IGNORED

LED Light bulbs

Sam Boychuk

Sam Boychuk

2005 R1200ST, will led bulbs run cooler in my headlight housing to protect my lens? I have been reading that they are hotter at the back but cooler at the front towards the lens. I found a company with all in one bulbs for my bike with each bulb having a cooling fan and built in resistors for my bike.

dirtrider
16 minutes ago, Sam Boychuk said:

2005 R1200ST, will led bulbs run cooler in my headlight housing to protect my lens? I have been reading that they are hotter at the back but cooler at the front towards the lens. I found a company with all in one bulbs for my bike with each bulb having a cooling fan and built in resistors for my bike.

Morning Sam

That is difficult to answer, the inside of the headlight housing is fairly small so if the fan dumps the LED & resistor heat outside of the headlight housing then it most likely will run cooler inside the housing. 

Typically true LED's run cooler than conventional bulbs but how it is designed & assembled can skew that assumption.  

If all the heat stays inside the headlight housing then who knows, it could be just as hot or even hotter inside the headlight housing than a conventional bulb. 

You might call the company that you are referring to & ask them how/where the heat is dumped.

Dave_in_TX

I wouldn't worry about protecting the lens from the heat of the halogen bulb. The lens on my 2007 RT was still fine when I traded it in at 140k miles. Same for my 2011 RT when sold at 110k. Most common reasons for switching to LEDs are onger life and brighter lights.