IGNORED

Speedometer only works after travelling several kms.

Manuel61

Manuel61

Hello. The speedometer of my 2006 R1200ST doesn't register for the first few kilometers on the road ( 3 to 4 kms. ). After said distance it suddenly just begins to work regardless of distance travelled. Is it time to replace the sensor/s? Any help & advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Manuel

dirtrider
7 hours ago, Manuel61 said:

Hello. The speedometer of my 2006 R1200ST doesn't register for the first few kilometers on the road ( 3 to 4 kms. ). After said distance it suddenly just begins to work regardless of distance travelled. Is it time to replace the sensor/s? Any help & advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Manuel

Morning  Manuel

Without a GS-911 fault code it is a guessing game. 

Your problem could be electronic, or a wheel speed sensor related, or even something like a very loose rear wheel crown bearing. 

First thing is make sure the front wheel sensor pigtail wire is not (or has not been) rubbing on the brake caliper. 

Next thing to look at is the rear wheel speed sensor, pull it out of the drive & make sure it isn't covered with fine metallic particles. If it is then clean it off then see if your issue is gone. If the sensor is covered with metallic particles then you probably also have internal final drive issues. 

Are you getting any brake failure warnings on the dash?

If you recently put a front tire on that motorcycle make sure the front wheel is re-installed correctly. 

Rougarou
1 hour ago, dirtrider said:

First thing is make sure the front wheel sensor pigtail wire is not (or has not been) rubbing on the brake caliper. 

Or mushed in the caliper bolt.

Manuel61

Hi Dirtrider and Rougarou. Thank you so much for the quick reply to my post. I'll check on your suggestions and hopefully one or even two of them hit the problem right at once. I'll let you know as soon it's done. Thanks again. It's much appreciated.

Manuel