IGNORED

New Goldwing anyone?

TEWKS

Looks comfy, but WOW...that cockpit is "busy"

Reminds me of shopping for a new car last year and how much I ended up disliking the current automotive options coming from that side of the world. If I have to take my eyes AND a hand off the controls at the same time to complete a task.....no bueno.

gw_cluster.jpg

How do you find anything on that console?

2017-Lexus-GX-460-interior.jpg

Wonder what happened to my comment?

In any case, I like this bike. Probably will never own one, but I wouldn’t mind owning one,

Edited by beemerman2k
Dennis Andress

It has a Hossack fork?

gw_new_naked.jpg

EDIT: Front wheel travel on a Hossack fork is vertical. The K13S taught me that BMW used the Hossack fork so the 55° engine could be mounted as far forward as possible. Looking at the picture above it looks like the front of the engine is forward enough that the front wheel of a normal fork would hit it.

Edited by Dennis Andress
It has a Hossack fork?

gw_new_naked.jpg

EDIT: Front wheel travel on a Hossack fork is vertical. The K13S taught me that BMW used the Hossack fork so the 55 degree engine could be mounted as far forward as possible. Looking at the picture above it looks like the front of the engine is forward enough that the front wheel of a normal fork would hit it.

Repost of Dennis' post above. It didn't like the degree symbol.

I'm not a Wing guy, but that's like this new motorcycle. Love the beefed up front fork and it has to be the comfort king. Nice.

Repost of beemerman2k

It was the apostrophe character.

Honestly if Honada made a Silverwing or an ST1300 with similar features as the RT when I was first looking, I might have gone Honda. The GW is just WAY to big for me. Smooth as silk on the highway, but you can feel its weight on the backroads.

Mike

I love the Goldwing(then again, I love all bikes !). If the GW would shed 300# and have an electrically adjustbale windshield, I'd maybe have one in the garage.

Looks like between BMW taking a bite out on the performance side with the K1600 series and the Yamaha, Indian and now HD having similar power taking a bite out of the plush luxo-touring side of the Goldwing market segment, Honda had no alternative to bring the GW up a notch or two. Looks like they may have an interesting redo to this long lived platform that stays true to the original intent of the GW.

As for me the RT is at my limit on size and weight for a touring bike. Every time I get a ride on a land yacht class bike, I appreciate the supreme comfort but in the end when a motorcycle has a wheelbase much longer than 60" and weighs in at 800-1000 pounds they are just too damn big (IMOHO).

Dennis Andress

The Versys has a similar riding position to the the F800 GS I bought last year. The GS taught me that it only takes 30 miles of sitting up and begging before my lower back aches. I do the Master Yoda riding thing, taking all the weight off my arms and all that. I think it's just that my back is conditioned to low bars and leaning into the wind.

I found real comfort in the R1200 ST I bought last month. A 2018 CBR650F is on the 'someday' list. Right below a R1200 RS.

Edited by Dennis Andress

If it is less weight and has adjustable windshield with better suspension it will be a great bike. The motor on my 2008 wing was great and was the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. Unfortunately the pricing is going to be in the $30k range.

The next time I'm at the local Kawasaki dealer I'll check one out.

You should also check out the Versys LT models, 650 and 1000.

maxresdefault.jpg

I like the color! Sweeeeet!

The next time I'm at the local Kawasaki dealer I'll check one out.

You should also check out the Versys LT models, 650 and 1000.

maxresdefault.jpg

I like the color! Sweeeeet!

I agree! :grin:

35616567063_5ac54350fa_c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

got enough buttons to be a jet

and still eight hundred pounds before you sit on it. (833 with trunk)

Edited by CommuterChris

I had a 2010 GW and people gave me crap about all the buttons. I thought they were great. One nice thing about single-function buttons is that they're easy to use. Change to FM2? Push that button. Intercom on? A different one.

Remember those digital watches where you had to hold a button until something started blinking then push a different one (but not THAT one) to change something? Then a different different one to save your changes? I felt the radio on my 2015 RT was just like that. I flat out gave up on it because of all the "push this button 3 times to go forward until you're one step back from where you started" nonsense. Four buttons down by my knee that I had to take my eyes and mind off the road to use. BS. Plus the BT audio sucked.

