IGNORED

Keeping it funny…

1 hour ago, Rougarou said:

image.png.b773b64757d39cf7a62da024c53b27ee.png

I think you attach these little “jet engines” to it to make your car go faster. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

IMG_5832.webp.7219b594d8fad680b6ec1cd2716ca77d.webp

• Like 1
  • Smile 2
  • Haha 1
Rougarou
9 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Make sweet noise!

And if done incorrectly, you'll have forever noise in your ears.

• Thinking 1
51 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

And if done incorrectly, you'll have forever noise in your ears.

Funny but not really funny… You watch combat footage of the Ukrainians and Russians and the gun fire sounds like a child’s pop gun. IDK if it’s the vast openness that muffles the sound or the video just doesn’t pick it up. :dontknow: 

See, I sure know how to spoil a good time. :4607: :4323:

Joe Frickin' Friday
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

Funny but not really funny… You watch combat footage of the Ukrainians and Russians and the gun fire sounds like a child’s pop gun. IDK if it’s the vast openness that muffles the sound or the video just doesn’t pick it up. :dontknow: 

Muzzle blast sound is something close to a delta function, which means it includes an extremely wide range of audio frequencies, which in turn means you need really good mics and really good speakers to accurately reproduce such extreme sounds; the mic on a cell phone, or even a professional news crew camera, just isn't going to cut it.  Years ago I bought a sound effects CD that's got some pretty good recordings of handgun fire and what sounds like big artillery fire.  They used pretty good gear: the handgun fire has the expected sharpness, but also the percussive kind of feel that you just don't get without using real propellants.  I'll see about posting some of them later today.  Play them back on your best sound system at high volume, and see what you think.

• Thanks 1
Rougarou
1 hour ago, TEWKS said:

See, I sure know how to spoil a good time. :4607: :4323:

M-4/M-16 are not terribly loud when you are a few feet away,....at least it doesn't sound all that loud.  But physically shooting, ya, rings the ears with no plugs and your opposite shooting ear is the one that will get the most damage (right handed shooter, left ear more damage).  Pistols feel louder than rifles.  

I had a guy put the barrel of a 240G right over my head and blast some of the belt off,......ringing for days.  Machine guns, even the little toy SAWs, have volume due, in my opinion, to the repetitive shots.  A single shot from a 7.62 or 5.56 auto, not bad a few feet away, but unleash the belts, and it's noise.  .50,....Ma deuce is loud, one round, two round, doesn't matter.

'Twas told once, that the SMAW is the loudest weapon organic to an infantry battalion,.......and it is freakin' loud-loud.  Tanks are loud-loud, artillery is loud-loud.  Mortars, the launching of, not too bad.  If you're close enough to hear the "loud" boom report,......you're too close and may be listening from the 6th sense:classic_biggrin:

Movies give off a false impression of the noises weapons make.  Interior shooting sounds different than open air shooting.  Grenades aren't Napalm generators, etc.. 

One Christmas, with the family all gathered, they were upstairs, so I go in my basement garage, open the door toward the woods, and from the deepest interior wall, I pop off a 30 mag of 5.56.  Scared the heck outta them, but I know I seared in their memory of what an AR sounds like when fired in a building so if they hear it again, they'll at least have an "idea" of what's going on and not a "what was that?" thought.

• Thanks 1
Rougarou

Also, if you read the book "On Combat" by LtCol Dave Grossman, he talks about how, during high stress environments, your ears will "protect themselves" from the loudness,....I think it's called auditory exclusion.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

The Federal Q will hurt after a few with the windows open but, probably not quite the same. :spittake: Some shifts love it some don’t. I know exactly what days (from my couch) unit 2 is working! :classic_biggrin:

Joe Frickin' Friday
39 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Also, if you read the book "On Combat" by LtCol Dave Grossman, he talks about how, during high stress environments, your ears will "protect themselves" from the loudness,....I think it's called auditory exclusion.

It's a real thing:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_reflex

...is an involuntary muscle contraction that occurs in the middle ear in response to loud sound stimuli or when the person starts to vocalize.

