IGNORED

Summer Riding Gear?

Stresspuppy

It has gotten crazy hot lately and it has almost put me off riding for a bit. Almost. So I don't park the bike for too long, I'm trying to find some good summer gear as it seems to stay hot here well into September at times. I know mesh can be a polarizing topic, so while I do want your input and opinion, I'm not trying to start a flame fest. :classic_wink:

I've seen Sedici Marco 2 (Cycle Gear house brand I think) and Klim Induction as two options. There may be others. The specs between the Sedici and Klim seem reasonably close (though Sedici has CE L2 armor, Klim has CE L1), but numbers only tell part of the story. And the Sedici is half the cost of the Klim (even bigger difference if you look at the Klim Induction Pro). What other options might I consider?

Can anyone speak to these for summer riding? I'd love to have something closer to 3 season (the Sedici does have a wind/rain liner, but doesn't help with colder weather) but most of what I have looked at seem to lean more to a Spring/Fall setup with not much ventilation. I can add layers when it gets chilly, but I can only take off so much when it is hot before getting arrested. And the bubble/cockpit that the RT creates is awesome in the colder weather but is a hinderance in the summer when you want airflow.

Thanks.

Stresspuppy...I ride in mesh gear all year round...well not quite all year as I usually park the bike July-September as 100+ days with very high humidity are killer as I age.  I've been wearing BMW AirShell II Neon Yellow for about 15 years. I would buy another one tomorrow if I could find one. I'm not sure how good it would hold up in a serious crash, but should help some.  It came with good armor in the shoulders and elbows.  I added a good back protector.  The jacket comes with a removeable liner that is wind and waterproof.  That allows me to ride down into the high 40's without getting cold.  One thing to know on these mesh jackets with a liner...like mine....The jacket itself will get very wet during a rain.  What keeps you dry is the liner.  If you don't have the liner in (summer) you will get wet.

I've been looking for a replacement from BMW, but apparently they don't make the same jacket anymore.  I went into a BMW shops in Austin and Houston in April and all they had were heavy jackets.  The other thing you can do is use a wet cooling vest. They make a bit of a mess but will definitely keep you cool.  I plan on wearing mine on the way to the UN next month.  Ten+ hours in the saddle in high temps...no bueno.  I'll be wearing my ratty BMW jacket and cooling vest....should be a site to see.

• Like 2

I wear a BMW Savanah 2 jacket and Motoport Kevlar pants. The Savanah jacket is not made any more but is fantastic in the summer. It has two vents that run the inner length of the sleeves, front, and rear chest vents. My first on lasted 10 years got lucky and found a replacement on ebay that was like new.  Motoport mesh is great but super stiff and expensive. I got a used pair of pants of ebay. 

• Like 1
  • Plus 1 1

Savannah is a great jacket, I thought it was winter gear until I used it, brrr. Still have a couple laying around. 

Roug’s picture is actually how we rode in Daytona in the 60’s, had to have those shades though.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Roug’s picture is actually how we rode in Daytona in the the 60’s, had to have those shades though.

I've ridden like that in these recent times but with a shirt on, doing some errand running on the street locally.

I think I have an Olympia mesh jacket that I use.  At the end of the work day, I walk out to the bike, remove shirt and undershirt, then put the jacket on.  Mesh pants are Olympia's as well,....I think (I don't think I could get away with removing work pants to put the mesh pants on in the parking lot).  The mesh pants are only really worn for extended rides and not my commutes.  These Olympia's I've had for prolly 8+ years.  Had a Joe Rocket mesh and that thing faded and frayed in short order.

I'd be red as a lobster in the first 10 minutes and miserable from there on out! Not to mention burning my leg on my Honda that has pipes running down the side.

The Klim seems like a good option but I'll take a look at the Olympia line up. 

With what has been mentioned not being available anymore and the current BMW offerings are quite expensive, I'm not coming across much else. The other challenge is short legs (30" inseam) so finding something that has a short option is tough. Klim Induction pants would work, but the shorts I would need are out of stock everywhere.