IGNORED

TPMS, disrupted signal

KDeline

KDeline

2009 1200 RT 70,000 miles. 

I have replaced the sensors in both wheels three times and I continue to get this error. Signal disrupted. I’ll start off with that these are knock offs from Amazon and or eBay which in the past have served me well on eight different motorcycles. I had a chance for a long weekend ride and these are my observations.

When puttering around town and going fairly short distances, they work perfect. If I start riding longer rides and stay at sustained higher speeds, usually the rear sensor cuts out first. If I continue going it times out and takes out the front sensor. This is only reversed 10% of the time where the front sensor goes out and then eventually takes out the rear. Also, if the rear sensor goes out at speed and I come to a stop it will start working again. If both sensors are taken out, I have to stop, recycle the ignition and they both start working instantly. I am hard-pressed to think this is battery issues in the sensors because of this response.  Also, there is no rhyme or reason to the timing, I could be driving down the highway for 100 miles and they work, the next day I’ll go 10 miles and they’ll malfunction.

I’m reluctant to go out and buy the high priced BMW sensors from the dealership (I know, cheapest thing on a BMW…..) but that’s probably where I have to start just to confirm OEM sensors. Problem is other than being $90 a sensor, it lists them as not available. I can only assume they have a different type that you can install. Has anybody else had this issue? 

dirtrider
17 minutes ago, KDeline said:

2009 1200 RT 70,000 miles. 

I have replaced the sensors in both wheels three times and I continue to get this error. Signal disrupted. I’ll start off with that these are knock offs from Amazon and or eBay which in the past have served me well on eight different motorcycles. I had a chance for a long weekend ride and these are my observations.

When puttering around town and going fairly short distances, they work perfect. If I start riding longer rides and stay at sustained higher speeds, usually the rear sensor cuts out first. If I continue going it times out and takes out the front sensor. This is only reversed 10% of the time where the front sensor goes out and then eventually takes out the rear. Also, if the rear sensor goes out at speed and I come to a stop it will start working again. If both sensors are taken out, I have to stop, recycle the ignition and they both start working instantly. I am hard-pressed to think this is battery issues in the sensors because of this response.  Also, there is no rhyme or reason to the timing, I could be driving down the highway for 100 miles and they work, the next day I’ll go 10 miles and they’ll malfunction.

I’m reluctant to go out and buy the high priced BMW sensors from the dealership (I know, cheapest thing on a BMW…..) but that’s probably where I have to start just to confirm OEM sensors. Problem is other than being $90 a sensor, it lists them as not available. I can only assume they have a different type that you can install. Has anybody else had this issue? 

Afternoon KDeline

That is a strange occurrence. It does sort of point to the sensors but could also be some sort of signal interference. 

As you are showing "signal disrupted" that seems to be before the CAN (CanBus) is involved. But just to be sure, you don't have a removed radio or removed alarm system that that hasn't had the CAN connector properly terminated with a resistor? 

Does it still give you the fault in cold whether? If only in hot weather then possibly a heat thing in the sensors. 

Are you carrying anything like radar detector or other electronic device that could effect the sensor signal?  Have you tried riding with your cell phone turned off? 

KDeline

I should’ve mentioned all that and meant to. Never had a radio, and it still has the existing alarm. The only electronic thing I have is my cell phone. And I think this morning I did make the observation as they lasted much longer and it was 51° when I started riding. In fact today stayed under 75 and they worked fine. Also, it’s obviously the GS 911 that’s showing signal disrupted when I check for fault codes.

dirtrider
7 minutes ago, KDeline said:

I should’ve mentioned all that and meant to. Never had a radio, and it still has the existing alarm. The only electronic thing I have is my cell phone. And I think this morning I did make the observation as they lasted much longer and it was 51° when I started riding. In fact today stayed under 75 and they worked fine. Also, it’s obviously the GS 911 that’s showing signal disrupted when I check for fault codes.

Afternoon KDeline

Do you have the red WiFi GS-911? If so that can trap the data while your ride (you will need an extension cable to allow the seat to be reinstalled (or unbolt the diagnostic plug & move it so the GS-911 clears) . The trapped data might point a finger at something. 

If you have an older GS-911 you can still trap data but you will need your laptop along & connected. 

If you can tie it into a heat situation then that is something to look into but without known-good pressure sensors to use as a test it will be difficult to prove out. 

RadioFlyer

FWIW should your diagnosis lead you to want to buy new sensors...

There is no need to buy the overpriced BMW sensors made by Schrader to get OEM quality.

Schrader makes a 3141M aftermarket sensor and it also makes the 33900 programmable sensor that will work when programmed as if it were being installed in a 2009 Saturn Astra.

KDeline
4 hours ago, RadioFlyer said:

FWIW should your diagnosis lead you to want to buy new sensors...

There is no need to buy the overpriced BMW sensors made by Schrader to get OEM quality.

Schrader makes a 3141M aftermarket sensor and it also makes the 33900 programmable sensor that will work when programmed as if it were being installed in a 2009 Saturn Astra.

I assume the GS 911 will program the 33900?