IGNORED

More ABS woes

BMWED

BMWED

About 2 years ago I had the dreaded abs motor brush sticking issue on my 07.
Took it apart freed them, cleaned, etc.
Everything was ok until now, sticking again as verified by GS 911 and a light tap with a screwdriver.
Now I'm thinking to replace the motor with one from a 2013 Ford focus.
Apparently this works, although the cam profile is slightly different.
Anyone have experience with this mod?

dirtrider
50 minutes ago, BMWED said:

About 2 years ago I had the dreaded abs motor brush sticking issue on my 07.
Took it apart freed them, cleaned, etc.
Everything was ok until now, sticking again as verified by GS 911 and a light tap with a screwdriver.
Now I'm thinking to replace the motor with one from a 2013 Ford focus.
Apparently this works, although the cam profile is slightly different.
Anyone have experience with this mod?

Evening  BMWED

I know of one rider in my area that did the Ford focus motor, he isn't a personal friend so all I have is from a brief talk with him.

He did say that the motor shaft was sightly different & that he needed a bearing that was difficult to find. (I don't know if the bearing was needed for the install or if he somehow ruined the old one).

I can't even give you a long term follow up as he sold the motorcycle a few months after I talked with him. 

I have done a few brush/brush holder deburring smoothing out the brush movement & so far none have quit again (at least that I know of). 

There is a guy I have been working with over the internet that is going to try installing the Ford focus brush holder in his BMW ABS motor. His ABS started working again before he started so he hasn't started the project yet.   

BMWED

Thanks for the reply dirtrider

I may just go ahead and get the focus motor and see how it compares.

I just hate having to do a job twice, but don't want to live without the abs.

aggieengineer

I had mine rebuilt several years ago. If you can wait until tomorrow, I'll look to see who did the work. It has been reliable since reinstalled. Mine is a 2008.

aggieengineer

And the answer is Modulemaster.com.

Work was done in 2013 and I have been very satisfied. Price was $250 + shipping of $35.

wbw6cos

My ABS-II module was rebuilt by Module Masters for stuck piston fault.  The best part about that rebuild was the 5 year warranty.   BMW only warrants their parts for 2 years.  So, I got that going for me, which is nice.

Good luck!   I hope they can fit it in to their busy schedule.