IGNORED

Windshield not retracting when power turned off

Jimmers

Jimmers

2017 R1200 RT here.  (40,000 miles)  I got a caution light (yellow) and my windshield stopped retracting or resetting automatically.  I can still move the it up and down with the bar switch.

Has anyone had this type of malfunction.  I plan to hook up the diagnostic tool to see if it threw any codes and will proceed with a troubleshoot from there.  Hope it's a simple fix.

Give this a try.  With the bike running.  Run the windshield all the way down.  Then all the way up.  Then all the way down.  Then set the shield to the position you'd like it to be when riding, and shut the bike off.

Hopefully cycling the shield up and down resets the positional information and it starts working again.

• Like 1
Jimmers

@92Merc Your suggestion kinda worked...let me explain.  I did as you suggested and when I shut off the power the windshield went down.  Thought it was fixed, however when I turned on the power again the windshield stayed down and did not relocate to the prior up position.  I had to reset it again with the bar switch.  And...it went back down when the power was turned off.

It was nice to have it relocate to the previous position when powered back up, but that part isn't working.  At least it goes down when the bike is shutdown.

I know it sounds like I'm being picky, but I would just like it to work properly.  When I first bought it the windshield would go down when the power was shut off and return to previous position when powered back up.

Thank you for your help and it looks like I might be able to solve this puzzle eventually!

Jimmers

Jimmers

@92Merc  FOLLOW UP on windshield malfunction!!

Your suggestion WORKED!!!  What I didn't realize is the windshield doesn't go back to the previous set position until you start moving.  As soon as I started for a ride the windshield went right back to the previous setting.

Thank you...you're a genius!!  I haven't been into BMW's for years and am glad I'm back.  The R1200 RT is an amazing machine!  I just have a LOT to catch up on.

Thanks again for the help!  It is greatly appreciated!

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Jimmers said:

@92Merc   As soon as I started for a ride the windshield went right back to the previous setting.

Thank you...you're a genius!!

Sorry, i forgot to mention that part.  I dunno about the genius part.  I just have a good memory and can regurgitate it when needed.  :-)

Glad to help.

• Smile 1
BABABeemer

I wonder if there is a way to shut off the bike and have the windshield stay in its last position? It would make cleaning the windshield much easier.

18 hours ago, BABABeemer said:

I wonder if there is a way to shut off the bike and have the windshield stay in its last position? It would make cleaning the windshield much easier.

Kill switch.....:java:

• Thanks 1