IGNORED

Fall Appalachian Riding Tour (FART) Sparta, NC 2021

Indy Dave

On 7/25/2021 at 10:26 PM, Skywagon said:

The route from my house to Sparta is about 16-17 hours with most of it I-10 slab from Houston to Slidell La, then north on 59.  On another forum (fishing) people are saying I-10 is all torn up...under construction and time is not your friend.  Several people posted what is a normal 6 hour drive to Ms is now about 12 hours.

Have any of you been on I 10 from Texas headed East recently.  If so what should I expect.  I was planning on driving straight through, but if it ads 8-10 hours that won't be possible.  All other alternative ways are quite long as well.  Thanks.

On I-10 in January,.....what can I say, I-10 in Louisiana is, well, I-10 in Louisiana, th-thump, th-thump, th-thump.  Anyway, from Sulphur, coming here, we do 10-12-10-65-85-285-52 (reverse going south), but for you, I'd pop 77 in Charlotte to 21 to Sparta.  (of course, this is for time and not scenery)

Thanks. Will plug in maps and take a look. Time is what I care about; eyes will be closed. Big issue seems to be getting through Beaumont from Houston 

roadscholar
This is what google says, I'd take Birmingham anyday over Atlanta and Charlotte, and 81 is halfway scenic..

• Like 1

Atlanta and Charlotte are both depending on time of travel.  I generally fly through both with minimal to zero issues (cept that one time when they burned the bridge down in Atlanta).

Funny how google maps will calculate a route.  Close mileage, generally same location.  I've been doing the 85-65-10-12-10 since the late 80's when I was first stationed in Camp LeJeune.

image.thumb.png.fd6e97e54fc434e1aa92730d36c85717.png

3 hours ago, roadscholar said:
This is what google says, I'd take Birmingham anyday over Atlanta and Charlotte, and 81 is halfway scenic..

I was born and bread in Atlanta, still live nearby, and I totally agree, B'ham over Atl.  I'm in Birminghan right now, travel here frequently (only for the last 30 or so years).  B'ham is a breeze even at rush hour.  The only time ATL is somewhat sane is 4 AM Sunday.  It is the Wild West on the interstates in and around Atlanta, trust me.  I saw a car (one among many) doing at least 120 mph in heavy traffic on I-85 coming into Atl on Thurs last week, weaving in and out, red camero, have dashcam footage. 

You will want to decide on the travel route using Waze on the morning of departure.  Forget Garmin and Google maps, you want accurate, up to the minute traffic and road conditions, which Waze has. Yes, Google owns Waze but they are different.   I run both Garmin and Waze, side by side, in the car and on the bike.  Waze is best for planning a route and between cities and Garmin is best in the city.  If Waze says "Get off next exit", get off next exit.   Or not and just WISH you had, either way.  I've learned and relearned that lesson.  Waze has much better detours, if needed, too.

I like Roadescholar's route the best.

The ride from B'ham up thru Chattanooga is scenic, from Chatt to Knoxville is OK, especially if you like geology.  Notice the cut thru White Oak Mountain, just north of Chattanooga.  You're in the valley until you get to I-40, almost Knoxville.  From there you are in the mountains on any road you take.

• Like 2

Thanks folks...I've ridden the bike up that way through Atlanta a few times.  I use to business travel to Atlanta pretty often so familiar with the traffic jam....I'm looking for speed this time as just don't want to get hung up on I-10.  Several folks on another forum have told me there is tons of construction and delays.  I was thinking about making this an Iron Butt SS1000 but with as much as 7-8 hours in the dark, solo, in unfamiliar territory, I think I may take an over night stay along the way.  Any recommendations that would put me maybe 200-300 miles away from Sparta?

On 7/15/2021 at 9:26 AM, Foot said:

Sounds like the start of a pied piper run for the TN Crew!

You might be right!

• Like 1

A certain, possibly new rider wanted to call me today to discuss our Fall get-together, the event, rules, and travel, etc, and so I started a to-do list of things to discuss on a sticky note as a reminder.  Over the weekend I struck off an item or two and added some.

