IGNORED

Chatter

Dennis Andress

Dennis Andress

Yeah, I'm rushing this...   Eureka Springs weather forecast for the next few days. How much warmer will it be four weeks from now when we are there?

un-weather.jpg

• Thinking 1
MikeB60

Well we are in a record heatwave for this time of year in the southeast. 99 degrees on my deck a I type. 

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

It was 90 in the shade at dinner time yesterday.  Good, old fashion summer.  Why, I remember....

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
Skywagon

Here is long range forecast for July… probably a guess that far out. Doesn’t look too bad

308E9754-F299-4397-9AB4-04E5DAC445AD.jpeg

TSConver
58 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Here is long range forecast for July… probably a guess that far out. Doesn’t look too bad

Ah hell now we are screwed.

Dennis Andress

So….   What’s your favorite route across West Texas?

13 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Great - No rain?

• Haha 1
Dennis Andress
4 hours ago, Bernie said:

Great - No rain?

Well sh**! Then I’m not going…

• Haha 2
roadscholar
20 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

None in July on a motorcycle. Elevation is your friend, If it were me I'd take 60 to Santa Rosa for some secondary road scenery (Amarillo is 3500') then slab it to Fort Smith to make up time. A cool little town in between is Okemah, OK, home of Woody Guthrie, there's a great old time 3rd or 4th generation hardware store that sells used tires out the back, damhik : )

https://www.woodyfest.com/

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
32 minutes ago, roadscholar said:

A cool little town in between is Okemah, OK, home of Woody Guthrie, there's a great old time 3rd or 4th generation hardware store that sells used tires out the back, damhik : )

https://www.woodyfest.com/

Are there any fun roads in Oklahoma?

• Haha 1
BamaJohn
21 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

The very northern border. :whistle:

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX
1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

Are there any fun roads in Oklahoma?

The eastern part of OK is much like AR.

• Like 1
Dave_in_TX
3 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

The very northern border. :whistle:

I have had much more boring rides than I10 through west Texas.

BamaJohn
9 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I have had much more boring rides than I10 through west Texas.

Apologies to Dave, and so have I (had more boring rides than I-10 thru west Texas).

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Unrally.

Oldrider51

The temperature is one thing, but it is the humidity that will kill you. 92 is okay but not with a heat index of over 100 which is entirely possibly in July. Ask how I know, I live here!

Dennis Andress

Yeah, I grew up in Austin, worked for a summer on the Houston ship channel….  Tucson was a couple degrees cooler today at 104°. 

The Atlanta crowd is getting ready
new, front sprocket, chain, rear sprocket, oil filter, oil, front tire and rear tire
luggage carrier for truck
Motorcycle lift for truck
did a test run from Lawrenceville, GA to Clayton, GA up to blue Ridge parkway back to Clayton
Still about 6 items on the to-do list 
but getting there

IMG_3455.jpg

IMG_3456.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

IMG_3480.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3487.jpg

• Like 6

Finally got to go for a ride this morning. The bike is ready after its encounter with a TN Rock at START 24. New front and rear tires mounted, with a new front rim. Also, Exhaust system replaced, since cross over tube got crushed by the Rock. 

Now it’s time for its 12k service and then the bike should be ready for the UnRally 2024. As for the operator, that is a puzzle in itself. :4607:

• Like 6
  • Smile 3
  • Haha 1
BamaJohn

Two days ago I began the task of replacing the rear tire and brake pads on the Spyder (a significant task by itself).

Once the lift was placed properly, I removed the rear brake caliper and removed the old pads, to discover that the pads were toast (but not to the metal) and the caliper piston had extended and come loose from it's shaft (the front caliper pistons just push in/out, but the rear piston screws in/out, much like some automobiles).

So, 12 days before leaving for the UNrally, I'm screwed by a caliper piston becoming UNscrewed!

Researching whether this has happened before, I found that this is a known issue, and the fix is hit & miss.  If I'm unable to get the piston screwed back onto its shaft, the only option is a new Brembo caliper at $500!

The good news is that a new tire is now mounted and the caliper is on my work bench.  Now to practice my yoga mantra and screw the piston!

• Sad 3
Dave_in_TX
2 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

Two days ago I began the task of replacing the rear tire and brake pads on the Spyder (a significant task by itself).

