IGNORED

Klockwerks Windshield

Steveyacht
Posted (edited)

I ordered the Klockwerks windshield. (21" as measured with a cloth tape from top to bottom, in the center. Optically it is clear and distortion free, with this caveat, when looking through the base of the flare, where is curves upward, there is a bit of optical distortion, as you would expect, I'm not looking through it, so it doesn't really matter to me.  I specifically looked for flaws, scratches, or other manufacturing defects and found nothing worthy of note. 

The mounting holes were a tiny bit rough, but it only took my fingernail to clean up the edges.= before transferring the rubber grommets from the original shield to this one.  Total time to mount was around 10 minutes, or less. (I didn't time it)

I chose the lightly tinted one, I think it looks pretty good on the bike vs clear, but other's may not agree.  

As of this writing, I've only put about 300 miles on the bike since mounting this new windshield.  I made a point of riding on a local 6 lane at a sustained 75 mph for about 30 miles.  First impression, it's quieter, in the lowest position as compared to the stock 21" shield no matter what position the stock unit was set at.  There is no back pressure (station wagon effect) what-so-ever. I always found this pressure on the back of my head annoying with the stock windshield.

The "flip" at the top directs the wind flow up and over my helmet even with the screen in the lowest position, which I now use all the time.  The 'Hips" at the top direct the wind flow outwards, similar to what is shown on the Zteckniks advertisement.  This is probably another reason it's so quiet. 

It was quite windy that day yet I noticed no ill effects from the wind, the stability was great, even in a cross wind. It was also very warm and humid, here is my one negative, it protected me so well that there wasn't a great deal of cooling. 

While I haven't ridden in the rain, YET,  but I'm betting that it will work very well in inclement weather conditions. I'm sure I'll find out on my upcoming trip to the Americade, as the long range forecast does show rain's acomin' and it doesn't look like it will be very warm, as compared to coastal South Carolina.  

Overall, I'm quite pleased with my purchase and the performance of the Klockwerks windshield as compared to the stock unit.  I may be switching back to that 21" windshield that the bike came equipped with when riding in hot, humid conditions around town or back in forth to work, but the Klock will be my go to when travelling and when the weather turns cooler. 

It brought back memories of when we toured the US and Eastern Candada on our Aspencade, it created a nice, quiet, comfortable pocket of still air that was pleasant to spend hours in while on the road.

Edited by Steveyacht
Forgot to mention something
  • Like 3