IGNORED

02 R1150RT wire connection

Deesdesk

I took the bike out of storage today and started down the "mystery brake problem" road. Purchased some nice SS brake lines to install and I want to flush everything thoroughly before I start give up on the ABS and remove it. But, that's a hole other discussion.

To get back to the matter at hand, once I removed the gas tank, I noticed a small 4 pin connector on the right side just above the gas line disconnects that was not plugged in (see pictures below). 

The pins look a  little corroded, so I'm wondering if it was always disconnected, or if I managed to unplug it when removing the tank..

Does anyone know what this is for?

Should it be connected plugged in?

IMG-6812.thumb.jpg.46970c54aed32ba86c3bbfe60c2cb18b.jpgIMG-6813.thumb.jpg.cb8ff72e5ba3fe2b5a52a926209761e8.jpg

9 hours ago, Deesdesk said:

I took the bike out of storage today and started down the "mystery brake problem" road. Purchased some nice SS brake lines to install and I want to flush everything thoroughly before I start give up on the ABS and remove it. But, that's a hole other discussion.

To get back to the matter at hand, once I removed the gas tank, I noticed a small 4 pin connector on the right side just above the gas line disconnects that was not plugged in (see pictures below). 

The pins look a  little corroded, so I'm wondering if it was always disconnected, or if I managed to unplug it when removing the tank..

Does anyone know what this is for?

Should it be connected plugged in?

Morning  Deesdesk

Looks like your o2 sensor is unplugged, not sure why if you didn't disconnect it yourself. If the terminal pins are corroded then it has probably been disconnected for a while. That connector is sealed so it shouldn't have been corroded IF it was plugged in. 

In any case you might cleaning the terminal pins  then try re-connecting it.  Use something like  "CRC QD Electronic Cleaner" or "DeoxIT". 

You might also cut the zip ties then pull those connectors out to where you can easily  access them with the fuel tank installed. That way if it doesn't run correctly when the o2 sensor is plugged back in you can easily access that connector to install a new o2 sensor without removing the fuel tank. 

O2 connector.jpg

MichiganBob

Top of the Day. Two  questions. First,  I'm not  seeing  what this sensor plugs into, assume there is a male and female connector in the proxmity. Second,  Is it likely there would be a performance issue If this sensor was not connected? Sounds like it's been disconnected for quite some time. I know there are some who have disconnected What they consider unnecessary components Mainly having to do with emission standards.  I looked up the purpose of the 02 sensor And it seems to be necessary for the bike to run right. Correct?

10 minutes ago, MichiganBob said:

Top of the Day. Two  questions. First,  I'm not  seeing  what this sensor plugs into, assume there is a male and female connector in the proxmity. Second,  Is it likely there would be a performance issue If this sensor was not connected? Sounds like it's been disconnected for quite some time. I know there are some who have disconnected What they consider unnecessary components Mainly having to do with emission standards.  I looked up the purpose of the 02 sensor And it seems to be necessary for the bike to run right. Correct?

Morning Bob

We don't want to derail (hijack) Deesdesk's thread here so I will try to keep this within the original intent.

The  purple arrow in the picture above points to what it plugs into. (says plugs into this)

The o2 sensor being plugged in & correctly operational is desired on the 1150 Ma 2.4 fueling systems as the Ma 2.4  Motronic is set up to use the o2 sensor's input. 

The 1100 Ma 2.2 fueling system will usually run just fine with the o2 sensor  disconnected (with CCP also removed) as the Ma 2.2 has decent open loop maps inside it.

The o2 (lambda) sensor is used to precisely control the fueling under most warm engine conditions at idle, and at light to moderate throttle openings.  

1150 Ma 2.4 should have o2 remain  functional_

1100 Ma 2.2 usually runs just fine with o2 sensor (and CCP)  disconnected_

Thanks DR, 

I have a diagnostic reader and there has been no fault codes on the ECU side when I've run the reader. 

I must have somehow managed to disconnect it when removing the tank. (another instance of me being my own worse enemy).

I'll shine up the pins and use some dielectric grease. Like you mentioned, it is weird that there is corrosion inside the connector. But it is what it is.

I'll make sure everything is correct and properly closed.

Good advice on the cable ties.

Thanks again.

And just for clarity, I would add that the bike ran fine on it's final run just before it went into storage last fall. And it started and ran fine just moments before I started to strip it down to do some brake work.

I can only conclude that my big sausage fingers and caveman-like finesse must have somehow dislodged the plug connection.

On a more positive note, It has allowed me to identify and correct the corrosion within the connection and ensure that the plug is securely seated into the socket on the reinstall.

Thanks All!

9 hours ago, Deesdesk said:

And just for clarity, I would add that the bike ran fine on it's final run just before it went into storage last fall. And it started and ran fine just moments before I started to strip it down to do some brake work.

I can only conclude that my big sausage fingers and caveman-like finesse must have somehow dislodged the plug connection.

On a more positive note, It has allowed me to identify and correct the corrosion within the connection and ensure that the plug is securely seated into the socket on the reinstall.

Thanks All!

Morning  Deesdesk

It is difficult to tell from an internet  picture but it sort of looks like that connector has road dirt BELOW the yellow sealing ring. If that connector was plugged in then it should be squeaky clean below that yellow sealing ring & the female side should be clean inside.

The GS-911 is pretty limited on the 1150 Ma 2.4 so it might not show a disconnected o2 sensor as a stored fault code. (would show it disconnected/not working in real time though)