IGNORED

Why Don’t People Use Their BMW Adventure Bikes To Go Off-Road?

MotoNews

Like this? Yesterdays ride west of home. 

PXL_20240515_173101202.thumb.jpg.81b7d01a4addd44124bc34944e63a662.jpg

PXL_20240515_173134183.thumb.jpg.3398d4a0b2f5679efee1a1f8feb4189c.jpg

Not off road in my definition, it is a road, it's on maps, it is seasonal and not paved. To me off road implies trails or dirt tracks. That I'm not really into much with a big GS, but off pavement, absolutely.

• Like 1

Not saying this was a successful pass through route but, we gave it a go.

image.thumb.jpeg.93128ae8582fd33afd9462433a22c2e9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
John Ranalletta

Strictly person: 

1. Most GS motos I see are newer and few riders, mostly older chaps. can stand the thought of trashing theirs in the woods.
  2. Most dual sport riders will get injured sooner or later.
  3. Old bones heal very, very slowly.

About 6 years ago, I bought and repaired a 2005 GS just for off road, a pair of Aerostitch combat touring boots used and a flip up helmet.  Having assembled most of what I needed to set off on an off road adventure, at 72, I happened to glance in the mirror one day and asked myself, "Self, WTF are you thinking?"  Sold the boots, the helmet and the GS soon after.

YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 3
RadioFlyer

Shouldn't a real adventure bike have a factory shop manual? BMW stopped selling those. Not many dealerships off road.

I took my Triumph Tiger 1200XCX off road often , but aging and riding alone most of the time went back to sport touring . 2023 R1250RS now , and I've run it through a many gravel roads and ditches to see a few areas . put a GS1200 bash plate on it . 

RS in Mssouri.jpg

2af4ebb327e0aafed32daf89a579ea39.jpg

20220302_114620.jpg

20211004_181813.jpg

• Like 1

Photo of my buddies RTP on street tires that came 1 mile short of the summit . Mud / snow stopped him . 

08fa937328461e79d46cf1c4ec74a735.jpg

• Like 1

It was a awesome fun trip .  A yamaha serow 250 would of been a better choice though ;) 

3631188c7f13383f713f5587f409ff58.jpg

75f80b3f9618e1aa7315cb03a63dc7c2.jpg

d31a23541054d7a5c5dd580d5d623d30.jpg

• Like 2
5 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

I happened to glance in the mirror one day and asked myself, "Self, WTF are you thinking?"

I think that day is coming for all of us in many different forms. I’m glad you’ve decided to continue with pavement riding. After my dirt bike racing incident years ago at almost 50, I made that same statement and decided street and adventure touring is where my “more” happy place is. No more racing.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, c10 said:

It was a awesome fun trip .  A yamaha serow 250 would of been a better choice though ;) 

3631188c7f13383f713f5587f409ff58.jpg

75f80b3f9618e1aa7315cb03a63dc7c2.jpg

d31a23541054d7a5c5dd580d5d623d30.jpg

GET that man a GS with proper adventure tires!  :yes:

Etienne Lau

Same question could be asked, "Why do people buy SUVs, and never take them off-road?" :19:.  If I were to buy a GS, would I ride it off-road? Maybe, it comes down to time and my skill-set. Meaning I would need to take a off-road course to increase my off-road ability. I used ride road bicycles and loved it. And then did what everyone else did switch to MTB. Meh..not my favourite. I road in Vancouver, BC which is a MTB capital if you will. I found it challenging,  yes, but not my favourite compared to going fast on the road....

Like SUV, I do find MTB to be great for kicking around town, knowing that I can bounce up onto curbs and off curbs, etc...without damaging rims. Same would apply to Adventure bikes and SUV. Knowing you can climb over curbs, taller riding heigh, etc..Adventure Bikes = SUV.

• Plus 1 1
Hosstage

I used to own a Jeep, took it off road quite a few times. Turns out it gets really muddy (not good for most under carriage components), gets dented  and scratched first one hurts when new) and gets stuck a lot further from help. Most of that transfers to off-roading a GS too, so that may explain why they don't get too deep into the woods. Most Jeeps don't either.