This morning I have a full list of other stuff to get done but want to answer and fill in any questions for this new guy, too.  One of the other things is getting a haircut before I leave town in the early AM tomorrow. 

About 10 AM this morning I grab my phone, put the sticky note on it and head to the barbershop.  No appointment, it's busy, so I get the "new girl", 30 something, very pleasant.  That's fine with me.  I lay my glasses, bluetooth earpiece, car keys and cell phone with the sticky on the countertop behind the chair and plop down.  We're chatting away, "Where you from??", "What brings you here from California??" etc.  when all of a sudden the lady cutting the chair beside mine wispers something to Cari from California and they both erupt in shreiks with hysterical laughter, can't even talk.  And it goes on and on.     Everyone kinda stops and looks, like "what happened??" The owner, a gruff old guy at the far end says "What's so funny??".  Cari says, "We can't tell you.", which puts everyone on hi-alert.  I said "It must be an inside joke" and Cari says, "YOU DON"T KNOW??"  "Know what??" I say.

The other lady had seen my sticky note, pointed it out to Cari and wispered to her, "You better watch out because it's in ALL CAPS, IT'S THE VERY FIRST ITEM on his to-do list, AND it hasn't been crossed off yet."

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nTzCvjPrbbtn9wWf6

• Like 1
  • Haha 11
1 hour ago, Lowndes said:

A certain, possibly new rider wanted to call me today to discuss our Fall get-together, the event, rules, and travel, etc, and so I started a to-do list of things to discuss on a sticky note as a reminder.  Over the weekend I struck off an item or two and added some.

This morning I have a full list of other stuff to get done but want to answer and fill in any questions for this new guy, too.  One of the other things is getting a haircut before I leave town in the early AM tomorrow. 

About 10 AM this morning I grab my phone, put the sticky note on it and head to the barbershop.  No appointment, it's busy, so I get the "new girl", 30 something, very pleasant.  That's fine with me.  I lay my glasses, bluetooth earpiece, car keys and cell phone with the sticky on the countertop behind the chair and plop down.  We're chatting away, "Where you from??", "What brings you here from California??" etc.  when all of a sudden the lady cutting the chair beside mine wispers something to Cari from California and they both erupt in shreiks with hysterical laughter, can't even talk.  And it goes on and on.     Everyone kinda stops and looks, like "what happened??" The owner, a gruff old guy at the far end says "What's so funny??".  Cari says, "We can't tell you.", which puts everyone on hi-alert.  I said "It must be an inside joke" and Cari says, "YOU DON"T KNOW??"  "Know what??" I say.

The other lady had seen my sticky note, pointed it out to Cari and wispered to her, "You better watch out because it's in ALL CAPS, IT'S THE VERY FIRST ITEM on his to-do list, AND it hasn't been crossed off yet."

You continue to provide a little levity everywhere you go...good stuff!   jb

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Thank you for a good laugh! In these times we all need a little fun every once in a while.

Also thank you for helping out a newcomer.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Lowndes, I had one of my FART t-shirts on and the logo for it is on the back of the shirt; large enough to read across the room.  So, I am in a Gwinnett gubment complex, probate court side, and one of the ladies was asking about what my logo meant.   I asked her "what do you mean?"  And she replied, "on the back of your shirt, what does that stand for?"   I told her to "pronounce it; I do not remember what shirt I was wearing"  (yeah, right!  )  She sort of chuckled and I said "SAY IT." (channeling Sam Kinison, but not as loud) and she laughed pretty hard, but still did not say it.  By that time half of her co-workers were all invovled, getting some laughs.   I relented and told her.   

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
On 8/9/2021 at 4:28 PM, Bernie said:

Bridge from a former FART. This bridge will be included in one of the routes.

