IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

John Ranalletta

Still don't know why the right cylinder stopped firing, we swapped coils, stepper motors and replaced/reprogrammed the TPS without success.  On a whim, I switched the injectors and the RT started up and runs as normal though it's still apart on the lift.  I've no idea other than the injector failed but question that since it operates since switched.  @Indy Dave suggests a possible electrical issue.  Could be just moving stuff around caused a change.  Dunno'.  Appreciate Dave's help and loan of the GS-911.

BamaJohn
27 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Still don't know why the right cylinder stopped firing, we swapped coils, stepper motors and replaced/reprogrammed the TPS without success.  On a whim, I switched the injectors and the RT started up and runs as normal though it's still apart on the lift.  I've no idea other than the injector failed but question that since it operates since switched.  @Indy Dave suggests a possible electrical issue.  Could be just moving stuff around caused a change.  Dunno'.  Appreciate Dave's help and loan of the GS-911.

Hope the gremlin disappeared with injector-swap.

LOVE your signature line!

• Thanks 1
beemerboy

^^^^ one of my favorite bikes in my favorite color. Many years back I was asked by a fellow inmate to store one just like yours. I got a few months of riding privileges and a fine bottle of wine when he picked it up. :dance:

• Haha 1
beemerboy

Today's ride: Colorado Springs to Florence past the Supermax prison then over Wet Mountain Pass into Westcliffe where I turned right onto CO Hwy 69 to Texas Creek. I then took Hwy 50 along the Arkansas River into Canyon City with a detour over Skyline Drive:

https://canoncitycolorado.com/skyline-drive/

At the intersection of Hwy's 69 and 50

IMG_8195-XL.jpg

Hyw 69 is below this rock formation

IMG_8197-XL.jpg

Skyline Drive isn't for the faint of heart. Looking southeast

IMG_8198-XL.jpg

I turned 180 degrees to take this pic looking directly west

IMG_8199-XL.jpg

It was a very nice ride that included a 25 degree swing in temps. 185 miles in total and I managed to be doing the speed limit each time I passed an unmarked LEO. :whistle:

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
BamaJohn

With a break in the 95 degree F plus 85% humidity, I followed the Spyder's nose up to the highest point in Alabama, Mt Cheaha.  

Riding south along Highway 281 is a favorite ride, and at one Scenic viewing place, the Spyder nosed up to a 1942 Studebaker Commander for a chat.

The owner of the car is 3 years older than the car, and we had an enjoyable chat too.  

You know the kind of road 281 is..elevation changes and tight sweepers that make 50mph an exhilarating ride.

His story is that there are only 2 of the 1942 Studebaker's in existence and he knows where the other one is located.  He spent 3 years on restoring his car with a lot of modern components, and says the other car is totally original.

The story goes that the factory had 2 cars already produced when the company contracted to build Jeeps for the war effort...thus only 2 were made.

I didn't check the story, 'cause it's a good one, and I want to believe it.

The rest of the ride was added soul juice...life is good!

IMG_8035.JPG

• Like 12

Wow, small state!   A few of us ATL crew came across that very Studebaker on our way to Barber for Vintage Festival last October.   Pretty cool story, John.

• Like 4

Finally got around to the computer and found a few places of this year's annual Sturgis run.

If you're near Chickasha, OK you can find this historic monument to the movie "A Christmas Carol" right down next to the train station.

i-x7f9VbR-L.jpg

And, if you're a long distance rider and have a tendency to stand up on the pegs while running down the interstate, kindly remember that it is not actually legal to do that in pretty much every state, including Wyoming.

Luckily, once I explained to the officer just why I was standing up in the middle of nowhere, he issued a warning and we talked about police work for awhile and graciously allowed me to take a photo as a memento of Wyoming.

i-X5zxm59-L.jpg

AD

• Like 12

I rode straight down to Ormond Beach today to have my software updated to cure a problem with the turn signal canceling system.

On the right home I was allowed to ride through 5 separate heavy rain showers. It was nice to get a cool shower at 70 mph or less.

