IGNORED

Polycarbonate windshield modification

andydavis

andydavis

I am cleaning up the garage and advertized an oversized Vstream touring windshield on the local CL for $30 (no bites) https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mpo/d/albany-vstream-large-touring-screen-for/7757455355.html

I think this windshield was designed mostly for the comfort of the passenger; however, it is worse at high speeds for a solo rider.  Since it seems to have no value, I am tempted to cut it down to a more reasonable size.  The screen is polycarbonate, which is made clear by covering with a thin film (I know from previous failure). I hesitate to f'ck it up just as an experiment.  I have the correct blade for my jigsaw and believe I can successfully polish the cut edge, but I would be willing to follow more sage advice from the forum.

John Ranalletta

I shortened a windscreen years ago.   Apply tape to the surface to prevent the base from scratching the surface.  Draw your cut line on the tape and cut with a super fine blade.  Use a sponge sanding block wrapped with progressively fine sand paper grits up to a 2500 polishing grit. 

Worked for me. Good luck. Post pictures. 

andydavis

thanks, but moot point now...a guy from Oakland on a 2009 RT just picked it up.