IGNORED

Seeking suggestions for "best" two-day ride from SoCal to Red Bluff

Rob Nowell

Greetings, Gents:

A friend and I will be heading to Oregon the second week of July.  Originally, I had planned to slab I-5 for 500 miles to Red Bluff the first day, just to quickly obliterate the distance.  Now, we're thinking it would make more sense to enjoy that leg and make a fun/scenic two-day jaunt out of it.  I figure there's no better source for advice than you guys.  So:  Whatcha got?

To Red Bluff correct? What is your starting point?  Two days?  What is your seat/time mileage limit?  All pavement? I lived in Chico last year and captured a lot of local NoCal road knowledge. I can send you ideas.

Oh, why Red Bluff?  Is your plan to head west on 36 from there?

Rob Nowell
1 hour ago, GSJOE said:

To Red Bluff correct? What is your starting point?  Two days?  What is your seat/time mileage limit?  All pavement? I lived in Chico last year and captured a lot of local NoCal road knowledge. I can send you ideas.

2 days, yes; pavement; palmdale-lancaster; 300 mile days, maybe six hours; up to Oregon from there. Thanks 

It's 505 miles if you bomb up the 5 most (direct route).  So, you are looking for a 100 mile diversion?  Don't see that working for you as you would need to head East or West to accommodate an alternative route. I think either extend to (3) days or you should just bomb it.

Okay, try this ...

1. 49 North is a wonderful road with very light traffic.

2. At Grass Valley, take 20 west to Marysville Road to Quincy LaPorte Road (your welcome).  One of the best roads in Northern CA.  Stop at Reilly's Saloon for a break, you'll need it after endless twisties.  

3. Continue to Quincy on 70 then 89 North to Lake Almanor.

4. Then 36 West to 89 North to Lassen Peak (out and back if you have time)

5. On to Red Bluff

Map Link: https://maps.app.goo.gl/HSeHTkDWacvsxNer9

• Thanks 1
  • Smile 1