IGNORED

look at spark plugs

steve68

steve68

02 R1150R  approx 52K miles

So I tried (unsucessfully as of yet) to replace the alternator belt.

Also replaced the spark plugs as it has been a while.

This is what the old ones look like.   Wondering if this tells anyone anything about the air:fuel ratio.

image.jpeg

sparkplug1.jpg

Michaelr11

Other than the rusty outer part, those plugs look just right.

• Plus 1 1
duckhawk64

My 02 1150rt right cylinder was a little leaner than the left. Similar color as yours, not the chocolate brown that I prefer. I rode it. 

I replaced the alternator belt, and it was just a touch loose and would squeak a bit at take off and settle down. Better a bit too loose than too tight, for me. 

Try doing the belt again, you'll get it. It was very difficult to get mine on, had to try a couple times. 

You'll get better advice from this group soon. 

Good luck.  

Paul De

With fueling ratios for emissions and the fuel itself today, those grayish plugs look OK for color.  Electrode says it is indeed time for a change  The days of golden toast brown on the electrode insulator are no more.

Here is what NGK shows for normal condition.

image.jpeg.57e82381de4fa45ed9dc9342fe081d94.jpeg

steve68

Great.  Thanks for the reassurance.

8 hours ago, Lowndes said:

Plug looks just fine but you're washing your bike way too much.

Yeah, I  have not washed my bike in FOREVER but have done more riding in the rain than I would have liked.  Plus I don't have a garage :classic_wacko:

8 hours ago, duckhawk64 said:

My 02 1150rt right cylinder was a little leaner than the left. Similar color as yours, not the chocolate brown that I prefer. I rode it. 

I replaced the alternator belt, and it was just a touch loose and would squeak a bit at take off and settle down. Better a bit too loose than too tight, for me. 

Try doing the belt again, you'll get it. It was very difficult to get mine on, had to try a couple times. 

You'll get better advice from this group soon. 

Good luck.  

Advice on doing the belt change would be appreciated.  Not sure how to get up to the top bolt on the alternator since it is RIGHT behind the front shock/spring.

dirtrider
1 hour ago, steve68 said:

Great.  Thanks for the reassurance.

Yeah, I  have not washed my bike in FOREVER but have done more riding in the rain than I would have liked.  Plus I don't have a garage :classic_wacko:

Advice on doing the belt change would be appreciated.  Not sure how to get up to the top bolt on the alternator since it is RIGHT behind the front shock/spring.

Morning Steve

That belt change on an1150R can be a challenge.  It helps to have the motorcycle on a motorcycle lift as that gives you more (easier) options. 

At least you have the early 1150 so it uses a conventional belt as that is WAY/WAY easier to adjust the belt tension on.  

You need an array of tools to find something that will get in to that top bolt. 

First, try putting the motorcycle on it's side stand as that can sometimes swing the front strut away from the alternator slightly.

If that doesn't help you then___

I usually just unbolt the bottom of the front strut (with motorcycle on a lift & strapped down with blocking or jack under the engine so the weight is off the front wheel).

Just getting the bottom of front strut  pulled forward can help a lot. If working with motorcycle on the ground then use a strap to tie the center stand to something up front so it won't collapse while working on that motorcycle. Then add some weight to the rear of motorcycle to lift front wheel, then put some blocking under the engine to hold it there.

You can usually work around (behind) the front strut but that is a pain & in the long run usually takes more time & effort than just lifting the front &  removing the lower strut bolt. 

steve68

Thanks so much.

I can easily get to that top bolt with a wrench, but I would not be able to get in there to torque it to 20 N-M due  to the difficult access.  The other two bolts I CAN reach for torquing.  How important is the torque accuracy for those 3 bolts?  How about if I torque the lower two bolts and just tighten/snug the upper bolt?  I am able to reach the allen bolt under the LHS oil cooler to torque the belt.

Ugh, why does everything that seems like it should be a cinch  end up a production with this bike !?!?!?!?!?  :27:

dirtrider
53 minutes ago, steve68 said:

Thanks so much.

I can easily get to that top bolt with a wrench, but I would not be able to get in there to torque it to 20 N-M due  to the difficult access.  The other two bolts I CAN reach for torquing.  How important is the torque accuracy for those 3 bolts?  How about if I torque the lower two bolts and just tighten/snug the upper bolt?  I am able to reach the allen bolt under the LHS oil cooler to torque the belt.

Ugh, why does everything that seems like it should be a cinch  end up a production with this bike !?!?!?!?!?  :27:

Morning Steve

It depends on your "feel" for bolt tightness. Personally I don't torque the bolts as I have a good feel for how tight they should be. 

Check your feel on the other bolts with a Torque wrench then judge from there.  

The old standby torque of: tight enough that it won't come loose & not so tight that you break it off or strip the threads usually works just fine.

• Like 1
Paul De
3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Personally I don't torque the bolts as I have a good feel for how tight they should be.

LOL, a foot-pound calibrated wrist and elbow.  When I was wrenching for a living I was pretty close.  My brother and I would have torque by feel completions once in a while and when practiced it was surprising just how close to spot on a practiced feel can be, often well inside of +/- 10%  Brother had more wrenching experience, so I typically bought the beer after we closed up shop.

• Like 1
steve68
On 6/25/2024 at 7:52 PM, Lowndes said:

Plug looks just fine but you're washing your bike way too much.

I guess there's always a first time....

image.thumb.jpeg.5c78a93903afb34e276b0fc43a5984fc.jpeg

• Like 1
Camhead64
16 hours ago, Paul De said:

LOL, a foot-pound calibrated wrist and elbow.  When I was wrenching for a living I was pretty close.  My brother and I would have torque by feel completions once in a while and when practiced it was surprising just how close to spot on a practiced feel can be, often well inside of +/- 10%  Brother had more wrenching experience, so I typically bought the beer after we closed up shop.

My father in law (god rest his soul) was a crew chief on a PBY during WW2, he told me in training they spent days practicing bolt torquing by feel and would be checked by the instructor who had the torque wrench, you learned and passed or didn't and were shipped to the fleet. His assessment was similar to what Paul indicated, the human body is an amazing machine.

• Like 1
Lowndes
13 hours ago, steve68 said:

I guess there's always a first time....

image.thumb.jpeg.5c78a93903afb34e276b0fc43a5984fc.jpeg

Do you know what that white stuff is in bird shit??

Answer: bird shit

• Smile 1
steve68

13 minutes ago, Lowndes said:

Do you know what that white stuff is in bird shit??

Answer: bird shit

:5146:

• 3 weeks later...
steve68

I was able to get in there and change the alterantor belt and I feel like it is a good thing that I did....

image.thumb.jpeg.417075e0d0d6ca028c5893679e581386.jpeg

• Like 3