I also firmly believe the SUV craze was spawned by the movie Red Dawn. Every body figured they needed to be able to escape the Russian invasion and go Wolverines!

R21A-Bumble

I use mine on gravel roads but in the twisties there is no other bike I have felt more confident on than the R1150GS and GSA. I use a KTM 450 EXC for stuff I don't want to clean off the GS. It's a tad lighter to pick up from a creek...

John Ranalletta
On 5/16/2024 at 2:26 PM, John Ranalletta said:

Strictly person: 

1. Most GS motos I see are newer and few riders, mostly older chaps. can stand the thought of trashing theirs in the woods.
  2. Most dual sport riders will get injured sooner or later.
  3. Old bones heal very, very slowly.

About 6 years ago, I bought and repaired a 2005 GS just for off road, a pair of Aerostitch combat touring boots used and a flip up helmet.  Having assembled most of what I needed to set off on an off road adventure, at 72, I happened to glance in the mirror one day and asked myself, "Self, WTF are you thinking?"  Sold the boots, the helmet and the GS soon after.

YMMV

See latest Itchyboots.  So sad for her.

• Sad 1
17 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

See latest Itchyboots.  So sad for her.

Sorry but that felt staged… :dontknow: why cut the camera during the actual fall. :5146:

• Plus 1 1
John Ranalletta
On 5/20/2024 at 7:20 AM, TEWKS said:

Sorry but that felt staged… :dontknow: why cut the camera during the actual fall. :5146:

image.thumb.png.d00a92224f828e16e01810d7a5502aed.png

Fake surgery! :read: :rofl: Ok, I was wron wr wr wrong! :classic_blush: She’s one tough cookie then. :thumbsup:

But really WHY cut the footage? :dontknow:

• Haha 1
Rougarou

It's just a collarbone.  Broke mine on a Thursday at Jumpschool (swing landing trainer for those that know), was chopping wood on Sunday and I didn't get no screw/plates in mine:classic_biggrin:.  There's about a finger thickness of height difference on mine about where her center screw is.  'twas a complete break for me.  She needs to just take some 800mg Motrin and be done:classic_biggrin:

wbw6cos

Yeah, those Marines are a different breed altogether.    :18:

• Smile 1
57 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Can smell the testosterone from here.

:classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
Rougarou
5 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

Yeah, those Marines are a different breed altogether.    :18:

Funky thing, I didn't even know it was broke.  After I got slam dunked, I got back up, my shoulder felt warm and fuzzy, I reached up, left side collar felt a bit jagged, right side smooth.  I raised my left arm and yelled at the Black Hat that "I think I broke my collarbone".  He asked which, I said "left".  He's like, if you broke the left one, you wouldn't be lifting your arm.  So, I pull my cammies aside and he could see the bone pushing skin.  Called the Medic (those Army bedpan dumpers), Medic says "I think you pulled a muscle",......that's Army training for ya.  Anyway, go to the little medical office, to which Doctor, a Captain says that I need to go to the post hospital.  Ok, you got a driver.  Nope, you gotta take the base bus:dontknow:  Good thing I didn't have an injury or anything.

Get to the hospital, and after the bumpy base bus ride, shoulder is starting to ache a bit.  Xray tech says "yep, that's a good one".  ER doc and nurse brings me in a small room.  I ask why, they say so when the harness gets tightened, others don't see who's screaming in pain.  They put this medieval strap thingy on me, commence to tightening and bringing my elbows behind me.  Elbows are nearly touching, doc asks, "does it hurt", I reply, "it's a bit uncomfortable, but not really hurting bad".  That finishes the tightening.  I ask if I can complete jump school, "nope, DQ'd for six months"........that was my only shot at jumpschool.  I shoulda not said anything from the get go and got some ace bandages to strap myself up.  Drove home to CLNC the next morning in my five speed truck.

Wife does always say I got a high pain tolerance,.....'cept for splinters. 

• Like 2