IGNORED

Feedback on the 2019 R1250GS

F16Viper68

wbw6cos

Snazz zeee, Dave.   Nice look!   I cannot wait to see it in person.

• Like 1
F16Viper68

I've been struggling a bit with the amount of heat my 2019 R1250GS has been throwing off while riding vs. my 2015 R1200GS.  I have utterly no clue why but it seems to be worse on my left side which is contrary to most of my research.  Most other riders state the 1250 is cooler than the 1200 but if they do complain, it's their right foot/leg is hot which seems to be coming from the catalytic converter. 

Well in an attempt to reduce the amount of heat, I decided to replace the factory exhaust header with a Akrapovic header with the exhaust flapper. It's a piece of work but it has seem to help the situation.  

I had no idea the next header would come in pieces. 

i-zhr6zVq-M.jpg

I always wanted to use these ridiculously long needle nose pliers.  :) Disconnecting the rear O2 sensor. 

i-wtcNFpL-M.jpg

Well she's out.  Scariest part is removing the two lambda sensors and O2 sensor once you realize how much they would cost to replace.

i-wLhkGxw-M.jpg

FYI...if anyone finds this thread, don't follow the directions from Akrapovic. Just use the factory service manual (yes, it's available for this year) to remove the header.  The instructions from Akrapovic missed a few critical steps which will stop you dead in your tracks.  

i-CxDDLcM-M.jpg

Prime example of the silliest of the instructions is it tells you to mark the cables for the exhaust flapper but the Akrapovic flapper opens the opposite way of OEM so you have to reverse the cables.  Never mind the fact, the cable ends are different sizes so you can't screw it up. 

i-4FT8DjV-M.jpg

All done. The bike didn't get louder, from what I can tell and it seems to be throwing less heat. Did it increase the HP?  Time will tell. I reset all the settings via the GS-911 so I'll need to ride it some more to see how it performs. 

i-DMvBw8X-M.jpg

Dave...

• Like 2