I think there's a lot to like about the new GW. Shaving 90 lb off the weight is nothing to sneeze at. All the aircooled tourers (Harley, Indian, Yamaha) are heavier, well over 900 lb. I was disappointed in the mileage of my Wing (averaged around 35, started sweating by 200 miles). I wonder if the new one is any better especially since the tank is 15% smaller. DCT is sweet and it finally got a gear indicator!

Edited by WBinDE

I had a 2010 GW and people gave me crap about all the buttons. I thought they were great. One nice thing about single-function buttons is that they're easy to use. Change to FM2? Push that button. Intercom on? A different one.

Remember those digital watches where you had to hold a button until something started blinking then push a different one (but not THAT one) to change something? Then a different different one to save your changes? I felt the radio on my 2015 RT was just like that. I flat out gave up on it because of all the "push this button 3 times to go forward until you're one step back from where you started" nonsense. Four buttons down by my knee that I had to take my eyes and mind off the road to use. BS. Plus the BT audio sucked.

I think there's a lot to like about the new GW. Shaving 90 lb off the weight is nothing to sneeze at. All the aircooled tourers (Harley, Indian, Yamaha) are heavier, well over 900 lb. I was disappointed in the mileage of my Wing (averaged around 35, started sweating by 200 miles). I wonder if the new one is any better especially since the tank is 15% smaller. DCT is sweet and it finally got a gear indicator!

One would think that with 16(!) years of "idrive" uhh "refinement' , BMW would have figured out a happy median between the "Wonder Wheel" and switches and buttons. One nice thing about buttons and switches - you reflexively come to know where they are and can operate them without looking after a few rides. Toggling menus and arrows I'm sure can also become somewhat reflexive - but still would require - at a minimum - averting your eyes from the road to check the screen, etc.

Has to be a better way . . .

833 lbs before loading?

Maybe Honda can promote that like Pontiac did in the '60s as "Road-Hugging Weight!"

Two riders and gear and it's pushing 1200 lbs. which is why it needs a reverse gear to get out of a parking space.

There are some things I really like about this new Gold Wing! Some things I question, but need to see it and hear more before I complain.....

Lone_RT_rider

One would think that with 16(!) years of "idrive" uhh "refinement' , BMW would have figured out a happy median between the "Wonder Wheel" and switches and buttons. One nice thing about buttons and switches - you reflexively come to know where they are and can operate them without looking after a few rides. Toggling menus and arrows I'm sure can also become somewhat reflexive - but still would require - at a minimum - averting your eyes from the road to check the screen, etc.

Has to be a better way . . .

It doesn't come from Audi. Suzanna's Q5 selection wheel thingy was a pain to use.

Haven't read deep enough into the specs but an engine without costly valve checks (no valve check even better) would make it a no-brainer over the K-1600s, IMO. Already assuming the ride is going to be Honda refined. :thumbsup:

Pat

The 7 speed DCT would be a strong selling point to me. Not sure about the 5.5 gallons of fuel. I like range. Lets me decide when to stop. I assume this Wing will get much better fuel mileage than its predecessor, but it would have to average 50 mpg at 75 to have range that I would consider acceptable. Glad to see it isn't just me that likes the "telelever" feel on a road bike!

200 miles... average distance between Cracker Barrel restaurants on the interstates??? :rofl:

Well, I can tell you that my RT-LC won't make it between Cracker Barrels on fuel when running I-10 west of San Antonio. Fuel light has come on at just over 160 miles. Often on at 185 miles.

Dang Terry how much wind were you pushing...I don't even start looking for fuel until I am 250 miles.... at 160 miles that's aoout 26mpg... You sure you weren't describing your motorhome :)

Gee, I wonder what could make an RT get lousy gas mileage while running on I-10 west of San Antonio? I think it might be gasoline-induced headwinds.

The 1,833 cc horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine now features four-valve heads and a single, Unicam design. This is the same system that originated in the CRF450R and was adopted for the Africa Twin.

dr, I assume this means valve checks or adjustments at some point? Simple maintenance is a big seller IMO. And, something that I'd love to have on a touring bike! :thumbsup:

Pat

Edited by TEWKS

Interesting, but is lacking a number scale for both HP and torque, which I find curious.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-25_at_8.42.41_PM.png

Quote from the Revzilla article.

