IGNORED

Clutches

Rob Nowell

Rob Nowell

Yes, I realize this is not a "new" topic, so holster your guns, please.  When I had my dealer perform the 36k service on my 2016 RT, they called and said there was "clutch material" in the drained oil; they suggested a new clutch.  I declined and asked you guys about it.  I received a few comments such as, "How could they ascertain it was clutch material, without a lab analysis?"  Fast forward to this week's 48k service, where their clutch report and recommendation was reiterated.  I told them that they said the same thing last year, and that I had had no problems.  Further, I asked how they could be sure it was clutch material without a test.  They told me there was shimmering material in the drained oil, and that the clutch was a likely cause.  I once again declined.  Now I'm getting nervous about an Oregon trip coming in July.  Maybe I should bite the billfold bullet and get the clutch replaced the next time I am due for an oil change.  Note:  I'm currently at 50,000 miles.  I welcome helpful, meaningful comments and constructive criticism.

dirtrider
41 minutes ago, Rob Nowell said:

Yes, I realize this is not a "new" topic, so holster your guns, please.  When I had my dealer perform the 36k service on my 2016 RT, they called and said there was "clutch material" in the drained oil; they suggested a new clutch.  I declined and asked you guys about it.  I received a few comments such as, "How could they ascertain it was clutch material, without a lab analysis?"  Fast forward to this week's 48k service, where their clutch report and recommendation was reiterated.  I told them that they said the same thing last year, and that I had had no problems.  Further, I asked how they could be sure it was clutch material without a test.  They told me there was shimmering material in the drained oil, and that the clutch was a likely cause.  I once again declined.  Now I'm getting nervous about an Oregon trip coming in July.  Maybe I should bite the billfold bullet and get the clutch replaced the next time I am due for an oil change.  Note:  I'm currently at 50,000 miles.  I welcome helpful, meaningful comments and constructive criticism.

Afternoon Rob 

No way to really know without an oil analysis. Order a kit form Blackstone labs then next oil change grab an oil sample then send it in for analysis.

Also, ask you dealer what parts of the clutch are actually producing "shimmering material"?

Skywagon

Hmmm. I’d wait for DR and Boxflyer to comment… but depending on how you use the bike and clutch will most likely determine whether needed or not. 

If you are flogging it hard, high rev slipping, etc then maybe. If you ride conservatively to mildly aggressive, and no symptoms like slipping or smell, then I would keep riding it

Tool my wife’s BMW car in for service at 36,000. The 3 year warranty had expired.  Well, bad news… needs a head gasket.  Hmmm no water in the oil, no adverse signs of steam or anything else. No thanks. Drove the car to about 150,000 miles and no problems. 

• Like 2
The Fabricator

You can ask for the dealer to cut the oil filter apart to inspect for chips/debris on the paper element.

The only time I have seen 'shimming material' in oil is with dirt bikes that have aluminum plain plates or something aluminum in the engine that is getting ground up.

Lowndes
1 hour ago, The Fabricator said:

You can ask for the dealer to cut the oil filter apart to inspect for chips/debris on the paper element.

Maybe ask for the dealer FOR the oil filter and YOU cut it apart to inspect for chips/debris on the paper element. EZPZ.

The only time I have seen 'shimming material' in oil is with dirt bikes that have aluminum plain plates or something aluminum in the engine that is getting ground up.

Me, too.

Somethings smells alright.  Might not be the clutch.

• Like 1
Stiggy

Good time to point out that most Service Writers in the auto (,and motorcycle,) industry are paid commission....Buyer Beware!

Paul De

Sounds weird to me too. If clutch is not slipping , or grabby, at all I would hold off and do a Blackstone test to see what the “shimmery stuff” is.

Unless you often carry full loads, predominately ride mountainous roads, or often ride extra frisky with lots of feathering the clutch, it would seem 50K wouldn’t yet be the end of service life for the clutch.

Oh yeah, if you do lots of hole shots, that’ll prolly make shimmery stuff in the oil too😎

• Like 1
Rob Nowell
6 hours ago, Skywagon said:

If you ride conservatively to mildly aggressive, and no symptoms like slipping or smell,

that's me!

Rob Nowell
2 hours ago, Paul De said:

feathering the clutch

never have!

Rob Nowell
3 hours ago, Stiggy said:

Good time to point out that most Service Writers in the auto (,and motorcycle,) industry are paid commission....Buyer Beware!

I am just hoping:  "Say it ain't so, Joe!"  Especially since I ride an extra 100 miles each way to let them (yes, LET THEM) service my bike; it's where I bought it, they should respect me.

Rockosmith

Given your clutch is not slipping but you are getting shimmering material at oil changes, I would be inclined to take a good close look at the cams and followers for wear. Not an unheard of issue on wetheads of varying mileage. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 5
  • Thanks 1
9Mary7
15 hours ago, Rob Nowell said:

that's me!

The wet clutch will withstand abuse far better and longer than the older dry clutches will. With your stated use I too would get an oil analysis as you'll most likely never wear your wet clutch out. The clutch will let you know when it is done........... by slipping.

• Plus 1 2
  • Thanks 1
Rob Nowell

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.  I value your input and will follow up with an oil analysis.

• 1 month later...
Rob Nowell

I've been sick, so haven't been able to ride. I ordered the test kit and will foll through on the analysis the next time I change oil. Damn right I will be reporting to the masses!