The riding season here in AZ is just starting to get nice. We put in nearly 100 miles of dirt with a lot of varying difficulty hills, gullies, slippery shale hills, and baby head rock fields. One wrong turn put us on a two-track that turned into a single-track, that turned into a no-track, and finally into a cow-track. Lots of fun was had.

We started out South of the Huachuca Mountains

[Linked Image]

Sometimes being friendly pays off. Just as I waved at this officer he lit us up. I'm not saying we were speeding but we were going at a rather 'spirited' pace. He kept going without a thought though, and we....well, we slowed down, for a while anyway.

[Linked Image]

Following the border 'fence' it sure doesn't look like AZ here.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I was so busy looking at the scenery, I missed a turn. "That's OK", I said. "We'll follow this path until we come back out to our track. Well, this two track turned into a single track. That turned into a cow path, and we were eventually led to 'safety' by a cow with rather large horns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We eventually made our way to Patagonia for lunch at the 'Gathering grounds'. They have GREAT coffee and pie if you're ever in the area...the food is pretty good too.

After lunch, we started up the Temporal Gulch road. The AZ Trail follows this jeep trail to the North. It climbs up to about 7400 feet on the trail but we didn't make it that far.

[Linked Image]

My northern Wisconsin accent makes it difficult to understand...but just in case, one word in the following 30-second video is NSFW or small children.

Looking up towards 'Everest'

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It was near this point my riding buddy informed me that our current path was so far above his skill level that he felt unsafe. The 'road' we were on would have taken us up over those mountains in the background.

[Linked Image]

Looking back from where we came.

[Linked Image]

Last shot before I turned off the camera.

[Linked Image]

He dropped his KLR twice going up and once more heading back down. I suggested he get a smaller weight bike, better tires, and some training. It's amazing how quickly one can get tired at altitudes above 5k feet. Anyway, nothing hurt but pride and it was a heck of a great day for a ride.

Mike

14 R12GS
07 G650X Challenge