IGNORED

Wethead Rocker Arms, cams, and DLC

SlowRideOhio

SlowRideOhio

All, I'm thinking of buying a Wethead, but before I do, I'd like to get some re-assurance on the Rocker Arm diamond-like coating issue.

I currently ride a  13 K1600GTL, but I'm thinking about changing to a GS.  I know, the engine certainly won't be as smooth!  (Used to own a 07 RT).

Looking at GS's in the 2014-2017 range, mostly to keep the price around $10k.

Anyway, I've seen numerous threads (here, Adventure Rider, etc.) discussing the rocker arms having improper DLC, and that they were replaced with a new part number.  

But I don't believe there was a recall, correct?   I also saw a Service Notice posted here.

So if a bike has the issue, I'd be on the hook for the cost of repairs, correct?

Does the dealership inspect the Rocker Arms as it part of a 12K service ?  The reason I ask is that several of the bike ads I've read recently say that they have had the 12K service done.

It would be nice to know that the bike I were to buy does not have the issue.  Was the problem limited to certain years?  Or a limited run of bike VINs?

Thanks,

Dean

TSConver

It can happen to any wethead.  The 12k inspection is only looking at the valve lash and in doing that they would notice a worn cam lobe but a rocker inspection is not done.

Stiggy

I believe it happens to only a small batch of motorcycles who may have been unfortunate to get the same bad batch of cams.

(I was going to look during my 18,000 mi oil change but didn't bother as the bike runs and sounds every bit as strong as it did 12,000 miles ago.)

I'll look at the 24,000 service of course, but don't expect to find anything amiss. (2017 RT)

dmsantam

It only happens to some. unfortunately you can't know if it will be yours at that mileage. 

According to BMW, the DLC comes off the followers and then the cams get damaged. the fix is to change the followers and any damaged cams. it's an expensive exercise, and you need the cam timing tools to do it. I've seen it happen as low as 30,000km and as high as 100,000km. 

The updated followers have a different design. See pic below, old worn ones removed, and new design installed.on the shaft. 

If the bike has no loud ticking sounds (some valve noise is normal) then it hasn't happened (yet). 

Screenshot_20240609-071103.thumb.png.13e65e3b7182ce0e019806391f0fa8d6.png

• Like 1