IGNORED

Route advice for Nevada and Northern California to Redmond OR.

Dave_in_TX

I'm planning to go the the MOA rally in Redmond via Nevada and Northern California. I have never ridden or actually visited those area so I'm looking for some advice. I'm familiar enough with New Mexico, Arizona and Utah to plan my own route to southwestern Utah. I will be heading for Nevada from either the St. George or Cedar city City area and going up to US 50. I will moat likely continue on 50 to Fallon but another option I am considering is taking US 6 from Ely down to Tonopah and from there entering CA. I have the Butler map for northern CA but have yet to pick a route through CA to Redmond (too many options). Any and all advice appreciated.

Based on information I have gathered, US 50 is probably the most scenic route, although US 6 is also supposedly scenic.

bendbill

For me, Hwy 50 was a once-in-a-lifetime ride from Oregon to Torrey years back.  If you go to Fallon, then you can take 395 N and cut NW on Hwy 31 out of Lakeview, which brings you to Hwy 97 at La Pine--about 45 miles to Redmond.

My preferred route for motorcycling from UT Hwy 50, then N out of Austin on 305 to Winnemucca, NV and then left on 140 to Lakeview.  Lots of open spaces--and watch for wild burros near roadway.

Dave_in_TX
12 hours ago, bendbill said:

For me, Hwy 50 was a once-in-a-lifetime ride from Oregon to Torrey years back.  If you go to Fallon, then you can take 395 N and cut NW on Hwy 31 out of Lakeview, which brings you to Hwy 97 at La Pine--about 45 miles to Redmond.

My preferred route for motorcycling from UT Hwy 50, then N out of Austin on 305 to Winnemucca, NV and then left on 140 to Lakeview.  Lots of open spaces--and watch for wild burros near roadway.

Thanks for the suggestions. However, I will probably forego 395 and 31 since one of the reasons I will be going through Nevada is because I have never been to northern California.

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX

Still looking for northern California suggestions.

Thinking of dropping a bit south and going through Sequoia NP. I have been told by a former CA resident to skip Yosemite / Tioga Pass because of the traffic congestion.

• Like 1
Darbarian

I left California after 50 years as population density did not suit me well. The northern quarter may have grown dramatically in the last 25 years, but is still your best bet for pleasant motorcycling... particularly the mountain areas. 

LBump

Cedar City  56 West 319 to 93 to 375 to Tonopah

Tonopah 95 West to Coaldale, 6 West to Benton to 120

120 West (roller coaster road:) to Lee Vining.

395 North to 89 to Lake Tahoe continue 89 to Lake Almanor West

36 West to Red Bluff continue 36 West (one of the Great Moto Roads) to 101

101 North to Florence, OR (if you want to stay on the coast) if not,

101 North to Crescent City, 199 to Grants Pass to 234 to 62 North

62 North to Union Creek to 230 to 138 to 97 North to Redmond

It's a circuitous route but you get a variety of deserts, mountains, coastal, and some great twisty moto roads. Along with the ride are wonderful visuals. Be safe  :bike:

Dave_in_TX
1 hour ago, LBump said:

Thank you, would you recommend that over riding US 50?

LBump
9 minutes ago, Dave_in_TX said:

Thank you, would you recommend that over riding US 50?

It depends if you want to go North through the high desert or over to the coast. The coast will be cooler.

If you want a more desolate desert ride, take the 50.  

Personally, I like the other way, it's more varied. 

• Like 1
hunter41

I agree with staying away from Tioga/Yosemite unless you really have a hankering to see Yosemite.  The next pass up is Sonora Pass (108) and it is outstanding, with the next 3 passes to the north incrementally getting less outstanding (from south to north).  Hwy 49 from Sonora to Nevada City (and beyond to 89) is gold rush country and certainly provides some Northern California flavor. It's a bit slower however as you slow down in most towns.  A hard pick between that and @LBump 's route through Tahoe.  Hwy 49 can get warm.

I am not a big fan of Nevada roads so wont comment on selections there, but I'll definitely second the recommendation of 36 out of Red Bluff in California. It's 130 miles of continuous fun.

Enjoy the ride!

idbxs32

Checkout pashnit.com. It list all the roads mentioned and many more. 

Dave_in_TX
On 5/8/2024 at 2:32 PM, LBump said:

Tonopah 95 West to Coaldale, 6 West to Benton to 120

120 West (roller coaster road:) to Lee Vining.

395 North to 89 to Lake Tahoe continue 89 to Lake Almanor West

36 West to Red Bluff continue 36 West (one of the Great Moto Roads) to 101

101 North to Florence, OR (if you want to stay on the coast) if not,

101 North to Crescent City, 199 to Grants Pass to 234 to 62 North

62 North to Union Creek to 230 to 138 to 97 North to Redmond

It's a circuitous route but you get a variety of deserts, mountains, coastal, and some great twisty moto roads. Along with the ride are wonderful visuals. Be safe  :bike:

Thanks, looks like a good route.

I spent all last year in NoCal with a regular exploring program and can confirm much of LBumps suggestions.  I can help with additional road suggestions and will send route/road links.  But I have a few questions:

1. How much time (days/ seat time) from Benton to Redmond? are you planning?

2. Open to anything other than pavement?  What are you riding?

3. What is your heat tolerance?  I'm a CA wimp, so I start to cry with sustained 90+

4. If you had to choose:  Twisty roads? or Great scenery. 

Dave_in_TX
13 hours ago, GSJOE said:

I spent all last year in NoCal with a regular exploring program and can confirm much of LBumps suggestions.  I can help with additional road suggestions and will send route/road links.  But I have a few questions:

1. How much time (days/ seat time) from Benton to Redmond? are you planning?

2. Open to anything other than pavement?  What are you riding?

3. What is your heat tolerance?  I'm a CA wimp, so I start to cry with sustained 90+

4. If you had to choose:  Twisty roads? or Great scenery. 

1. Two, maybe three days.

2. Pavement only even with my R1250GS.

3. Reasonable heat tolerance. Summers at home in central Texas frequently are in the 90s or warmer.

4. Difficult choice; probably a mix of the two.