IGNORED

FLY Racing Odyssey Summit Helmet Review

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

FLY Odyssey Helmet Review Intro

Choosing a new helmet often comes down to settling for function over form (reduced weight, better ventilation, etc.), which otherwise comes with an aesthetic price or “tax.”

The newest Odyssey Summit helmet from Fly Racing might just be the exception. Its modular design is packed with features you’d expect in a proper ADV helmet, from a lightweight polycarbonate blend shell to a dual-density EPS liner to an anti-fog coated face shield—even a comfortable Quick-Dry liner that keeps your noggin cool without collecting odors. An integrated, tinted shield provides coverage from the sun’s rays. And Fly’s True Function Ventilation and Negative Pressure Wave exhaust systems keep your head cool while also making the Odyssey Summit remarkably quiet at high speeds.

But while the helmet ticks most of the “function” boxes, perhaps the most impressive thing about it is the looks. The color scheme and graphics on our review helmet were just stunning. In fact, I was getting compliments from random riders—an atypical scenario for most grubby, dusty ADVers coming off the trail. The Odyssey Summit also allows for a more street-oriented look with the peak removed and color-matched visor block-off plates installed.

Another cool feature of the Odyssey Summit is the strategic placement of gutters and depressions baked into the EPS liner. These gaps are designed specifically to easily tuck away the wiring of comms units, including earphone pockets and wiring paths with retention nubs to take the guesswork out of installing aftermarket intercoms. And Fly was particularly smart about the placement of the drop-down shield’s deployment button so it doesn’t interfere with attaching an accessory communication unit.

If there’s an issue, it may be fitment. For riders with a more “intermediate oval” head shape, it’s best to try one on in your usual size before buying. For example, I found the XL to be a tad on the tight side in comparison to other helmets. Also, the attachment points for the peak seem on the weak side. I was worried I’d over-tighten the screws to install the peak and crack the plastic. I slacked off a bit, which led to a noticeable wobble in the wind. And lastly, as with any modular helmet, there’s a weight penalty for that chin bar mechanism. But honestly, that’s not a huge issue; I certainly wasn’t sporting a neck cramp at the end of a long day’s ride.

The Fly Racing Odyssey Summit is a great combination of form and function—an eye-catching helmet that’s comfortable, quiet, steady in the wind, and with the convenience of a modular, all at a price that can fit just about any adventure rider’s budget.

FLY Odyssey Helmet Review 1

FlyRacing.com

MSRP: $290

Where to Buy:

Moto Sport btn     Amazon btn

PROS:

• Beautiful graphics and build quality
  • Excellent ventilation and noise management
  • Approachably priced

CONS:

• Fit can be tricky for fitment
  • Peak needs a firmer fixture