IGNORED

Nova Scotia 2024

greiffster

greiffster

Nicol and I are headed out on our next summer ride.  Tomorrow morning to be precise.  This time to Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail.  After a successful trip to Alaska last year, she decided she likes the Spider enough to keep it for a while.  I traded in the '08 GSA and got a '14 GS.  Maintenance is up to date on both along with new tires.  We should be ready to go?  We went to Alaska, so we're pros right?

IMG_7506.thumb.jpg.6753019774c8e48249865a400b863756.jpg

We're riding from the house this time around instead of trailering the first part like Alaska.  It looks to be a total of around 4000ish miles.  We're thinking about 18 days.  I've got the first part planned out until we get to the ferry in Saint John, NB on the 25th.  We're going to wing it after that.  Here's the general route...

NovaScotia.thumb.jpg.1c541ec20167c06c673225ca3899fc6a.jpg

• Like 14
Indy Dave

Really enjoyed your trip to Alaska and back, following and subscribed. Enjoy and safe travels!

• Plus 1 3
RandyShields
3 hours ago, greiffster said:

Nicol and I are headed out on our next summer ride.  Tomorrow morning to be precise.  This time to Nova Scotia and the Cabot Trail. 

Jealous!  Been thinking about this ride for a while, but the western and great lakes trips got in the way.  Have fun, be safe and post frequently.

• Like 1
John Ranalletta

Drove from Quebec City via interstate highways in NY to NJ.   Saw more state trooper activity there than the rest of the trip.  Travel well.

• Like 1
greiffster
2 hours ago, RandyShields said:

Jealous!  Been thinking about this ride for a while, but the western and great lakes trips got in the way.  Have fun, be safe and post frequently.

We have fond memories of our Superior Circle Tour.  We're probably going to do it again.  The weather was fantastic in June

I am very interested in following this, since my long term 'plans' include PEI and Nova Scotia next summer.  This summer Alaska trip won and now on my way back (very slowly).    Thinking of routes/ferry rides and I've heard accommodations need to be made well in advance.  

So, please, lots of posts.   I'm in

• Like 2
Indy Scott

Did a similar run two summers ago returning via the Labrador highway.   Get “screeched in” in St.  John’s - book ahead.  https://www.internationaltraveller.com/north-america/canada/newfoundland-and-labrador/100-kiss-the-cod-in-newfoundland/.      https://maps.app.goo.gl/XdTZHdvRV9Ph6JkU8?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

image.thumb.jpeg.0272567014bbd5f20c78dcb1845bc3a8.jpeg

west coast and Gros Morne National park not to be missed 

• Like 4

Ditto to what others have said, Nova Scotia and Cabot Trail is a great trip. Did it with my Canadian buddies in 2019 

Enjoy the miles of smiles 

• Like 1
greiffster
3 hours ago, DBULL said:

I am very interested in following this, since my long term 'plans' include PEI and Nova Scotia next summer.  This summer Alaska trip won and now on my way back (very slowly).    Thinking of routes/ferry rides and I've heard accommodations need to be made well in advance.  

So, please, lots of posts.   I'm in

So far, accommodations have been easy.   We've got stuff booked through the ferry and into Yarmouth.  Halifax seems to have tons of rooms available.  I've heard later in the season July-Sept are busier.  I find it hard to book stuff more than about a week on a schedule as it just doesn't seem to work out.   

• Like 2
greiffster
2 hours ago, Indy Scott said:

Did a similar run two summers ago returning via the Labrador highway.   Get “screeched in” in St.  John’s - book ahead.  https://www.internationaltraveller.com/north-america/canada/newfoundland-and-labrador/100-kiss-the-cod-in-newfoundland/.      https://maps.app.goo.gl/XdTZHdvRV9Ph6JkU8?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

Unfortunately, we're not going to make it to Newfoundland and Labrador.  I'd like too, but don't have that kind of time.  The job thing is cramping my style.

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
Indy Scott

Excuse my confusion, so many ferry’s, so little time LOL.  The bridge over to PEI is free going into PEI but an $80 toll coming home! Don’t remember  the ferry price back to NS -  may be similar.  They always get you.   That bridge is the eighth one of the world. It is freaking huge and amazing.

• Like 1
greiffster

Wow didn’t know there was a toll. That’s a big toll. 

greiffster

Made it to Big Stone Gap, VA for the night. I bit warm this afternoon but a nice ride. Found a brewery. Beer and Coddiwomple points. IMG_7520.thumb.jpeg.8a1889f063e520e5bb873f3137edd87d.jpegIMG_7519.thumb.jpeg.7fd77721ff1cf8464d7b724c91a28432.jpeg

• Like 6

I didn’t recall tolls on Confederation Bridge being that high so I checked…. Today motorcycles pay $20.   I think it was about $18 back in 2019 when I crossed.