• Like 3
  • Smile 4

Rode the Kancamagus highway today. It’s been ridden many times but got to do it with my two Jim friends.

IMG_5931.thumb.jpeg.0e5810da61a7bc0f31cb7b7d61c0484a.jpeg

A Motley crew of motorcycles. :spittake:

edit.. The Jim on the right, we met in HS. We were two of the three motorcycle riders in the school parking lot. He had an XT 500 and I had a GS 750 (know I’m repeating myself) but with some large pauses, we’ve been riding together for 42 years. Thought that was a worthwhile edit. 

• Like 11
13 hours ago, ADulay said:

Finally got around to the computer and found a few places of this year's annual Sturgis run.

If you're near Chickasha, OK you can find this historic monument to the movie "A Christmas Carol" right down next to the train station.

i-x7f9VbR-L.jpg

And, if you're a long distance rider and have a tendency to stand up on the pegs while running down the interstate, kindly remember that it is not actually legal to do that in pretty much every state, including Wyoming.

Luckily, once I explained to the officer just why I was standing up in the middle of nowhere, he issued a warning and we talked about police work for awhile and graciously allowed me to take a photo as a memento of Wyoming.

i-X5zxm59-L.jpg

AD

So, what would the citation be written for?  Doubt there is a violation code for "standing on pegs".

• Thinking 1

I have spent the week in Marietta, OH at the MSTA FlyBy Week event.  A lot of fun and some great roads.

IMG_4422.jpeg

• Like 8
Hosstage
5 hours ago, Red said:

So, what would the citation be written for?  Doubt there is a violation code for "standing on pegs".

From the motor vehicle statutes of MN:

(c) Except for passengers of sidecars, drivers and passengers of three-wheeled motorcycles, and persons in an autocycle, no person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle except while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.

• Thanks 1
Lone_RT_rider
2 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

From the motor vehicle statutes of MN:

(c) Except for passengers of sidecars, drivers and passengers of three-wheeled motorcycles, and persons in an autocycle, no person shall operate or ride upon a motorcycle except while sitting astride the seat, facing forward, with one leg on either side of the motorcycle.

While heading to the SECF event last March, @Chris K @wbw6cos and I were flashed by a cop as we were up on the pegs stretching a bit. After all the stunting that has gone on here in this area, I'm not surprised that they are a bit sensitive to it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, ADulay said:

the officer

Poor guy musta been bored as hell.........

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/22/2024 at 6:37 AM, wbw6cos said:

Wow, small state!   A few of us ATL crew came across that very Studebaker on our way to Barber for Vintage Festival last October.   Pretty cool story, John.

He was doing crossword puzzles at the overlook in his car. 

IMG_20231006_102245298_HDR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Heading down from Trout Creek Pass into Buena Vista, Mount Princeton was ringed by clouds this morning.  Stunning sight to enjoyIMG_8908.jpg.fecba7a172a241d9515735c96a3dbb94.jpg

• Like 7

IMG_3805.thumb.jpeg.b3cdfbd813fe93bc1eeef1f22f16629c.jpeg

IMG_3811.thumb.jpeg.af014b9a82b7e48eca90cd6e784bcb71.jpeg

A couple pics of my ride Wednesday.

More details in my posting in HexHeads.

A fun ride was after pushing bike onto the lowered tilted tilt bed, THen stand there holding the bike's front brake, while operator raised up the tilt bed up and to level.

(And, yes, I will be discussing the tiedown method used by this AMA Roadside Service vendor with AMA customer service.)

Turns out that the engine just cutting out without sputtering, wasnt some failure like I thought.
Apparently, just ran out of gas, dispite not any low fuel warnings and guage still showing some. 

Again, more details in HexHeads.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Redman said:

A fun ride was after pushing bike onto the lowered tilted tilt bed, THen stand there holding the bike's front brake, while operator raised up the tilt bed up and to level.

Taken that ride many a time..........

On 8/22/2024 at 12:35 PM, ADulay said:

i-x7f9VbR-L.jpg

i-X5zxm59-L.jpg

AD

Uh, the correct title of that movie was "A Christmas Story" from 1983.

Couldn't find a way to edit the original post.