When presented with an intense sound stimulus, the stapedius and tensor tympani muscles of the ossicles contract.  The stapedius stiffens the ossicular chain by pulling the stapes (stirrup) of the middle ear away from the oval window of the cochlea and the tensor tympani muscle stiffens the ossicular chain by loading the tympanic membrane when it pulls the malleus (hammer) in toward the middle ear.  The reflex decreases the transmission of vibrational energy to the cochlea, where it is converted into electrical impulses to be processed by the brain.

But it can only do so much:

According to the article Significance of the stapedius reflex for the understanding of speech, the latency of contraction is only about 10ms, but maximum tension may not be reached for 100 ms or more.  According to the article Le traumatisme acoustique, the latency of contraction is 150 ms with noise stimulus which SPL is at the threshold (ATR), and 25–35 ms at high sound pressure levels. Indeed, the amplitude of the contraction grows with the sound pressure level stimulus.

Because of this latency, the acoustic reflex cannot protect against sudden intense noises. However, when several sudden intense noises are presented at a pace higher than 2–3 seconds of interval, the acoustic reflex is able to play a role against auditory fatigue.

Moreover, the full tension of the stapedius muscle cannot be maintained in response to continued stimulation. Indeed, the tension drops to about 50% of its maximum value after a few seconds.

Recent measurements of the acoustic reflex with a group of 50 subjects found that only 2 of the subjects exhibited any pre-activation of the reflex in the warned (countdown) or volitional control of the eliciting stimulus.

Short version: the acoustic reflex isn't fast enough to protect your ears from the sound of the first shot, it's not durable enough to protect for more than a few seconds, and it only provides a limited amount of protection during those few seconds.  Also, it appears not very many people can voluntarily activate this mechanism prior to the first loud noise.

• Like 2
John Ranalletta

During START in Newport, we stopped at the Waffle House in Canton, TN.  I asked for pancakes and was reminded by Reba, our server, that we were in a "Waffle" House as she rolled her eyes.  Sweet, funny girl.

A man in the next booth wearing suspenders whose belt line was just south of his nipples asked where we were from and if we had Waffle Houses in Indianapolis.  I said yes and I'd seen Waffle Houses as far north as Chicago.

He continued by telling us he's president of the local chess club, a member of the local Baptist Church and was proud to say he'd been happily divorced for over 30 years.  Very gentile, soft spoken guy.  As he was leaving, he stopped at our table to tell us he'd been married twice but the problem as he saw it was, "They thought they could still date other men while being married!"  He added that he'd met both women in church.

I said, "Third time's a charm".  He said, "No.  I've not given up on women or the church but I've given up on marriage."

I often regret not taking photos of the characters we meet while riding and compiling a memory book with the pictures and a story.  Maybe it's not too late to start.  Maybe we could us a forum topic like, "Characters we meet on the road."  Could be we spend too much time taking pictures of our dinner plates.

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 2
Joe Frickin' Friday
7 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

Years ago I bought a sound effects CD that's got some pretty good recordings of handgun fire and what sounds like big artillery fire.  They used pretty good gear: the handgun fire has the expected sharpness, but also the percussive kind of feel that you just don't get without using real propellants.  I'll see about posting some of them later today.  Play them back on your best sound system at high volume, and see what you think.

So here you go, a 38 being fired.  Just a few shots, so I repeated it:

Tank firing a gun downrange, followed by the round hitting home.  Don't know if that's what this really is, but it sounds plausible.  Careful with this one, it might pop your speakers if you turn it up too high:

And...just for fun:

Rougarou

The tank sounds real, the impact sounds like a training round. 

Rougarou

I dunno if it’s actually louder than a 747, but a C5 low pass sounds like its about to fall outta the sky,….also, very distinct sound

• Like 1

It really doesn’t look like it should be able to leave the ground. :dontknow: 

• Plus 1 1
  • Smile 1
Joe Frickin' Friday

This is all well and good, but we're not keeping it funny.  Planes + Funny?  Here ya go, an oldie but a goodie:

• Smile 3
SDCRJohn

At one point during a game, the coach called one of his 9-year-old baseball players aside.
And asked, "Do you understand what cooperation is? What a team is?
"Yes, coach", replied the little boy. "
Do you understand that what matters is whether we win or lose together as a team?"
The little boy nodded in the affirmative.
"So," the coach continued, "I'm sure you know, when an out is called, you shouldn't argue,
curse the umpire, or call him an ass***. Do you understand all that?"
Again, the little boy nodded in the affirmative.
The coach continued, "And when I take you out of the game so that another boy gets a chance to play,
it's not a dumb-a** decision or that the coach is a shit**** is it?"
"No, coach."
"Good", said the coach. "Now go over there and explain all that to your grandmother.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
John Ranalletta
On 6/26/2024 at 10:17 AM, EdM said:

It's not a race... but I'm winning.

