IGNORED

05 f650gs dash frozen & engine quite

SANTA

just riding along, bike quites, no dash lights, tach is stuck at 3000rpm, speedo at 40kmph.

blow fuse #2, replace fuse it blows instantly, so its a short to group,  but way is the dash gone crazy,, and how to find the short.?

help....

dirtrider
16 hours ago, SANTA said:

just riding along, bike quites, no dash lights, tach is stuck at 3000rpm, speedo at 40kmph.

blow fuse #2, replace fuse it blows instantly, so its a short to group,  but way is the dash gone crazy,, and how to find the short.?

help....

Morning SANTA

Those old F bikes are a pain to diagnose electrical issues as there are so many versions of that same basic motorcycle. 

Here is a list of what is probably on that fuse #2 circuit ___ instrument panel, clock, turn signal relay, accessory socket, diagnostic plug, load relief relay.

Depending on the EXACT model, country sold in, probably phase of the moon there could be other things as the wiring diagrams are all over the place on these older (F)  bikes.  

If anything non OEM is connected to the electrical system then start by disconnecting those then put another fuse in it & see what happens. 

so it gets worse, the signal lights are also out, and the 4way flasher doesn't work either, but these 2 are related,  so this is a canadian model,, stock with no electrical mods.no abs but has the alarm.

right now i'm tracking any connection to fuse 2 and were that can cross with all the other stuff thats out.

worst is that there are no complete wiring diagrams, lots of criptic crap from bmw, , although in may cases the canadian models are almost identical to the german ones,

i'll let you know what i find.

dirtrider
7 minutes ago, SANTA said:

so it get worse, the signal lights are also out, and the 4way flasher doesn't work either, but these 2 are related,  so this is a canadian model,, stock with no electrical mods.no abs but has the alarm.

right now i'm tracking any connection to fuse 2 and were that can cross with all the other stuff thats out.

worst is that there are no complete wiring diagrams, lots of criptic crap from bmw, , although in may cases the canadian models are almost identical to the german ones,

i'll let you know what i find.

Morning Santa

Strat with the alarm disconnect, if that isn't it then the handlebar switch assemblies would be next to try.  

You might also remove the load relief relay to see if that stops the fuse blowing, if so then you can eliminate all that is not controlled by the load relief relay. 

i disconnected the alarm system, it had a rd/ws wire , and that ended the blowing fuses,  so yes it was the alarm, i did an alarmectomy, but it required a couple of jumpers to make the signal lights work,  now just doing the reassembly.

• Like 1