AD

BamaJohn

Temperature at The Treehouse this morning at 6am was 60 degrees F with low humidity.....just like I asked for!

So, I met a pal at Leaders Coffee Shop in Columbiana AL for coffee & Croissant, then went "walkabout" on the bikes with no particular plan in mind..  

One noteworthy POI is the video below....a children's train that runs around the Calera Alabama Train Museum.  This was the only train moving while we were there.

• Like 3
33 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

One noteworthy POI is the video below....a children's train that runs around the Calera Alabama Train Museum.  This was the only train moving while we were there.

IMG_8038.MOV

Small world.

Was just there this month heading up to Sturgis.   At the time I think the entire PD was in McDonald's having their morning coffee and briefing!   Nine guys all sitting and drinking coffee.

Took me by surprise when I walked in.

AD

i-R7TX2W2-L.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
On 8/23/2024 at 2:28 AM, Red said:

Yup …. Pretty common law in many states. 

Also, I find it a bit ironic in Ohio is against the law to ride with ear plugs but no helmet law! 

Today was near perfect weather in Charlotte,  finally cooled down. Joe Bock @AppFanwas up for a trip to the mountains on his “new to him” RT.  (He actually bought Don Miller’s RT after Don passed)   Was a great 300ish mile ride up to restaurant at Little Switzerland Inn 😊.   Food is great and you can’t beat the view!  Rode up 171 and back on 226A 👍

IMG_3073.thumb.jpeg.2155a0889f10dd08304a7cddb16d82b2.jpegIMG_3068.thumb.jpeg.0fb344f08b91b970ca4c147000fe30d3.jpegIMG_3070.thumb.jpeg.53bbfc909fecaf3be988d73e8c93d53b.jpegIMG_3075.thumb.jpeg.43f6ad8dca7bac50dddf281cba9fac67.jpegIMG_3074.thumb.jpeg.77e66bdc9e4d9ef05df3501344c906fa.jpeg

• Like 11
Dennis Andress

I rode up Kitt Peak this morning. It was certainly a memory...

L1000811.JPG

At the top, as I was sitting by the Visitor Center eating my sandwich, this official looking car pulls up, and a gentleman spends several minutes getting out of the passenger's side of the car. He bitched a little as he walked by me, his body twisted and contorted with age: "The damn gravity on this planet is trying to kill me!"  Spoken like an astronomer.

L1000805.JPG

Baboquivari Peak. Holy ground in Indian lore...

L1000794.JPG

• Like 10
  • Plus 1 1
beemerboy

Taken yesterday on Hwy 9 between Guffey and Hartsel, CO:

IMG_8219-X2.jpg

Upon arriving home I changed clothes and started doing some chores to include cutting up some wood. My circular saw bit into the wood and kicked back into my left hand. Bad news for my left index finger but it's still attached despite two deep cuts, I'm seeing a hand surgeon tomorrow. I asked the PA who was doing the stitching how long it'll be before I can ride again and he looks at me and says "That depends on your pain threshold." I don't think I'll be posting any ride pics for a while.....like maybe 48 hours.... :dopeslap:

Index%20finger-X2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 8
Hank in WV

Cut mine clean off and had to have sewn back on. Doesn't work real well, but at least it fills out my gloves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 2
30 minutes ago, Hank in WV said:

Cut mine clean off and had to have sewn back on. Doesn't work real well, but at least it fills out my gloves.

Now I’m not sure if it was deserved :dontknow: but, I saw a lot of that finger on the NEBDR ride! :spittake:

image.jpeg.65d38ff7c66f1d917a75c81631e1ff52.jpeg

• Haha 5
Rinkydink

Rode to Springfield IL for the mile dirt track races Sat.and Sun. Crossed the Mississippi on the St Genevieve ferry. Ran across a herd of elk in Waterloo IL. Headed to the UP. 

IMG_8216.jpeg

IMG_8215.jpeg

IMG_8219.jpeg

IMG_8230.jpeg

IMG_8213.jpeg

• Like 11
duckhawk64

Landed at DART territory airport near Mike and Victoria's Borah Borah ridge top ranch.

