IGNORED

Fuel Pump Controller.

RobinW

Bike got towed home this morning. Felt like fuel pump to me yesterday when it stopped. The 911 tells me the pump has failed and I don't hear it running at key on.

Pulled the controller out and made a bypass cable. Now I hear the pump running but the bike just cranks with no start. Doesn't even try to. Pulled an injector, pointed it at a sheet of printer paper and fuel is coming out.

The only fault code showing is the pump. I ran out of time to pull a plug but am I missing something.

Bike got towed home this morning. Felt like fuel pump to me yesterday when it stopped. The 911 tells me the pump has failed and I don't hear it running at key on.

Pulled the controller out and made a bypass cable. Now I hear the pump running but the bike just cranks with no start. Doesn't even try to. Pulled an injector, pointed it at a sheet of printer paper and fuel is coming out.

The only fault code showing is the pump. I ran out of time to pull a plug but am I missing something.

Morning RobinW

Fuel tank isn't out of fuel is it?

You might have a failed fuel strip & be out of fuel even though it shows fuel. (you could get a little fuel spray out of an injector even though you are mostly out of fuel)

Otherwise you should check for a spark next.

If you have spark & a good injector spray then possibly bad gasoline (like water in the fuel).

Nope. It was full of new fuel. I even sucked some out to open the pump for a look. I'll check for spark tomorrow. Very disappointing. Might start looking for a airhead :)

Spark looks good. It must be fuel. Dumped in 5 fresh litres and fuel gauge came up to 1/4 tank.

Looks like my issue is the pump itself not the controller. Plug the controller into the bike but not into the pump and there are no fault codes. My guess is it's running but not pumping properly.

After that flange recall where they replaced the pump assembly on mine, it's always taken 2 starter hits to fire up. It always started first hit before that dealer got hold of it.

New pump then.

Just in case anyone else is in the same situation.

The strainer came off easy with a pair of adjustable pliers. Probably no need to do this.

The plastic strainer assembly is held to a pin on the arse of the motor with one of those star washers. A moderate sized blade driver will twist it up and off. Don't break any bits.

Remove busted motor from holder. Replace motor and reassemble.

I got a AU$50 motor coming from the UK but it's bound to be a yum char. Beats $400 from that stinking thieving dealer.

Yum Char is a Chinese lunch time thing.

Isn't it universal?

So yum char = Chinese.

I guess AZ is a long way from Asia. Just next door here.

Yum Char itself is lots of tiny steamed or fried tit bits brought around on a hot rolling tray.

One of lifes little pleasures. You are definitely missing out there.

Then again our mexican food sucks down here.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my YumChar Pump. Of course it was not a direct fit. I made it fit.

pump.jpg

Bike now starts and runs,

I complained it was not a direct fit and got my money back.

Fixed for free ... woohoo ....

Yum Char is a Chinese lunch time thing.

Isn't it universal?

So yum char = Chinese.

I guess AZ is a long way from Asia. Just next door here.

Yum Char itself is lots of tiny steamed or fried tit bits brought around on a hot rolling tray.

One of lifes little pleasures. You are definitely missing out there.

Then again our mexican food sucks down here.

I think we may call that Dim Sum here in the States. You know, a Septic thing....

Just googled Brisbane's best Dim Sum and it came back with best Yum Char. so google knows.

Yum Char is with Tea, Dim Sum is without.

I prefer Vietnamese. Less fried and more fresh.

Love their baguettes. They make em with rice flour to add crunch.