IMG_2359.thumb.png.a9229612858b280369463c1994ac48b9.png

• Like 2
marcopolo

IndyScott pays a surcharge because they know that he knows IndyDave (I told them this last summer at the bridge).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
marcopolo

By the way, since you rode to Alaska last summer, you obviously know that at most (all?) gas stations in Canada, you'll need to know your PIN in order to use a credit card.  Unlike in the U.S., most retailers, but not all, will require you to input your PIN to complete a CC transaction.  Since a PIN is not needed nearly as often in the U.S., a lot of my American friends don't know theirs.

• Like 2
greiffster
19 hours ago, marcopolo said:

By the way, since you rode to Alaska last summer, you obviously know that at most (all?) gas stations in Canada, you'll need to know your PIN in order to use a credit card.  Unlike in the U.S., most retailers, but not all, will require you to input your PIN to complete a CC transaction.  Since a PIN is not needed nearly as often in the U.S., a lot of my American friends don't know theirs.

Mmm.  I don’t remember having to do that.  And we went to plenty of gas stations in Canada. I think we went to all of them, actually. lol. 

• Like 2
marcopolo

I’d say better to be prepared to do the PIN thing, and not have to, than find out

you need it, and don’t have it. 

I was in Nova Scotia, and PEI, last summer, and I’m pretty sure that, like here in Ontario, I had to enter my PIN, though it’s possible I’m misremembering. 

18 minutes ago, marcopolo said:

I’d say better to be prepared to do the PIN thing, and not have to, than find out

you need it, and don’t have it. 

I was in Nova Scotia, and PEI, last summer, and I’m pretty sure that, like here in Ontario, I had to enter my PIN, though it’s possible I’m misremembering. 

zip codes down here at random stations. :dontknow: Just be careful up there, most of the stations screw you on the amount of fuel they give you per gallon. :read: 

• Haha 1
John Ranalletta
5 hours ago, greiffster said:

Mmm.  I don’t remember having to do that.  And we went to plenty of gas stations in Canada. I think we went to all of them, actually. lol. 

Just recently in CA and was never asked for pin or zip; however, at the first, Canada Petro, a C$250 hold was placed on my Visa.  Later that day, it was reversed and the actual purchase charged.  At another station, the screen asked me to choose how much I wanted to spend, showing a selection of purchase amounts.  I assume if I choose an amount that exceeded my purchase, the transaction would be reconciled later in the day.  As it was, I choose C$20, not enough to fill my tank but enough to get us well across the border.

• Like 2

I just returned from a 14 day trip to Europe and at a gas station in Austria, the pump would not accept my credit cards, until I used one that I had a pin setup for.

Later that week at one of the hotels we stayed at, they also asked for a pin instead of a signature on the invoice.

The last explained to us that around a year ago most systems changed to a pin instead of a signature, since it is very easy to use a fraudulent signature.

If @marcopolosays it is a good idea to setup a pin for your credit card, I would follow his advice, he lives in Canada.

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
marcopolo

At many retailers here in Ottawa, not just gas stations, you will be required to enter a PIN, when using a credit card. 

And, as John said, at most gas stations, a hold of $250 will be placed on your card (some allow you to choose a smaller amount), that will be immediately credited to your CC account, after you’re done, and then a charge for the amount actually pumped. For me, using a Canadian CC, it’s immediately after I’ve finished. Maybe it takes longer with a foreign CC. 

wbw6cos

Hey Mark, perhaps it would be easier for them if you just let them use your Canadian credit card.  They are good for it, I am sure.    :burnout:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Bluenoser

Most stations in Canada now have the tap option, no pin required. Out in the boonies tap may not be available, no pin, no pay, you'll be working it off! Its the same at restaurants and hotels. Best to setup a pin. Downside, when I'm in USA, in some cases when I don't tap, my pin is required for the card there as well. 

greiffster

So we've been making our way northeast.  Yesterday we dodged most of the heat staying at elevation on the BRP as we headed into Charlestown, VA in the afternoon.  Our daughter and fiance just moved there to make beer and wine, so we planned a visit.

IMG_7525.thumb.jpg.c14ed5384d9ef383f116585738c34b9f.jpg

IMG_7529.thumb.jpg.8ecb40b6b69b5e9ea3a33173d5b7635f.jpg

IMG_7530.thumb.jpg.c045cbd2aae761b8dbd781404ad36dba.jpg

IMG_7532.thumb.jpg.8642350f7c873e9e295ceabe9b68068d.jpg

• Like 7
greiffster

Today was frickin' hot.  We left our daughters place and shot up Skyline Drive.  Neither Nicol or had ever been in the park before and the temperature up on the ridge was perfect.  The only downside is the 35 mph speed limit which we were sure to follow.  :bike:

Then we came down the ridge and got into Pennsylvania.  We were showing mid to upper 90s on the bike gauges in the afternoon.  We did get to stop at Gettysburg and the museum to cool off, but I was basically this kid......

