IGNORED

Brake Flush

dduelin

dduelin

When the four year brake flush is done should I exercise the ABS pump with the GS911? I only have the Haynes manual and it doesn't include any such detail. I already flushed the four year old DOT4 and buttoned up the system last week but I can do it again.

dirtrider
52 minutes ago, dduelin said:

When the four year brake flush is done should I exercise the ABS pump with the GS911? I only have the Haynes manual and it doesn't include any such detail. I already flushed the four year old DOT4 and buttoned up the system last week but I can do it again.

Afternoon dduelin

You can do it that way. Personally, after the initial bleed service I turn the key to on,  then spin the rear wheel & while using the front hand lever. That exercises the rear brake servo pump (I do this a few times) then I do a quick rear brake re-bleed.  There is no front servo pump.  

dduelin
25 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon dduelin

You can do it that way. Personally, after the initial bleed service I turn the key to on,  then spin the rear wheel & while using the front hand lever. That exercises the rear brake servo pump (I do this a few times) then I do a quick rear brake re-bleed.  There is no front servo pump.  

Thanks, maybe a dumb statement  on my part but I have a 2007 and didn't know it had a servo pump. I thought that servo pumps were only on 2005-2006 models.

dirtrider
46 minutes ago, dduelin said:

Thanks, maybe a dumb statement  on my part but I have a 2007 and didn't know it had a servo pump. I thought that servo pumps were only on 2005-2006 models.

Evening Dave

The 2006/2006 has a front & rear servo pump. Your 2007 only has a rear servo pump (rear servo pump is the way BMW gets a linked front/rear brake along with a stand alone rear brake from the brake pedal. 

With a single rear caliper but only one hydraulic input that is way it has to be to have both a linked & stand alone rear brake.

• Like 1
Uncle Brad
On 6/6/2024 at 6:19 PM, dirtrider said:

Evening Dave

The 2006/2006 has a front & rear servo pump. Your 2007 only has a rear servo pump (rear servo pump is the way BMW gets a linked front/rear brake along with a stand alone rear brake from the brake pedal. 

With a single rear caliper but only one hydraulic input that is way it has to be to have both a linked & stand alone rear brake.

My turn to ask a dumb question.

With only a rear servo pump, does that mean that the ABS only works on the rear tire?  I bought a 2007 with non-working ABS and i assumed that the ABS was fore and aft.

dirtrider
9 minutes ago, Uncle Brad said:

My turn to ask a dumb question.

With only a rear servo pump, does that mean that the ABS only works on the rear tire?  I bought a 2007 with non-working ABS and i assumed that the ABS was fore and aft.

Morning  Uncle Brad

Not a dumb question, 

The rear brake uses a servo pump for both linked rear brake apply but also for rear ABS make-up fluid during an ABS event. 

The front brake is not linked to the rear pedal so it doesn't need a servo pump for linking. The front brake uses a fast acting valved fluid accumulator for ABS  make-up fluid during an ABS event.  

• Like 2