IGNORED

Basic maintenance specs (capacities, torques)?

Joe Frickin' Friday

BruinsFan

Oil changed, final drive fluid changed, new rear brake inspection, clean, lube and fluid flush today. For my oil filter, I used the PUROLATOR BOSS 20,000. It's a bit larger than OEM oil filter... curious if Boxflyer or anyone that has experience with this filter recommends adding more oil due to the larger capacity of the BOSS filter being bigger? 

I started the bike after the oil change, let it run a minute, shut her down, and the oil level only came up a wee bit less than half in the oil window bubble thingy. Ha! Marvelous Monday coming your way gentleman! Keep smiling. 

wbw6cos

Cookie, go ride it and get it up to operating temperature and check the oil after you park it.  The extra volume in that filter may not be that noticeable.   Just sayin'

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 2:05 PM, BruinsFan said:

curious if Boxflyer or anyone that has experience with this filter recommends adding more oil due to the larger capacity of the BOSS filter being bigger?

Add the necessary oil to bring the level up to where it should be. Or better said, to where you like it, as long as it's within the inner circle on the glass window. I always top it off to the max (top of inner circle), but others don't mind having it lower, so they don't have to buy a 5th quart. Like mentioned, there should be a minimal difference, but always go by the window, since also the amount of time you drain the old oil can change the total amount required. I always pour 4 quarts initially, then top off to the max after starting the bike. I let oil drain until nothing comes out, so it takes more or less the 4.3-qts mentioned in the manual. Hope this helps.