20240831_092840.jpg

• Like 3

Prairie du Chien is a very cool town!   Stopped there for the first time on our way to Redmond in June.

Fraziers was the best! 

i-Zzq73TS-X2.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, duckhawk64 said:

Prairie Du Chien, International. 

20240831_105535.jpg

You should get in touch with Mike Patey, he could probably sell you some bike mounts. :yes: That’s ^ a nice way to get around! :thumbsup:
image.thumb.jpeg.26f1dd032838d2d8a84f9fd0339f1d98.jpeg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

You should get in touch with Mike Patey, he could probably sell you some bike mounts. :yes: That’s ^ a nice way to get around! :thumbsup:
image.thumb.jpeg.26f1dd032838d2d8a84f9fd0339f1d98.jpeg

Jeeesh ... looks like our next ART location we may need to add "landing strip" to our checklist !! :grin:

• Plus 1 1

A month or so ago a storm came through and tested the local tree integrity. The small town fireman’s carnival suffered the pass/fail results.

IMG_0008.thumb.jpeg.3354070f096007d36cd603ad6ff93efe.jpeg

• Sad 1

Met Chef Paul at Dunkin’s for a western Mass ride. Right now.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7bd171fa620bfadc69fe0e0152f2c29.jpeg

Notch Rd climbing Greylock.

image.thumb.jpeg.005538a092a74a6b5e0af57ddc9d9766.jpeg

@Chef Paul Led another great ride today! :clap:

• Like 12
On 8/30/2024 at 9:06 PM, Rinkydink said:

Rode to Springfield IL for the mile dirt track races Sat.and Sun. Crossed the Mississippi on the St Genevieve ferry. Ran across a herd of elk in Waterloo IL. Headed to the UP. 

IMG_8216.jpeg

IMG_8215.jpeg

IMG_8219.jpeg

IMG_8230.jpeg

IMG_8213.jpeg

How were the races? The Holy Grail of Flattrack racing!

• Like 1
On 9/2/2024 at 9:51 AM, TEWKS said:

Met Chef Paul at Dunkin’s for a western Mass ride. Right now.

image.thumb.jpeg.a7bd171fa620bfadc69fe0e0152f2c29.jpeg

Notch Rd climbing Greylock.

image.thumb.jpeg.005538a092a74a6b5e0af57ddc9d9766.jpeg

@Chef Paul Led another great ride today! :clap:

Very nicely done!   Thanks for sharing.

Love the phone booth!   Kids today will never know what the heck that is.  I have seen a couple on my travels but none still working. 

• Thanks 1

Got a lot going on this week. Today was a day I could get out for the morning. Wanted to at least get out of town.

48degF  this morning. 
Suited up,  didn’t really feel any of the cool air, other than a little of cool air drifting thru helmet. (So adjusted windscreen up a bit.) . Did serve as good reminder of what is coming in a few weeks.

Headed north.

IMG_4095.thumb.jpeg.fe5e5b1a4ef2cf731e555495896a649a.jpeg
Muskegon. That is the light on breakwater there in distance. Artwork in “roundabout”.

IMG_4091.thumb.jpeg.68bef2b2efa8385f4ccdb0c1833be7e6.jpeg

Found a view (with something of reflection) of the lighthouse on the pier. I think the white stripes on pavement are to reserve the area for posing for photos.

IMG_4093.thumb.jpeg.5e19ddde46529cd64e97d4602dc096aa.jpeg

This portion of huge old industrial building (Shaw-Walker) has been built into offices and condos(?) and this coffee shop. Coffee shop had Chrizio Breakfast Burrito …. Have yet to determine if that was a good idea.

IMG_4097.thumb.jpeg.2c59fdfcaee8093187923e4f8856c0a1.jpeg
this is the other 3/4th of the building, presently being rebuilt.

Welp, over half my morning has past. Will see how much further I get.

>>
mid 70s by time got home.

• Like 6
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Redman said:

...   Coffee shop had Chrizio Breakfast Burrito .....

Chorizo improves dramatically as you approach the Mexico border...

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1