We made it to Pottsville, but not in time to take the tour...but we managed to find some.IMG_7536.thumb.jpg.7db20b590719e7f43a99fcb5268d4d3d.jpg

IMG_7541.thumb.jpg.fa57a3d25e33f27cdbb8b09ffd6f1549.jpg

• Like 9
greiffster

It’s not my fault my kids are into making alcohol. I have to support their endeavors. :beer:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
BamaJohn
8 hours ago, greiffster said:

Today was frickin' hot.  We left our daughters place and shot up Skyline Drive.  Neither Nicol or had ever been in the park before and the temperature up on the ridge was perfect.  The only downside is the 35 mph speed limit which we were sure to follow.  :bike:

Then we came down the ridge and got into Pennsylvania.  We were showing mid to upper 90s on the bike gauges in the afternoon.  We did get to stop at Gettysburg and the museum to cool off, but I was basically this kid......

We made it to Pottsville, but not in time to take the tour...but we managed to find some.IMG_7536.thumb.jpg.7db20b590719e7f43a99fcb5268d4d3d.jpg

IMG_7541.thumb.jpg.fa57a3d25e33f27cdbb8b09ffd6f1549.jpg

I LOVE that photo of Nicol chillin' on her Spyder!  Liking your ride reports too, thanks!

• Like 4
Indy Dave
32 minutes ago, greiffster said:

It’s not my fault my kids are into making alcohol. I have to support their endeavors. :beer:

Hang on a second there, Professor :old: ...... You're the Original ART Home Distiller. :whistle:   Might could be they feel obligated to supply your ravenous thirst  :shake:

Anyway  @EricInIndy shares in your pain, as he's spent many-a-late-night taste-testing in the name of science (and all good things) with distiller daughter & Son in law.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1
  • Indy Dave featured this topic
Dennis Andress
55 minutes ago, greiffster said:

Life is all about other people’s children. 

• Like 2
  • Plus 1 1
greiffster

Clemson Brewery in New Paltz for lunch. Not my fault, Nicol wanted to stop. :4322:
IMG_7545.thumb.jpeg.5e03cf2b9c8c46f99317982b87f4144a.jpeg

• Like 4

Haha, our ride tales almost collided. I was passing through Red Hook NY right around lunch time! :spittake:

• Like 2

Definitely following for the pure enjoyment, but also for doing a similar trip sometime in the future. 

Looks like you guys are having a blast. 

• Like 2
Chef Paul

When your on Cape Breton you may want to check this place out!

Fortress of Louisbourg National Historic Site

• Like 2
greiffster

The heat continued for us as we made our way through New York.  We stopped at the FDR Home and Vanderbilt in Hyde Park.  Its about 95 degrees in this picture.

Vanderbilt.thumb.JPG.802240f7835876bc049f3b6bd0d9e662.JPG

Once we got out of New York and into CT and then MA, things cooled off.  And then in New Hampshire, it got chilly (mid 60s) with overcast and some thin fog.  We did find some of this in New Hampshire...Tasty, but maybe a bit sweet for my liking.

Sapling.thumb.jpg.42faef3c046c2351a5b91a75ec8df2d4.jpg

Yesterday we made it to Bar Harbor and Acadia.  Nicol had been through the park before so we we just stayed in town and ate/drank.  Shout out to this place, the Island Place.  Reasonably priced and super clean.  The owner and her husband have a R100.  

Island.thumb.jpg.8bcdf22b980b06b67f9c890429df7902.jpg

Today, we're on our way to Saint John, NB so that we can pick up the ferry to Nova Scotia in the morning.  We stopped in Campobello Island and the Roosevelt Summer house.  We tried to see the Harbor Head Light Station but it was socked in with fog.  In fact, we've been in a light fog since New Hampshire, some 600+ miles.  Nothing we can't drive through, but we can't see shit off the coast.

Campobello.thumb.JPG.dcba51fa5fd95b1b226a68efc3571176.JPG

RooseveltCamp.thumb.JPG.bacb32081fbfe805116faa5b512189cd.JPG

MulhollandPoint.thumb.jpg.afac64491d3c77d9abba4dbdc20b0f56.jpg

• Like 13
Indy Dave

Mik and Nicol (see what I did there?) - Thanks again for sharing your trip with us, great pics and narrative. Looking ahead for your video(s) along with your excellent music selections! 

• Like 2
  • Smile 1
greiffster

Saint John was still foggy with this crappy shot of the harbor from downtown.

IMG_7576Large.thumb.jpeg.54a1aced7fdaf2670c5c1d9a8009b050.jpeg

But we did manage do find a couple Moosehead and watched Game 7 and the Vols win the World Series. 

