. They come in several types for Summer and Winter. I jse them even in summer to keep the heat and wind off my neck.

+1 .... use them ALL the time and love them!