IGNORED

2024 Fall Appalichian Riding Tour (FART) Sept. 25-29 Natural Bridge, VA Hotel Registration Info

Indy Dave

Indy Dave

I hope they'll still have us for dinner (meal details later today)

feelingsexyrightnow.thumb.jpg.6bd51b8ca7b6dc59a8cd1dc238402f0a.jpg

• Haha 7

Sorry we will miss your presence but family is important, Christine and I are gonna pray for a good outcome for your Pop!

• Like 2
Indy Dave
On 8/21/2024 at 10:12 PM, BruinsFan said:

Well I dang sure been dreading having to make this decision but its time I reckon. Due to my Pop having some heart issues, I've decided it be best to cancel my FART'ing activities this year. His heart Doc said it was too risky to install anymore stints, so this Friday he'll have a meeting to discuss and plan ECP Therapy. Lord willin, I'll be able to see errbody in April next year. 

We will miss you, please know we're all pulling for you and your Dad!

As of Aug 23 (Added @Wristy Rich to #32)

whosgoingaug23fart2024sm.thumb.jpg.b5a6c3c4cf830ec81ccd327a8936a6d5.jpg

• Like 2
Indy Dave

Here's Fridays Group Meal info and  sign up info:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Indy Dave

We're still building our FART . . . There's still room for you, too! PM me for a room - our block is filled and closed. But :whistle: . . . I know a back way in :90:

whosgoingaug262024sm.thumb.jpg.593b438d39a036617a5c5a71fdaa4eee.jpg

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Hmmmmm, a back way in will surely result in a FART :4323:

In Jersey that’s called “I know a guy” 😎

• Like 1
  • Smile 1

Thank you Dave and Team! Deposit paid for room. 

Best Regards,

Rich Vaillancourt (Spey) (not cause I am a veterinarian, Loch Spey in the Scottish Highlands, the source of the best whisky water )

• Like 1
Motorhead1977

Well, we (Matt V, Motorhead 1977 & Amy) couldn't stand the waiting for FART so I just upped our arrival date by one day to Saturday 9/21.  Woot Woot Woot!

• Like 2
bluenoserswife
19 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Well, we (Matt V, Motorhead 1977 & Amy) couldn't stand the waiting for FART so I just upped our arrival date by one day to Saturday 9/21.  Woot Woot Woot!

Now, I feel we are arriving late to the party.  Derrick and I may need to reconsider our priorities.

• Like 2
Motorhead1977
10 minutes ago, bluenoserswife said:

Now, I feel we are arriving late to the party.  Derrick and I may need to reconsider our priorities.

Not to worry, as I get older and older it just takes me longer to rest up from the drive and be ready to ride, even thought it's only 8 hours to Natural Bridge for us. :4617:  Plus I have some maintenance/tire/wheel changing to get accomplished while we're there which takes away from riding time.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
Boxflyer
21 minutes ago, Motorhead1977 said:

Not to worry, as I get older and older it just takes me longer to rest up from the drive and be ready to ride, even thought it's only 8 hours to Natural Bridge for us. :4617:  Plus I have some maintenance/tire/wheel changing to get accomplished while we're there which takes away from riding time.

@Motorhead1977 Hi Tom, I'm going to be arriving on Sat eve as well.  I hope to be able to swap out your new tires mounted to your new rims with new TPMS on Sunday AM while we are setting up the maintenance area.  

This will give you the entire week to scuff in the rubber and enjoy the thrill of something NEW!

I'm adding you to the my schedule. https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/109649-boxflyer-tools-and-service-in-natural-bridge-va-check-here-for-service-scheduling-or-questions/#comment-1180495

Brad

Edited by Boxflyer
Linky
  • Like 5
Motorhead1977

Brad, Awesome and per usual I expect we can assist some with your setup on Sunday.  Seems I've gotten somewhat proficient at banner hanging. :thumbsup:

• Like 1
BerettaRacer

General plan for me is to tow to Suches Ga. around the 19th-20th and unload the bike there. Then about a 4 day cruise on the bike up thru Bryson City/Parkway/Little Switzerland etc to get to FART. Similar on return. Casual riding, time allowed for weather, and/or side trips. So all up will be about a 12 day +/- ride.

The mighty K12 "Black Betty" has brand new Dunlops and fresh oil change, she should be good to go.