Guess which one. :4907:

99381E63-ED1C-491E-A23D-B463B9596263.thumb.jpeg.0dd356a93ff211bcbdfcbf91e77ba8e0.jpeg

Guessing the bridge that crosses Walker Creek (VA 670)?   That looks like it was part of the route that (hopefully) includes Byrnes Chapel Rd.  

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Guessing the bridge that crosses Walker Creek (VA 670)?   That looks like it was part of the route that (hopefully) includes Byrnes Chapel Rd.  

:5188: We got a wiener! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Reminds me of questions we used to ask as kids:  "Are we there yet?"  "Ohhhh!  How much longer?"  "Ohhhh, come on already!"

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/9/2021 at 8:28 PM, TSConver said:

For food planning can we try to get gluten free options for the group meals.  My wife has an allergy.

Shawn - Thanks for the heads up, noted. When we arrange for meals, we do inquire about menu possibilities for specific requests for attenders that we know about. It is not always possible, of course, but we do our best. From there, I communicate individually with those concerned. :18:

• Smile 1

Just a quick Thanks to Indy Dave for going above and beyond in making these events a great experience for all involved . I'm sure I will be bugging him and Bernie once again when the routes are posted. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, taylor1 said:

Just a quick Thanks to Indy Dave for going above and beyond in making these events a great experience for all involved . I'm sure I will be bugging him and Bernie once again when the routes are posted. 

+1  :18:

• Like 2
John Ranalletta
25 minutes ago, MachineJoe said:

+1  :18:

Look, Dave can hardly find hats that are big enough to fit as it is.  Complaining will motivate him to up his game. :3:Thanks for all you do, Dave and the rest of the F/START crew.

• Like 8
On 8/12/2021 at 2:52 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Look, Dave can hardly find hats that are big enough to fit as it is.  Complaining will motivate him to up his game. :3:Thanks for all you do, Dave and the rest of the F/START crew.

I can't even get this one to fit . . .

66686553_BURT1.thumb.jpg.2f7681c7cc864e473030c064bcd7483e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the kind thoughts and wishes - The Bumbling BackRoad Riders   make up the ART Team, and although you many not see many posts by them, they are all working behind the scenes to do all they can to make me look good - and you know that's a BIG JOB! :ohboy:  As a reminder, The ART Team consists of: Bernie, BMW_Ken, DaveCinNO, EndoBob, Macropolo, terryofperry, twistyguy, 60Aviator and Boxflyer. PLEASE BE SURE TO REGISTER ANY and ALL COMPLAINTS TO ONE OF THEM! :3:

At last check (yesterday), we had 2 x 2dbl bed rooms, and 2 x 1 dbl rooms remaining. We *think* some additional rooms will be come available in a few weeks when a wedding room block expires. When and if that happens, I'll post here.

1396113231_whosgoingtofartinSparta2021pg1finalaug14.thumb.jpg.f19fd18aae57a2e6e5b97e3bd821152d.jpg

929417134_Whosgoingpg2sparta2021Sept5.thumb.jpg.c1653068d0e3bf7b7a24cb85238bce60.jpg

158507760_whosgoingtofartinSparta2021pg3aug13.thumb.jpg.5f6f76b04aa05b8d7c4a65cac0049ef8.jpg

• Sad 1

NOTICE!!

Peter @twistyguy  has hereby BEEN TERMINATED with Immediate Effect from his esteemed job as Official FART Bellhop and Doorman! I must say, it was with some reservation that he was appointed to this position; as this Spy Photo from TMZ below clearly shows his lack of initiative and enthusiasm for the job. It's also noted that Twistyguy was quite happy and content to let his elders do the work, while he laughed and made jokes and conserved his youthful energy.

447838033_InkedPhotoSep2563914PM-1_LI.thumb.jpg.e8e1839bdaaabd26624cb027ec07625b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Indy Dave said:

NOTICE!!

Peter @twistyguy  has hereby BEEN TERMINATED with Immediate Effect from his esteemed job as Official FART Bellhop and Doorman! I must say, it was with some reservation that he was appointed to this position; as this Spy Photo from TMZ below clearly shows his lack of initiative and enthusiasm for the job. It's also noted that Twistyguy was quite happy and content to let his elders do the work, while he laughed and made jokes and conserved his youthful energy.

