IGNORED

Anybody go for ride today? Got Pictures?

Redman

3 hours ago, Redman said:

Got a lot going on this week. Today was a day I could get out for the morning. Wanted to at least get out of town.

48degF  this morning. 
Suited up,  didn’t really feel any of the cool air, other than a little of cool air drifting thru helmet. (So adjusted windscreen up a bit.) . Did serve as good reminder of what is coming in a few weeks.

Headed north.

IMG_4095.thumb.jpeg.fe5e5b1a4ef2cf731e555495896a649a.jpeg
Muskegon. That is the light on breakwater there in distance. Artwork in “roundabout”.

IMG_4091.thumb.jpeg.68bef2b2efa8385f4ccdb0c1833be7e6.jpeg

Found a view (with something of reflection) of the lighthouse on the pier. I think the white stripes on pavement are to reserve the area for posing for photos.

IMG_4093.thumb.jpeg.5e19ddde46529cd64e97d4602dc096aa.jpeg

This portion of huge old industrial building (Shaw-Walker) has been built into offices and condos(?) and this coffee shop. Coffee shop had Chrizio Breakfast Burrito …. Have yet to determine if that was a good idea.

Welp, over half my morning has past. Will see how much further I get.

IMG_4097.thumb.jpeg.2c59fdfcaee8093187923e4f8856c0a1.jpeg
this is the other 3/4th of the building, presently being rebuilt.

Love when they repurpose old buildings!   Thanks for sharing! 

• Plus 1 1
20 hours ago, RTinNC said:

Love when they repurpose old buildings!   Thanks for sharing! 

Condos “starting at 375K”.

I find it intersting for a couple reason.

1: the interesting features in the old brick.

2: the town I am from (Benton Harbor) has had about none of this rebuilding.

But that is a lot of other discussion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Redman said:

Condos “starting at 375K”.

I find it intersting for a couple reason.

1: the interesting features in the old brick.

2: the town I am from (Benton Harbor) has had about none of this rebuilding.

But that is a lot of other discussion.

375k is quite a bargain based on Charlotte prices.  

Rinkydink

Toured the HD Museum. Crossed the Mackinac Bridge in 25-30 mph cross winds. Of course the right lane was closed for repairs forcing us to ride the grate. Looking at the water 200 feet below is not for the faint of heart!!

IMG_8252.jpeg

IMG_8263.jpeg

C

IMG_8261.jpeg

• Like 12
Rinkydink

Get your Bud Light and all your firearms and ammo in Roger’s City MI. How convenient. 

IMG_8264.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Smile 1
3 minutes ago, Rinkydink said:

Toured the HD Museum. Crossed the Mackinac Bridge in 25-30 mph cross winds. Of course the right lane was closed for repairs forcing us to ride the grate. Looking at the water 200 feet below is not for the faint of heart!!

IMG_8252.jpeg

IMG_8263.jpeg

C

IMG_8261.jpeg

That museum is awesome!  Worth the trip for anyone who loves motorcycles.

My Mackinaw Bridge crossing was the same as yours.  Once was enough for me.  Didn’t mind seeing the water through the grates but the 30/40 mph cross winds had me puckered !

• Like 4

Predicted high temp today is 68degF. Makes me think AINT summer time no mo’ . . . . 

but good enough for ridding!

Headed south this morning.

South Haven again

IMG_4138.thumb.jpeg.48e5c610aecdbabe7474f8738dad133d.jpeg

for this scene, looking westward (northwest actually) I wanted a pic with this morning light.

found my way around to the other side of the channel/river/piers.

IMG_4146.thumb.jpeg.debbd9691dea04ff7d244ea0898245f9.jpeg

also rode around and found a couple coffee shops and a couple bakery/dougnut shops, so had to choose. The photos and coffee/dougnut was my major objectives.

But, then Decided to go to the Maritime Museum.  Was interesting,  (I’ll spare you those details.)

And then was well into lunch time.

I saw plenty of resteraunts/cafes with lots of people there in the touristy downtown. But then I remembered something I saw on my way into town, and found my way back there.

IMG_4142.thumb.jpeg.fef667d677f9391da2ed711eb2ff47b8.jpeg

Yah, BBQ wagon in strip mall parking lot. Yum, was good.

Got sprinkled on for about 10 minutes on way home.

Again, not a lot of miles, about 150 miles, and not a big adventure, but good to be out-n-about for about 6 hours.

And, yes, I am keeping better track of fuel gauge and trip meter.

• Like 8

Took a ride with some of the ATL riders to Oinkers BBQ in Clayton, GA.  Beautiful weather on some great roads with great riding company.   That said, the bike is now ready for FART; new Road Smart IV tires are good to go.

20240907_105930.thumb.jpg.cc9959adafa4d40039ac4638ca8e3aeb.jpg

20240907_110127.thumb.jpg.fa028c338f293ea4609a24867d604163.jpg

20240907_112045.thumb.jpg.a3b6f3eaa5139adfa9e086f430e0eadd.jpg

• Like 12

After breakfast at Big Daddy's in Fayetteville Alabama, today's ride around Alabama made a stop in Goodwater, Alabama  in central Alabama (zoom in on the mural).  

Then onward via backroads to the top of Mt. Cheaha and we wound up with about 275 miles by the time I got back home at The Treehouse....  Sweaty & looking forward to heading southeast tomorrow.

(from www.encyclopediaofalabama.org)

"Goodwater was first known as Adkins Gap after an early settler but became known as Goodwater because of its location near the spring that is the source of Hatchett Creek. Goodwater remained relatively small until 1874, when the Central of Georgia Railroad ran a line through the town on its way to Birmingham, Jefferson County, from Columbus, Georgia. Goodwater was incorporated in 1875."

IMG_8065.JPG

• Like 10
roadscholar
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

After breakfast at Big Daddy's in Fayetteville Alabama, today's ride around Alabama made a stop in Goodwater, Alabama  in central Alabama (zoom in on the mural).  

Then onward via backroads to the top of Mt. Cheaha and we wound up with about 275 miles by the time I got back home at The Treehouse...

Nice John, hey if you're ever inclined there's one cabin (#2) at Cheaha that's made of stone and overlooks the valley, pretty cool. Some nice roads around there in Eastern Alabama and West Georgia

8412650854_05c331a06b_c.jpg

cheaha_bluffside_cabin_inside.jpg?itok=HvgLsZYz

• Like 3
1 hour ago, roadscholar said:

Nice John, hey if you're ever inclined there's one cabin (#2) at Cheaha that's made of stone and overlooks the valley, pretty cool. Some nice roads around there in Eastern Alabama and West Georgia

8412650854_05c331a06b_c.jpg

cheaha_bluffside_cabin_inside.jpg?itok=HvgLsZYz

I could live in that and love it.  Will look it up next time I''m up there.  Thanks Bill!

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
roadscholar
5 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

Then onward via backroads to the top of Mt. Cheaha.

IMG_8065.JPG

Guessing Rt. 7 north out of Goodwater, found it on the way to Barber once years ago, cool little road that skirts the ridge north. If you haven’t and get over near Callaway Gardens, hit Ga 190, it’s like a mini BRP plus the FDR lookout is pretty cool.

• Thanks 1

Out for a solo ride for coffee and a bagel, trying to use up my tires before FART 24. Oil change scheduled for Thursday. And new tires next week one day. 

IMG_2241.thumb.jpeg.faafd902e225a35c60f4f64cb705822f.jpeg

IMG_2242.thumb.jpeg.5e6a1218a934e3aac92ed659e7441e71.jpeg

I may have to clean the bike also. 

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
12 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I may have to clean the bike also. 

Only the wheels

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
On 9/7/2024 at 12:58 PM, wbw6cos said:

Took a ride with some of the ATL riders to Oinkers BBQ in Clayton, GA.  Beautiful weather on some great roads with great riding company.   That said, the bike is now ready for FART; new Road Smart IV tires are good to go.

20240907_105930.thumb.jpg.cc9959adafa4d40039ac4638ca8e3aeb.jpg

20240907_110127.thumb.jpg.fa028c338f293ea4609a24867d604163.jpg

20240907_112045.thumb.jpg.a3b6f3eaa5139adfa9e086f430e0eadd.jpg

The "Usual Suspects" I see.........:thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
20 minutes ago, Bernie said:

use up my tires before FART 24

Reminds me... Gotta replace a tire before FART, damn chip seal on the DART roads chewed up the PC's rear one.....or maybe the breathtaking horsepower from those 35 year old 800cc's.

I think one fork seal smoked itself at DART too. Oh well, means a busy weekend on my lift before I head for Virginia.:revit:

• Like 4

IMG_3189.thumb.jpeg.3e6de160c4d88016a40077b08bfb455f.jpegHeaded to Roanoke for a quick overnight and dinner with a colleague from my working days.  Kind of a pre-FART trip 😎

IMG_3190.thumb.jpeg.37b6bf536e85e89fa1796d944c8087b8.jpeg

• Like 4

I was « Retired » by the company last week, we were planning to retire at the end of this year or early 2025, but someone else picked the date…

so now everyday is a riding Day :18:

IMG_3414.jpeg
stop for a snack…

IMG_3413.jpeg

• Like 13
39 minutes ago, DeadEye said:

I was « Retired » by the company last week, we were planning to retire at the end of this year or early 2025, but someone else picked the date…

so now is a riding Day :18:

IMG_3414.jpeg
stop for a snack…

IMG_3413.jpeg

I see photos of your bike pop up every once and awhile and I think to myself "wow".  So now I'm gonna say it out loud.  I think it is the best looking example of the best looking BMW model ever.  Just gorgeous!

Congrats on your earlier than planned retirement/riding day!

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, randy said:

I am still learning on how to create good riding video content, but try this :-)

That was awesome Randy!   I ezperienced the fun on those roads all over again.    Good work on the video.

2 hours ago, randy said:

I am still learning on how to create good riding video content, but try this :-)

Yes …. Nice work Randy.  You’re quite a pro 👍

1 hour ago, randy said:

So, mute your video Randy and hit play, scroll down and start the Bagger vid but watch your video. Crude way of dubbing in some sound. :classic_biggrin:

Pat, the hardest part about editing a great video is actually recording the ride.   I just found my helmet cam in my topcase.   I had it all charged up but somehow forgot to mount it and use it.    :ohboy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, I’ve gone to just holding the phone up and taking video. BUT, the second I zip it back in my pocket a beautiful farmhouse, river, mountain vista or somebody falling down :spittake: comes into view and I miss it! :(

• Smile 1
5 hours ago, hunter41 said:

I see photos of your bike pop up every once and awhile and I think to myself "wow".  So now I'm gonna say it out loud.  I think it is the best looking example of the best looking BMW model ever.  Just gorgeous!

Congrats on your earlier than planned retirement/riding day!

I’m quite fond of it as well !

I liked some of the earlier models as well,  70’s - 80’s not much else after that other than mine until the R9T Cafe racer 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Hank in WV said:

You sure didn't seem to have any trouble catching me falling down..,.:5146:

Well Hank, I think you were just showing off that day with what 3 or was it 4 crashes in one afternoon. :revit: Probably a good thing you got blowed up in Vietnam a couple of times, ;) taught you how to safely hit the deck! :D  

Spoiler

BTW Hank wasn’t telling war stories, I might have pried just a little. :read: :classic_biggrin:

And ya, I didn’t quite understand it at the time when Hank yelled out “incoming” right before hitting the ground! :4316: :4323:
image.thumb.jpeg.ec60f5a277f96a34b57192d41fde2d1a.jpeg

Kidding with ya my friend! :thumbsup:

• Like 4
RandyShields

Randy, thanks for the Atl crew ride video.  Good prep for Natural Bridge.  And happy to see that you edited out the double yellow line passing. :)

• Smile 1

He claimed that he has video evidence of me blowing a right-hander by encroaching the centerline.  Never happened.   :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/12/2024 at 6:57 AM, wbw6cos said:

He claimed that he has video evidence of me blowing a right-hander by encroaching the centerline.  Never happened.   :whistle:

If there is NO video evidence then it did not happen, that is my rule  :-)
However my 3-terabyte external hard drive MAY have a lot of "evidence" that could/might be used in case of "need" to encourage someone to "work" with me  :-)

• Smile 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

Another day out, 

yes another lake side photo ;) while I was off course.

IMG_3421.jpeg

The picture just doesn’t convey the the rolling hills of corn like when your driving by…

IMG_3417.jpeg

• Like 8

so not exactly bike related, but anyone who knows/rides with me, knows I trailer to almost every event.  I do not have a lot of vacation, so back roads (time constraint) are not a viable option and highways are no fun either.

so I trailer, it is what it is.

anyway William, Lowndes, Andy and a friend of mine (not on this board) came together to help me upgrade my vehicle.

Due to all "hands needed" a lot of pictures did not get taken, but this is the jist of what we did over the last two weekends.  not sure why but William did not get in any pictures.  maybe he is camera shy after the prior video  :-)

Cannot thank all these friends (will maybe not anymore) for giving up their weekends to help me.  

• Like 8
9 hours ago, randy said:

so not exactly bike related, but anyone who knows/rides with me, knows I trailer to almost every event.  I do not have a lot of vacation, so back roads (time constraint) are not a viable option and highways are no fun either.

anyway William, Lowndes, Andy and a friend of mine (not on this board) came together to help me upgrade my vehicle.

Due to all "hands needed" a lot of pictures did not get taken, but this is the jist of what we did over the last two weekends.  not sure why but William did not get in any pictures.  maybe he is camera shy after the prior video  :-)

Cannot thank all these friends (will maybe not anymore) for giving up their weekends to help me.  

Wow nice work and like that say “it takes a village” and looks like you had the village experts!  Look forward to seeing it at FART! 

Will it hold 2 bikes in case someone (of the K bike type 🙄) needs a tow?  

Nice bed,

What do you have for ramps to load / unload ?

9 hours ago, randy said:

Nice bed,

What do you have for ramps to load / unload ?

Will it hold 2 bikes in case someone (of the K bike type 🙄) needs a tow?

actually, the Bed is for camping not motorcycle use.  But in Theory IF we could find a low point or loading ramp etc, Yes it will hold three bikes.  But I doubt you could use just regular ramps (regardless of length) just too high.  But if there was a ditch, or low point or some loading ramp close by Yes it will hold three bikes.

I camp, mostly dry camp/state campgrounds/National Parks/BLM etc.  So I get to a camping area, my bike is on a motorcycle lift (not on the bed)

I then set up a 12x12 tent, with sides, over the Flat Bed, and set up my bed, small end table, and desk on the truck bed.  I have 12-volt LED lights for visibility.

my whole goal was NO trailer/RV/etc.  Just the truck and my motorcycle on my lift (https://mightyhauler.com/product/1000m-motorcycle-carrier-manual-mighty-hauler-tm/)

with no trailer/RV etc I am technically a "car" as far as reserving space. no different than a car/van/ etc.  so I can park/setup in lots of spots that would not be available if I had a trailer/rv/bike hauler etc.

As I am over 65 and have my lifetime senior national pass, I get to reserve many locations at 50% off.  So I have a list of places that cost $10.00-20.00 per night and I can stay for $5-10 per night. Many state/federal/BLM dry camps are free with a two-week maximum stay.  Most of these spots have a 2 week limit, but I can reserve spot 12 for two weeks, then spot 8 for two weeks and potentially stay in one place for as low as  0.00 to150.00 for the whole month.  Most places have a nice bath house with shower/toilet/sink access.

I have been working on this idea/theory (all it is right ow) for about 2 years.  Started following a number of truck/van/converted bus etc. people on various blog's and have utilized a lot of their suggestions for my equipment.

I will be making sides for the truck bed out of wood.  I plan on practicing with these sides until next year.  My son has a good friend that is a professional welder and can weld aluminum.  (not all welders can)  Once I have a design in wood that I like, I am headed to Fort Collins, CO to have some transmission upgrades completed, and at that time have all aluminum stake sides built.

This is a planned 2-year project (started in March 2024 when I bought the truck) to see if it works as I have envisioned.  

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

And Sunday evening I rode up to Muskegon and swung by the beach area for sunset.
459992543_1035681825010644_3059131324740
I think it is nice that they have that area stripped off and reserved just for motocycle pictures....

Did find a better parking space, and then wondered around some.

459993376_1035681785010648_9032388141927
View of south breakwater and light.

• Like 10

Taken today between Texas Creek, CO, and Westcliffe, CO. If you look closely you can see the Aspens changing colors to gold in the foothills of the Sangre De Christo mountain range.

IMG_8270-X2.jpg

About 30 +/- miles away on the downhill side of Wet Mountain Pass:

IMG_8274-X2.jpg

• Like 9
On 9/19/2024 at 9:49 PM, Redman said:

And Sunday evening I rode up to Muskegon and swung by the beach area for sunset.
459992543_1035681825010644_3059131324740
I think it is nice that they have that area stripped off and reserved just for motocycle pictures....

Did find a better parking space, and then wondered around some.

459993376_1035681785010648_9032388141927
View of south breakwater and light.

the photos:

IMG_4239_RT_SUnsetPerreMarqt.thumb.JPEG.282e852b71c869bf3ccb6ec579150805.JPEG

IMG_4246_MuskBkWaterSunset.thumb.JPEG.07de114c028ad1a41f5f89fcbee13fb0.JPEG

• Like 7

Rode the K13 to Bishop Castle 'cause I was "feeling it" today. My instincts didn't fail me on this gorgeous Colorado Fall day.

IMG_8279-X3.jpg

IMG_8281-X2.jpg

• Like 6