• Like 2
Indy Dave

Well, even though I've logged a truly pitiful number of miles since START :classic_mellow: (I'm not sure one can even apply the term logged in my case) - I've just just done a complete front and rear Boxflyer®  brake service, installed my rebuilt Wilbers rear shock and given the ole gal a once over and brushed away the spiderwebs . I'll get out and do some parking lot exercises this weekend and practice panic braking. Might not hurt if you brushed up on your skills and looked over you bike NOW? :old:

Practice makes perfect - it's always best to Be Prepared!    scoutsalute.jpg.08af3323544ff3011dfe3a8a5b4a9f1d.jpg

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Indy Dave said:

do some parking lot exercises this weekend and practice panic braking

As we all should prior to FART.....:thumbsup: 

• Like 2
Motorhead1977

Yes indeed. It's always best to be prepared. My judo sensei (who was also a women's judo Olympic coach) always said, "Practice doesn't make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect" and right he was. I routinely practice my skills and also try to treat every ride as a skills practice session.

• Like 2
BamaJohn
4 hours ago, Motorhead1977 said:

"Practice doesn't make perfect, only perfect practice makes perfect"

Precisely why I don't practice golf....it only enforces my poor swing. :4617:

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Haha 4
F16Viper68

I'm going through my RT with a fine tooth comb prior to ART 2024.  The previous owner had NO clue how to work on bikes but was under no such illusion.  I've lost track of missing screws and clips I've had to replace.  The wiring was something to behold (see below).  Taking this time to perform a 12k service, replace front/rear brake pads, upgrade the cam tensioner, and upgrade my low/high beam lights to Cyclops LEDs.  

i-fjkxhgW-L.jpg

A sample of the wiring I found when I disassembled the tail.  I found a similar situation up front.  

i-rpxXf4k-L.jpg

Needless to say, it's been addressed.  I'll be wrapping the wiring later.

i-ZphL5G7-L.jpg

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
Motorhead1977

Dave, I feel your pain.  We had a similar experience with our house (built 1940's post WW 2).  A prior owner should have been permanently banned from buying anything other than light bulbs or mouse traps in any "home improvement store"! ..... Need a couple wall outlets in the kitchen?????  Just add them in series to an existing outlet!  What could possibly go wrong with doing it that way? :5146:

• Confused 2
2 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

I'm going through my RT with a fine tooth comb prior to ART 2024.  The previous owner had NO clue how to work on bikes but was under no such illusion.  I've lost track of missing screws and clips I've had to replace.  The wiring was something to behold (see below).  Taking this time to perform a 12k service, replace front/rear brake pads, upgrade the cam tensioner, and upgrade my low/high beam lights to Cyclops LEDs.  

i-fjkxhgW-L.jpg

A sample of the wiring I found when I disassembled the tail.  I found a similar situation up front.  

i-rpxXf4k-L.jpg

Needless to say, it's been addressed.  I'll be wrapping the wiring later.

i-ZphL5G7-L.jpg

Looks like the former owner learned his working technique in North Alabama. That looks like the boiler I just had to rewire last weekend. I think I removed over 20 wire nuts and all sorts of short jumper wires to stream line the control circuit. My father’s brother-in-law  Johnny had a saying: 2 wire Hookin Up - 3 wire F**kin Up! I think he was referring to the Alabama wire code for commercial systems. I do think that a ground wire is something completely new to those country folks over de under! :4323:

• Haha 4
BerettaRacer
2 hours ago, F16Viper68 said:

The previous owner had NO clue how to work on bikes but was under no such illusion.  I've lost track of missing screws and clips I've had to replace.  The wiring was something to behold (see below).  Taking this time to perform a .... service, replace front/rear brake pads,

I'm finding myself in the exact same boat.

I bought low mileage, 2016 K1300S last week, the more I look at and the more I touch, the more I find wrong.

PO did not have a clue.

Screws and clips missing everywhere, wiring hacked, yada, yada, yada.

Same as you, I'll be doing a service, brake pads and fluid flush, clutch fluid flush, coolant flush etc etc.

Looks like a full winter project.

• Like 1
F16Viper68
1 hour ago, BerettaRacer said:

I'm finding myself in the exact same boat.

I bought low mileage, 2016 K1300S last week, the more I look at and the more I touch, the more I find wrong.

PO did not have a clue.

Screws and clips missing everywhere, wiring hacked, yada, yada, yada.

Same as you, I'll be doing a service, brake pads and fluid flush, clutch fluid flush, coolant flush etc etc.

Looks like a full winter project.

I took the bike apart a few weeks ago to address all of the wiring issues and counted six or seven screws missing and two clips.  So I ordered a bunch of different screws from BMW (e.g., high shoulder, short shoulder, no shoulder, and clips).  Today I ran out of the low shoulder screws because when I took it apart to the 12k maintenance and cyclops headlights I found many more missing!  The good thing is I've taken the bike apart further than the previous owner so I've been able to correct all of his mistakes.  

My favorite find was discovering the left junk engine guard was pushed into the oil filter.  :)

Dave...

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1
John Ranalletta
19 hours ago, duckhawk64 said:

Oh my God!! Wire nuts?????

Wise decision to fine tooth comb it. 

Yes, but they're the best wire nuts Wal-Mart had in stock.