"First and foremost, they want to focus on getting existing Gold Wing customers onto this machine. Second, they want capture returning Gold Wing customers, folks who may have owned a Wing at one point but who now ride something different. And lastly, they want to attract a new, younger audience to the touring market by pulling them off of their current machines and getting them onto a Gold Wing. I think that final segment is still going to be their biggest challenge."

Everyone in the MC industry is facing the same issues. BMWMOA has struggled for years with a decreasing membership and their strategy of retain, re-capture and recruit new members hasn't shown any measurable increase in membership, though it seems to have stopped membership decreases. In a February, 1996 column in Cycle World, Peter Egan titled "The Same Guy", recounted a conversation with a MC rep who reviewed new bike sales from the 60's to then. He commented that buyers of new bikes over a 30 year period were the same people, just getting older.

The recreational sailing industry is facing that problem as well. The younger generation doesn't want to spend the time to learn how to sail. The costs are high and the lack of speed is a detriment. Compared to getting a PWC, going to the lake for a couple of hours fun and then parking it back in your garage, sailing is just too much effort.

This trend is also a problem for membership organizations as well. The Moose, Lions and Masons are facing the same issues. Younger people find their social outlets to be much different than their parents generation. The digital revolution has much to do with this change.

And, looking at pictures from UN's going back over a decade, it seems to be true of us as well. Lots of the same people, hair (if we have any) and beards getting more grey.

As current, long time owners of GW's age out of the sport, and the price of new GW's continue to rise, it's not surprising that sale of GW's has declined over time. Will there be enough younger, affluent riders to reverse the trend? :dontknow:

Edited by Bud
The 1,833 cc horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine now features four-valve heads and a single, Unicam design. This is the same system that originated in the CRF450R and was adopted for the Africa Twin.

dr, I assume this means valve checks or adjustments at some point? Simple maintenance is a big seller IMO. And, something that I'd love to have on a touring bike! :thumbsup:

Pat

Morning Pat

Difficult to tell until all the specs are out. Honda might have figured out a way to incorporate hydraulic valve lash control like on the earlier Wings. In any case boxer engines are usually pretty easy to do valve checks on.

Interesting, but is lacking a number scale for both HP and torque, which I find curious.

Morning Bud

It was probably the correct move, if they used defined numbers then they would have to also define the dyno type, ambient temps in test cell, air temperature at intake, air pressure, humidity, etc. on BOTH the new & the old at test time. If they didn't match exactly then there would be great controversy about the test numbers being comparable. The way they portray it now it is just a simple comparison of new to old so not a lot of details to confuse.

Dyno numbers lie like crazy if not followed by all the definers.

Edited by dirtrider

Wow, an electronic marvel. All the bells sound good but... who is going to trouble shoot all the electronics when they go bad??

Most dealers don't have a tech that can trouble shoot these systems.

Yes Honda has many dealers but out here in the open plains of Oklahoma and the rest of the West I often see a Honda Dealer that

has only dirt oriented bikes and quads and very few street machines. They have to sell what their area needs to survive but will they be able

to work on this new rocket ship if a traveler passing through and needs assistance??

As to Honda, their reputation has been seriously damaged with the release of the 2018 Odyssey.

The Odyssey was supposed to be the flagship of the mini van world but it has arrived with poor

fit and finish and the problems with the electronic systems makes one wonder what happened at Honda.

Time will tell if the motorcycle division does a better job.

Yes, I'll take a look when the models arrive. This sport has come a long way from my first 1962 Harley Sprint :P.

Dang Terry how much wind were you pushing...I don't even start looking for fuel until I am 250 miles.... at 160 miles that's aoout 26mpg... You sure you weren't describing your motorhome :)

Well, it actually calculated to be 33 mpg. Not sure how much reserve is actually left in the tank when the lights come on. It probably varies with bikes, and load, etc. I-10 West of Kerrville, Texas has posted 80 mph speed limits. I set the cruise on 89 mph for over two tanks of fuel. There was a front coming through, so there was probably a headwind on top of that. I don't push my luck on fuel, I stop and get some when near the reserve.

On the other hand, I have gone over 330 miles before the fuel light came on when riding the Blue Ridge Parkway! When traveling typical Interstates I probably go 220-240 miles between stops for fuel. I don't always wait on the light......