• Haha 1
Rougarou
1 hour ago, John Ranalletta said:

Rule in my household, with a wife and two daughters, we stop to refuel, nothing in between.  During that stop, you bathroom break, eat and refuel vehicle, then its back on the road.  With the superduty, that was 475-500ish miles before a stop.  That's a two stop trip from Jacksonville, NC to Sulphur, La.  They all learned bladder control:grin:

• Smile 1
Rougarou
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

image.png.148843fba543612eaae89841b38281b2.png

image.png.17cee9bafd89f645a1630f17398204d3.png 

The Marine Corps Pistol team members shoot very similar to this guy,,......including hand in pocket.

There was also controversy on the twittersphere about the the way/position this guy shoots

image.png.63ef608c4ecd79fec0d7efcc04cdf014.png

I've shot like this for qualifications, expert since boot camp.  My non-firing hand would be twisted backwards, tightened even closer to my body.  It's all for precision static targets. 

Samples

image.thumb.jpeg.3c66128855d192fbaf7786cd2702edc7.jpegimage.jpeg.2cf23130fad4becce686d8e49a1d7ca8.jpeg

Can't find in a quick search hand in pocket shooters, but you can see how it would be done and how many shooters would drop the non-firing hand in the pocket.

image.thumb.jpeg.99a4a431e06fa0f472fb8592d1114c92.jpegimage.jpeg.058c08e90c042aa451588f2321c4dc6b.jpeg

Again, this is for precision static target shooting.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

(prior post taken down due to copyright issues)

Speaking of sausage, sometimes bigger isn't better.

• Haha 3

Hey, it’s not the worst reason in the world to lose a competition over. :dontknow: :spittake:

John Ranalletta
23 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Hey, it’s not the worst reason in the world to lose a competition over. :dontknow: :spittake:

Shoulda' worn one of Target's "Tuck Friendly" swimsuits.

• Haha 3
Witty_Low
On 7/30/2024 at 8:40 PM, TEWKS said:

It's the extractor part of the bolt.

I think you attach these little “jet engines” to it to make your car go faster. :dontknow: :classic_biggrin:

IMG_5832.webp.7219b594d8fad680b6ec1cd2716ca77d.webp

Rougarou
27 minutes ago, Witty_Low said:

It's the extractor part of the bolt.

That whole thing is the bolt.  The extractor is the tiny thinghy with the pin and spring

image.jpeg.a9bb72405670402e41c927f5ce4274b3.jpeg

:grin:

• Like 1
duckhawk64

I was guessing it was a bolt by the polishing pattern, but for what make, model and caiber? 

Rougarou
4 minutes ago, duckhawk64 said:

I was guessing it was a bolt by the polishing pattern, but for what make, model and caiber? 

5.56/.223

I'm no expert, but that bolt should be kinda universal to AR variants, color/shine doesn't matter concerning fit.......but I'm not a builder, just a shooter.

image.thumb.jpeg.a8540456d22db91d721dc3561791fd82.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.2dbe3dfcd21f6573ae561135676559ee.jpeg

duckhawk64

I have plenty of deer rifles, but I can't bring myself to buy an AR. I like shooting 300 yards with a 7 mag. 

Rougarou
15 minutes ago, duckhawk64 said:

I have plenty of deer rifles, but I can't bring myself to buy an AR. I like shooting 300 yards with a 7 mag. 

To qualify, 500 yards/meters is the distance every Marine shoots.  I've never shot with optics for qualification, iron sights only.  Hitting at 500 yards, static, is easy.

• Like 1
Rougarou
19 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

That’s a bad day on the job right there. :classic_ohmy:

And it appears the forklif barely touched the racks......I see the one bend, but damn, I'da thunk warehouse racks would be a bit stronger than this shows.

Twin towers anyone.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Rougarou
37 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Racks made of balsa wood.

Shoulda used bamboo

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1