• Smile 1
  • Haha 4
PapaBreau

Hello Dave,

My wife and I and my brother have signed up for the meal on Friday night. We are not staying at the hotel but are camping nearby at the local KOA. Do we have to do anything to formally register?

PapaBreau, Mama Breau and 1Badfrog.

Thanks,

Paul

• Like 2
Indy Dave
7 minutes ago, PapaBreau said:

Hello Dave,

....Do we have tov register?..

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, Happy to have all of you joining us. I have you down for dinner, and just letting us know here that you're coming is all that's needed. Please consider yourself registered and we look forward to seeing you.

Thanks so much did letting us know.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, PapaBreau said:

Hello Dave,

My wife and I and my brother have signed up for the meal on Friday night. We are not staying at the hotel but are camping nearby at the local KOA. Do we have to do anything to formally register?

PapaBreau, Mama Breau and 1Badfrog.

Thanks,

Paul

We are also at the koa and @tjsven is too.

This week I will try to take my bike out for the new knee break in period. I have not ridden since the first week of June. Flexibility and strength are coming along nicely. The only thing is, I don't think the machining tolerances are up to Brad's standards. If he hears my knee clunking, I think he will figure a way to get a grease zerk on it :3:

Wish me luck!

Alan

• Like 5
  • Smile 2
41 minutes ago, Foot said:

This week I will try to take my bike out for the new knee break in period. I have not ridden since the first week of June. Flexibility and strength are coming along nicely. The only thing is, I don't think the machining tolerances are up to Brad's standards. If he hears my knee clunking, I think he will figure a way to get a grease zerk on it :3:

Wish me luck!

Alan

I would get an appointment with Brad ASAP as I am pretty he has a video on his process for a break-in service and a 12K service on Knees.  That way you will have a "leg up" on others wanting an appointment and it's what you "knee-d" anyway.  He usually does in a local "joint" but in this case he can "step outside" the norm.  
:19:

• Haha 1

Only three weeks until Fart arrival. Looking to meeting everyone, good riding and making new friends. 

• Like 5
Indy Dave
3 hours ago, Foot said:

....The only thing is, I don't think the machining tolerances are up to Brad's standards. If he hears my knee clunking, I think he will figure a way to get a grease zerk on it :3:

Wish me luck!

Alan

Might not be a laughing matter by the time he finishes - he could have you fitted with all new hardware. I'm certainly not concerned about the hardware, I'm just not sure he suited for the associated discomfort involved in swapping out parts. I'm pretty sure he knows how to glue up the skin seams, so no need to worry about his stitching skills.

Also... Keep an eye on any boots you may have, because Lord knows he's very adept at creating holes in those.

• Like 3
TN_R_Girl

Well.... the Universe has conspired to prevent me from making two events in the same calendar year....

Due to unforeseen clumsiness on my part, leading to the breakage of my clutch wrist I'm going to miss out on the festivities this Fall.  :cry:

Am sorry I'll be missing the chance to see so many of you.  

Shannon

• Sad 11
  • Indy Dave unfeatured this topic
Indy Dave
On 9/3/2024 at 1:32 PM, TN_R_Girl said:

Well.... the Universe has conspired to prevent me from making two events in the same calendar year....

Due to unforeseen clumsiness on my part, leading to the breakage of my clutch wrist I'm going to miss out on the festivities this Fall.  :cry:

Shannon

Very sorry to learn of this, Shannon! OUCH!! Hope your healing TLC goes well . .  and just think how rested up you'll be for BOTH Art's next year!! :5147:

• Like 3
On 9/3/2024 at 1:32 PM, TN_R_Girl said:

Shannon

Shannon …. Hope you heal quickly and are back riding again soon!  We’ll miss you in Natural Bridge!

bluenoserswife
2 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

@bluenoserswife

We're expecting this in Natural Bridge.

It's Ally the Piper!!!  She's great.  She also has a specially pitched chanter on her pipes so she can play the notes in Freebird.  (I think she has about 5 specially pitched chanters)  The closest I am to her is that I have one of her t-shirts!  LOL

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
John Ranalletta
10 minutes ago, bluenoserswife said:

It's Ally the Piper!!!  She's great.  She also has a specially pitched chanter on her pipes so she can play the notes in Freebird.  (I think she has about 5 specially pitched chanters)  The closest I am to her is that I have one of her t-shirts!  LOL

Bring what you got.  We love it!

• Smile 1
bluenoserswife
6 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Bring what you got.  We love it!

Thanks very much!  Unfortunately, I am just over a respiratory infection and I haven't been able to play my pipes for about a month, so the pipes will stay at home while I build up my stamina on my chanter (and listening to technique exercises [as Derrick can attest] aren't nearly so interesting as tunes played on the pipes).🤪

• Like 2