IGNORED

Southwest Fall Ride 2017

BamaRider

I'm heading west on Oct 1, riding the Southwest and North Colorado. I'll be on my 2005 RT that is closing in on 100k miles. I look forward to riding it on this 5k tour.

It has been too long since I've had the RT out on a long ride. The last few long rides have been on the FJR. I've mostly retired the ST1300 from cross country rides. I've moved it to more regional stuff. Its hard to ride a bike with no cruise control out west when I have 2 bikes that do.

Anyway, I made a big mistake in the planning stages of this tour that I can't back track on-that being Moab on Columbus Day weekend. That holiday is not observed by anybody here in Alabama. For 99% just another day. So not really my fault I didn't factor that in when planning.

With that in my mind I know what I'm facing for my 2 nights in Moab. I've been in the area before ( 12 years ago) but I missed a few things I'd like to see this go round.

Recent inquiries into motels were in the 250 a night range, for what is normally a 80 dollar room. Nost that I'm cheap or anything but c'mon. But never fear camping gear will be with us. It was my thought to spend these 2 nights of the trip in a motel, but no dice, looking for campgrounds now. Suggestions?

Are any of y'all familiar with the camping at Deadhorse? What about about up the road at Green River? In Moab?

I'm always camping when I'm out that way - usually backcountry, but I have spent a few nights at Deadhorse SP and also The Needles district in Canyonlands. Both are great campgrounds. I think I'd give the nod to Deadhorse. It's up high and provides access to some great views, though maybe a little exposed if it's windy. Water has to be trucked in, so no showers, but there is running water for sinks and toilets. I see that they've added yurts, which could be a decent compromise between a tent and a motel room.

I have looked into modest lodging in Moab when I've tried to plan a trip for some of my "less adventurous" family members. I can't provide first-hand feedback, but the offerings from Kokopelli Lodging always seemed reasonable. They're not very fancy, and somewhat off the main drag, but that helps to keep them more affordable.

A few dustings of snow already in the CO high country, so plan accordingly.