Once the lift was placed properly, I removed the rear brake caliper and removed the old pads, to discover that the pads were toast (but not to the metal) and the caliper piston had extended and come loose from it's shaft (the front caliper pistons just push in/out, but the rear piston screws in/out, much like some automobiles).

So, 12 days before leaving for the UNrally, I'm screwed by a caliper piston becoming UNscrewed!

Researching whether this has happened before, I found that this is a known issue, and the fix is hit & miss.  If I'm unable to get the piston screwed back onto its shaft, the only option is a new Brembo caliper at $500!

The good news is that a new tire is now mounted and the caliper is on my work bench.  Now to practice my yoga mantra and screw the piston!

Good luck

• Thanks 1
BamaJohn

Well, it's now 9 days till departure for UNrally '24, and the Gremlins; Banshee; Rougarou; and Marie Laveau have all teamed up to place as many obstacles as possible in the way.

• 6/25--A new rear brake caliper was ordered...-in stock in Southern IL.  Supposed to deliver 6/27-28 via USPS ;
  • It went to STL first;
  • 6/27 (today), USPS says it's in PORTLAND OREGON!- not Alabama!   I can only deduct that the routing system at USPS is directionally-challenged!!!!

The shipper is working with USPS to see what's real, and what can be done.  

Did I mention that I don't like drama?........

• Sad 1
Skywagon

Wx long range forecast suggest it might be a tad warm, but no rain.  Since our Wx folks can't predict this afternoon with any degree of accuracy, take it for what it's worth.  See ya soon.

Screenshot_27-6-2024_111749_weather.com.jpeg

Screenshot_27-6-2024_111649_weather.com.jpeg

Rougarou
39 minutes ago, BamaJohn said:

Well, it's now 9 days till departure for UNrally '24, and the Gremlins; Banshee; Rougarou; and Marie Laveau have all teamed up to place as many obstacles as possible in the way.

I did no such thing:classic_biggrin:

• Smile 1
  • Haha 2
Rougarou
10 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Wx long range forecast suggest it might be a tad warm, but no rain.  Since our Wx folks can't predict this afternoon with any degree of accuracy, take it for what it's worth.  See ya soon.

Screenshot_27-6-2024_111749_weather.com.jpeg

Screenshot_27-6-2024_111649_weather.com.jpeg

Well, on my ride home yesterday, bike thermo hit 100* on the dot,.....prolly just heat reflecting from the road.....it simmered back down to 98*

• Thinking 1
Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, BamaJohn said:

It is all too common.

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 2
Dennis Andress

A SW Arizona's monsoon consists of cloudy days of humidity and heat. This crud will build for a couple of days and then let loose. Typically, when the forecast is for a 60% chance of rain, 60% of the town will get really wet. That happened last Saturday when 40% of town got more than 2" of rain (that's a lot). But, the clouds and humidity are still here. I guess I'm being acclimatized.

It might rain again this weekend, but it might not.

• Like 2

I had the bike at BMW of Daytona for its 12k service, besides changing oil, oil filter, air filter and spark plugs they also tested the drive shaft and after it past the test lubed the splines. They also flushed the brake system, which the other dealer forgot to do at 6 k service. Also all intake valves needed adjusting and they installed the newest software, 014_012_021. Now I can play Netflix videos while curve surfing. :3::4607:

IMG_1716.thumb.jpeg.a7a7aeb3f04157751bee716eadf75528.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1
MikeB60
19 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

• 6/25--A new rear brake caliper was ordered...-in stock in Southern IL.  Supposed to deliver 6/27-28 via USPS ;
  • It went to STL first;
  • 6/27 (today), USPS says it's in PORTLAND OREGON!- not Alabama!   I can only deduct that the routing system at USPS is directionally-challenged!!!!

The shipper is working with USPS to see what's real, and what can be done.  

John, you forgot the Bell Witch !

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
BamaJohn

Update:  New rear tire fitted and installed....new rear caliper arrived & installed & bled (thanks to a Friend...you know who you are!). Wound up taking a full quart of Dot4 to clear all the air!  

As of this morning, the Spyder's ready and so am I.......

• Like 7
  • Smile 1

Atlanta crew leaves in 4 days and 12 hours :-)

I am so ready for this trip

• Like 3
Dave_in_TX

I have about 725 miles from where I'm staying in Wisconsin to the motel. Hope to leave for Eueka Springs about 5am Sunday.

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Dave_in_TX said:

I have about 725 miles from where I'm staying in Wisconsin to the motel. Hope to leave for Eueka Springs about 5am Sunday.