IMG_4293Large.thumb.jpeg.e6bef6227b73a5c84c3e5d4d7de9037f.jpeg

The morning ferry across to Digby, NS was also foggy. But, it finally started to lift after about 3 days.  We stopped at Dockside for some scallops after getting off the boat.  Digby claims to be the scallop capitol of the world.  They were pretty damn good.

IMG_7579Large.thumb.jpeg.37d5f73c51019c61002d3d9ddcd8888e.jpeg

IMG_7581Large.thumb.jpeg.9e72124663fa207da8e88c5bc932cc25.jpeg

IMG_7586Large.thumb.jpeg.b740c20abdff888caad548029f7e1c53.jpeg

IMG_7592Large.thumb.jpeg.c77fd83fc3a777a50bf5de1895e3eba1.jpeg

IMG_7594Large.thumb.jpeg.c30af6719a170423278df2ff04b7ff1e.jpeg

Then it was down the coast to Yarmouth to see some lighthouses.

IMG_7596Large.thumb.jpeg.f3c18b54d6d26796a0d6558239b4eba9.jpeg

IMG_7601Large.thumb.jpeg.bf3c1cad8974f8993157424e13d02f40.jpeg

IMG_7613Large.thumb.jpeg.a4843a6c80e71d7c898f2df9131176be.jpeg

IMG_7620Large.thumb.jpeg.89beac85614023336cd0db3cb156b6c5.jpeg

IMG_4310Large.thumb.jpeg.e7ed87547a83c9f38093044a43818b0b.jpeg

• Like 12
BamaJohn

The Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world, and those enormous tides alone make that the Bay of Fundy is one of the world’s greatest natural wonders.

The height of the tide difference ranges from 3.5 meters (11ft) along the southwest shore of Nova Scotia and steadily increases as the flood waters travel up the 280 km (174 miles) of shoreline to the head of the Bay where, in the Minas Basin, the height of the tide can reach an incredible 16 meters (53ft).

The force created by these mighty waters is equal to 8000 locomotives or 25 million horses at the Minas Channel. The immense energy of the tides stir up nutrients from the ocean floor, the mud flats and salt water marshes, providing an abundance of food for the birds, whales, fish and bottom dwellers that visit or call Fundy home.

• Like 4
greiffster
2 hours ago, BamaJohn said:

The Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world, and those enormous tides alone make that the Bay of Fundy is one of the world’s greatest natural wonders.

It really is pretty incredible. We tried to make it to the Head Harbor Lighthouse on Campobello. But, you can only get to it when the tide is low. It probably had 5 feet on it when we got there and it wasn’t even close to high tide. 

• Like 2
greiffster
On 6/25/2024 at 12:14 PM, Indy Dave said:

Mik and Nicol (see what I did there?) - Thanks again for sharing your trip with us, great pics and narrative. Looking ahead for your video(s) along with your excellent music selections! 

Supposedly her dad was being “French” when he dropped the “e”. He’s not French. LOL. But he was 19 or 20 at the time and her mom was 18. So I think it was a stupid kid thing. 

from our Lake Superior Trip in 2019…

IMG_7638.thumb.jpeg.1be26fbf0475e598d91d693b5e721d4b.jpeg

• Like 4

I am finally able to comfortably sit at my computer. Yeah!! Seeing the the Bay of Fundy has been a bucket list of mine for a long time. When we were flying home from Desert Storm, first land mass we crossed was Nova Scotia. The bay of Fundy looked like this giant mud ring, the tide was out. I told the kid sitting next to me, hey that's the Bay of Fundy. He said where's that Russia?? I was laughing so hard I think I pee'd.

Before my knee started going south I was thinking about doing Nova Scotia this year. Well maybe next year.

Great Pics Mike!

• Like 4
greiffster

Glad to hear the knee is feeling better. 

• Plus 1 1
greiffster

The temperatures here are crazy. Riding up from Yarmouth to Halifax, we rode in and out from the coast to the inland highway 103. Temp on the highway, about 10 miles from Lunenburg, was 86. 20 minutes later we had a late lunch in Lunenberg and it was 63. Back on the highway toward Peggy’s Cove, 84.  Peggy’s Cove was 58. Try wearing the correct gear for that. IMG_7637.thumb.jpeg.c1bf1b7677426504eb4b21d1c2f59de7.jpeg

IMG_7634.thumb.jpeg.cf97793b6430acbf752ad9f574588052.jpeg

IMG_7631.thumb.jpeg.3ff6f8d7df814f6e76c93ab4fda8bd39.jpeg

IMG_7628.thumb.jpeg.7c4c85360fa232bcc0e9e68fb517673d.jpeg

IMG_7627.thumb.jpeg.e204befb054320cf1801934db2846dcd.jpeg

• Like 10