447838033_InkedPhotoSep2563914PM-1_LI.thumb.jpg.e8e1839bdaaabd26624cb027ec07625b.jpg

I guess he has survived the initiation process and has moved on to upper management. :4607:

The rumor has it that he has been promoted to Director of Parking Lot Management!

:5200:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Toter said:

In! Arriving Wednesday with a buddy.

Welcome - glad to have you both! :18:

On 8/9/2021 at 1:51 PM, Lowndes said:

OK ... just catching up on my reading .... THAT is funny! 

• Like 1
On 8/18/2021 at 6:02 PM, F16Viper68 said:

Sorry but I'm not going to be able to make it this year.  Ride safe.  

Dave - Sorry to hear, you will be missed! Hope to see you In Xxzxxxxxxxxxx, XX  Next Spring!

Cinco De Hurry Up! (Only 5 weeks Away!)

As of Aug 18:

1396113231_whosgoingtofartinSparta2021pg1finalaug14.thumb.jpg.f19fd18aae57a2e6e5b97e3bd821152d.jpg

929417134_Whosgoingpg2sparta2021Sept5.thumb.jpg.c1653068d0e3bf7b7a24cb85238bce60.jpg

1916010220_whosgoingtofartinSparta2021pg3Aug18.thumb.jpg.cdb1c10a75fc8a915cc5dbba46e999b9.jpg

Dave,

I heard that first timers get thrown over the side of a cliff with a rope and harness then everyone rides the road below and you avoid being hit like a pinata.

If this has even a slight bit of truth to it I want to be included in the "first timers" group as we missed the START event as newbies. :5188:

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

You are mistaken.  I remember that it involves goats or sheep, depending on the season..

But,.  (baaaaah,) I digress.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Toter said:

Will routes be posted, or will the rides be a leaders and groups style?

Glad you asked!!

Here's kind of a 4-1-1 on 'ART events:

These events tend to be loosely structured, allowing riders to make their own way, on their own schedule. There are a few 'constants', however.

1) At the end of the day, the hotel parking lot becomes a social gathering with riders sharing their version of the day's ride and other stories, often while sampling adult beverages. There is a enthusiastic Bourbon contingent and allegedly we have some home distillers in our midst. One provides their own refreshments - but plenty of sharing takes place..

2) Our newest tradition is Endobob's Pizza Extravaganza on Thursday night. This happens at the hotel and compliments item 1 above. The cost is whatever the pizza itself costs.

3) Friday night we have a group meal together. Details for the meal are announced about a month before the event. With our group size, I try to have these catered or have a food truck come to the hotel. Other times we will do a meal at restaurant. If we have a catered meal or arrange for a set meal at a restaurant (vs menu order), then we'll announce that, along with the price - which will need to be paid for in advance. Whatever the meal arrangements are, they will be announced 4-5 weeks before the event.

Glad to have you coming, Toter!

It's worth noting that we do not organize any 'group' rides! HOWEVER, Bernie will provide several GPS routes of differing lengths that start at the hotel and include a lunch stop and differing return options  back to the hotel that riders can choose to use if they wish.

Some riders ride alone, some in very small groups and some in small groups. Finding a group to ride with is easily done - generally during the parking lot social the night before or early the next morning. Some leave at the crack of dawn, most leave at more normal hours and still others need their beauty sleep - so there's something for everyone. Routes will be released about a month before the event, with a link posted in the thread, and also posted to the first post  of the event thread.

**Keep an eye on the first page, as meal announcements and the final event itinerary will be posted there (as well as in this thread) in the next week or so. The BBR Team will be offering a few new opportunities this Fall. :5147:

Please let me know if you have any questions!

• Like 3

Spoiler alert:   we are 4 weeks and 4 days out, so let's get with the program.  :bike:

Looking forward to it!

• Like 1