IGNORED

Forgive me, for I have sinned

beemerman2k

True confession: and I feel guilty (seriously), but I was late for an appointment and rode that K1300GT wicked fast and grossly irresponsibly. If any car made any unexpected move—intentionally or otherwise—that would have been curtains for me.

Of course, the bike will do nothing to discourage such behavior; the engine comes alive and only encourages you to push it further. If the bike wasn't so well engineered, I'd probably be dead now. Handling, stability in every condition, and superior brakes saved my bacon.

I cannot ride like this again ever. I feel like I perverted motorcycling by putting forth a reinforcing image that motorcycling is irresponsible. Terrible. At 57 years of age I know better, or I should, anyhow.

Ok James, one Our Father and three Hail Marys should do it. ;) Now get out there and twist that grip but just remember, the badging on the side does say GT! :revit::grin:

Confession-Box-story.jpg

Pat

Watching the movie, “Faster” right now. What's amazing to me is modern day sport bikes will give these moto-go bikes of 15 years ago a good run around the track. The BMW S1000R or a top of the line Ducati or an R1, it's be interesting to see.

Seeing all these motorcycle road race crashes is sobering. I certainly cannot afford to experience that in my life. So I need to slow down!

Ten years away from the sport may have changed the enjoyment level you once received from it. FYI, there's nothing to be ashamed of in that. It sounds like you're questioning yourself, big-time. :dontknow:

Pat

Ten years away from the sport may have changed the enjoyment level you once received from it. FYI, there's nothing to be ashamed of in that. It sounds like you're questioning yourself, big-time. :dontknow:

Pat

My skills have hugely deteriorated over the past decade. I find I often have to verbally remind myself to countersteer whereas it used to come naturally. I feel terribly guilty when I know I have ridden over my head as I have people who depend on me to exercise good sense to stay alive. I cannot allow myself to let them down. Slowly, ride by ride, my skills are coming back.

Yes, your skill set will sharpen with every ride. :thumbsup: By now it's pretty obvious you have re-entered a sport that has become more dangerous than it was ten years ago, IMO anyway. With all the added distractions drivers are tempted with and on top of that, the ones that just CDFS, :/ you need to be on your game 100%, all the time. It's a big judgment call on whether the risk is worth the reward. It's an even tougher call to make when people absolutely depend on you.

Pat

Pat

My skills have hugely deteriorated over the past decade. I find I often have to verbally remind myself to countersteer whereas it used to come naturally. I feel terribly guilty when I know I have ridden over my head as I have people who depend on me to exercise good sense to stay alive. I cannot allow myself to let them down. Slowly, ride by ride, my skills are coming back.

Interesting. I too spent 10 years away from riding. I had about 50 years experience on two wheels when, in 2007, I stopped riding because a job assignment prevented it. Last year, I took up riding again. I am not aware of any loss of ability. In fact, if anything I may be a better rider now than when I stopped 10 years ago. I spend more time now consciously working on my skills, whereas before, riding was more a matter of transportation.

The performance differences alone between your old bike and the new is enough to require some retraining and rethinking.

I just jumped from an 04 RT to a 16 RT and can't believe the difference in acceleration, things started happening quicker, all of a sudden. Cruise Control on the highway has already saved me from a couple of performance awards

This is very true. My K1300GT is worlds more powerful than my 2000 R1100RT ever was. It's a lot of bike to manage given how rusty my skill set is.

Hey Beemerman - we all have done things that afterwards say to ourselves, "Man that was stupid," or "Thank God I lived through that." So what you are experiencing is normal and yet a great learning experience to assist you in preventing it from happening again.

Just glad you are okay.

I feel terribly guilty when I know I have ridden over my head as I have people who depend on me to exercise good sense to stay alive. I cannot allow myself to let them down.

I too have had to make adjustment with my ridding because of recent changes to responsibilities that have been thrust upon me. I have recently become the Trustee of a very time consuming Trust with considerable assets and will soon be the Trustee of 3 or 4 soon to be drawn up Trusts. My wife recently asked me to not ride the bike before completing the Trust actions necessary to distribute the assets to beneficiaries. :( Lot's to think about!

Edited by Endobobdds
  • 3 weeks later...
Hey Beemerman - we all have done things that afterwards say to ourselves, "Man that was stupid," or "Thank God I lived through that." So what you are experiencing is normal and yet a great learning experience to assist you in preventing it from happening again.

Just glad you are okay.

Yeah James but does it wheelie?? :bike: :bike: :revit:

• 3 weeks later...
It's a lot of bike to manage given how rusty my skill set is.

Beemerman,

As the bikes of today get ever more powerful, the most important skill is judgement IMHO. Looks like you got a refresher class that worked out well this time thankfully! :thumbsup:

True confession: and I feel guilty (seriously), but I was late for an appointment and rode that K1300GT wicked fast and grossly irresponsibly. If any car made any unexpected move—intentionally or otherwise—that would have been curtains for me.

Of course, the bike will do nothing to discourage such behavior; the engine comes alive and only encourages you to push it further. If the bike wasn't so well engineered, I'd probably be dead now. Handling, stability in every condition, and superior brakes saved my bacon.

I cannot ride like this again ever. I feel like I perverted motorcycling by putting forth a reinforcing image that motorcycling is irresponsible. Terrible. At 57 years of age I know better, or I should, anyhow.

This wasn't after our lunch ride, was it? I'm glad to go out and help with anything I can to get you comfortable. We can work on RidingSmart, parking lot and balance, slow etc. Heck, I'll even let you lead so the GT doesn't feel so ashamed at having to chase the GS :bike::stir::money::dance::shake::cuz: