IGNORED

ISSUE: Photos not showing in posts but only as attachments

chrisolson

Apple introduced a new format for photos that has the extension " .heic "  in November of 2021.  Apparently this change is only for some versions or iOS or models of iPhone . I personally have an old iPhone 6s with , as of this date ,  the latest iOS for it (15.3.1)  , but it still produces only .jpg photos.

So, potentially another Apple user will have further information on which versions / models of iPhone are affected.

Unfortunately , if you iPhone shares photos in .heic format,  our software and many others do not currently recognize that ... so photos uploaded to posts which would normally be shown directly in-line, are only shown as attachments which another user must download to see.

This obviously creates some issues ... 

• Many folks don't want to download any "unknown" file to their computer as a safety precaution. 
  • Additionally, even if downloaded, Windows doesn't natively support that extension either,  although there are ways to make that happen which involve installing a couple of add-ons to Windows (not ideal)

Consequently if you upload photos from your iPhone and they end up as attachments, you might consider following the instructions in this article on how to convert to .jpg prior to upload ... its simple to do.

Or, if that's not an option for you, understand that your photos may not get as wide an audience as you would anticipate.

20 minutes ago, chrisolson said:

Apple user will have further information on which versions / models of i

I have a 7 and wife has an 8.  Still Jpg.  Apple says introduced with IOS 11.  Im on 15.3.1 also.

1 minute ago, Skywagon said:

I have a 7 and wife has an 8.  Still Jpg.  Apple says introduced with IOS 11.  Im on 15.3.1 also.

Yeah the article I linked also said iOS 11 .... but .... I wonder if the information should have read iPhone 11 not iOS 11 as it may also be tied to hardware upgrades in the camera itself.

Thanks for this info.  Had not heard about the new file format.  Normally I've posted photos from my computer to the forum and not from my phone directly.  Out of curiosity I just posted a pic directly from my iPhone 13 with newest iOS in the playroom forum to see what happened.  It seemed to upload fine in jpeg format automatically.  So I wonder what dictates which format it uses.

1 hour ago, BrianT said:

So I wonder what dictates which format it uses.

That's the big question ... check on your phone to see if you have these options and how its set

Head to Settings first, then select Camera. At the top of Camera settings, you should see an option that says Formats. Select it.

Here you will see two options, one called High Efficiency and one called Most Compatible. Make sure that Most Compatible is selected. Now your iPhone should start taking pictures as JPEGs instead.

OR  if you still want to keep taking photos in .heic

Head again to settings, and go to Photos. Then, skip down through the sections until you find the one that’s called Transfer to Mac or PC. Here, you will want to make sure that your transfer is set to Automatic. This will ensure that when you send your photos over to a computer, they will be sent as a JPEG or a similar file

EDIT : I don't have a way to test this .. so only passing along instructions as seen on-line. :cool:

SECOND EDIT: although my 6s doesn't have the "format" settings, it is set to "Automatic" for transfers

21 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Head to Settings first, then select Camera. At the top of Camera settings, you should see an option that says Formats. Select it.

Here you will see two options, one called High Efficiency and one called Most Compatible. Make sure that Most Compatible is selected. Now your iPhone should start taking pictures as JPEGs instead.

This setting was set for High Efficiency by default on my phone.

21 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Head again to settings, and go to Photos. Then, skip down through the sections until you find the one that’s called Transfer to Mac or PC. Here, you will want to make sure that your transfer is set to Automatic. This will ensure that when you send your photos over to a computer, they will be sent as a JPEG or a similar file

My phone setting was by default set to Automatic.  So maybe that's why it works for me to upload Jpeg even though I'm still set for the new format for picture taking.  Figured I'd pass on confirming the settings that worked in case it helps.

1 hour ago, BrianT said:

My phone setting was by default set to Automatic.  So maybe that's why it works for me to upload Jpeg even though I'm still set for the new format for picture taking.  Figured I'd pass on confirming the settings that worked in case it helps.

Yep, that seems to be the ticket then ... set / check that transfer is set to automatic and pics should be sent in .jpg or compatible format. !!

• 4 months later...
konacyclist

I have managed to convert my HEIC photo to JPEG in an acceptable size but it is not showing up as a photo only as an attachment. This should not be this difficult

On 6/26/2022 at 9:54 PM, konacyclist said:

I have managed to convert my HEIC photo to JPEG in an acceptable size but it is not showing up as a photo only as an attachment. This should not be this difficult

Please duplicate that  in a reply to this post here in the support forum 

konacyclist

I am replying to the above post and will attempt to attach a photo as pic not an attachment. It would appear jpeg is a better format for this purpose.

image.thumb.jpeg.612a2e94339decccba977ce4a48e223e.jpeg

57 minutes ago, konacyclist said:

I am replying to the above post and will attempt to attach a photo as pic not an attachment. It would appear jpeg is a better format for this purpose.

image.thumb.jpeg.612a2e94339decccba977ce4a48e223e.jpeg

Yes, jpg or jpeg or png work just fine .  Just drag and drop into the rectangle at the lower portion of the editor  as indicated.   

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 4.16.30 PM.png