Is anybody else going to arrive Sunday and going to ride Monday?

I'll try to find you guys Sunday evening at the hotel somewhere...

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
20 minutes ago, Tron said:

Me

image.jpeg

Bernie

23 minutes ago, Tron said:

If plans work out the way they should, I should be checking in Saturday evening.

IMG_1693.thumb.jpeg.ecd584c057ecfccb21ee2f158ad46c57.jpeg

• Plus 1 1
Bernie
3 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

Me

image.jpeg

I like your new ride. 

Dennis Andress
45 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I like your new ride. 

A case of premix is about all it can carry.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 1
Dave_in_TX
2 hours ago, Tron said:

After a long day riding down Sunday, I may or may not be in the mood to ride Monday.

• Like 1

the Atlanta crew, Randy, Uncle Tom, Andy and Kathryn are arriving Saturday 7/6 around 6pm Local time.
We plan on a nice dinner, to bed early and riding Sunday - Friday leaving the following Saturday 7/13

If anyone else is riding Sunday and does not mind a slow group, please join us.

• Plus 1 1
Skywagon
43 minutes ago, randy said:

anyone else is riding Sunday and does not mind a slow group, please join us.

Not Sunday but Mon-Fri would be nice and appreciated. I can ride fast, but prefer scenery vs speed

• Like 1
MikeB60
9 hours ago, Tron said:

We are arriving on Saturday. Follow the cigar smoke, you'll find me! Definitely up for a ride on Monday. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1
Bernie

Well, I have intention of riding every day. That is really the reason I ride to these events.

Bike is loaded and my back seat navigator is ready to go.

IMG_1734.thumb.jpeg.212fc85f3fa3f5828e3b5608ddfeb6e3.jpegIMG_1735.thumb.jpeg.aaf70cc6b267254e704761c34d87d93a.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
Skywagon

Could be a wrinkle for me.  Hurricane Beryl is headed to the Gulf.  The forecasts are mixed.  Some say it will stay Northern Mexico and some say starting to head towards South Texas Coast as far north as...guess what....where my property/boat is.  It is supposed to hit Sunday @   2pm.  My plans right now are to keep a close eye on Beryl and head for Arkansas Sunday as planned.  The wrinkle is, my insurance clearly states if a hurricane is forecasted to hit you and you don't batten down the hatches and move the boat out of harms way, your coverage doesn't apply.  Battening down the hatches and moving the boat 100 miles inland is no small chore.  I'll take an educated guess sometime Thursday and at the latest Friday.  If they order evacuation it is a real nightmare to get in and then get back out.

The latest 2-forecast...One says life is good and one says I'm going to be cleaning up a mess again.  Ike, Harvey, now Beryl.  Do  they RT Floats?

https://youtu.be/bPsZzrXCsPA?t=378

• Sad 1
Dennis Andress

We could have a hurricane party on your boat…

MikeB60
26 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Could be a wrinkle for me.  Hurricane Beryl is headed to the Gulf.  The forecasts are mixed.  Some say it will stay Northern Mexico and some say starting to head towards South Texas Coast as far north as...guess what....where my property/boat is.  It is supposed to hit Sunday @   2pm.  My plans right now are to keep a close eye on Beryl and head for Arkansas Sunday as planned.  The wrinkle is, my insurance clearly states if a hurricane is forecasted to hit you and you don't batten down the hatches and move the boat out of harms way, your coverage doesn't apply.  Battening down the hatches and moving the boat 100 miles inland is no small chore.  I'll take an educated guess sometime Thursday and at the latest Friday.  If they order evacuation it is a real nightmare to get in and then get back out.

Dave, I was wondering if that thing was going to cause you problems. Hopefully it's a non issue. 

• Plus 1 2
Skywagon

Just edited my post to put in the most informative wx possible.  Real scientist not local TV.

• Like 1
Dennis Andress
3 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

Just edited my post to put in the most informative wx possible.  Real scientist not local TV.

Depending on which forecast model you use, Windy.com says Texas is going to get wet. Where would you move the boat to?

image.png

Skywagon

Hey Dennis...I know you know Texas so here is by city and a little map for refresher.  Boat is in Port Aransas....bottom of map by Corpus Christi.  I'm in Bellaire map near Houston.  I would bring in to Houston as don't think the storm would impact Houston.  If that were to change I would take it to property in Buffalo Texas...top of map.

map.jpg