IGNORED

Where on a G650 XCountry can I find the crankshaft sensor?

TRforlife

TRforlife

I’m replacing a grinding starter on a thumper 650 and I want the wipe down the crankshaft sensor as well. I can’t seen to locate it in any of the parts fiche. Thanks!

Paul

dirtrider
9 hours ago, TRforlife said:

I’m replacing a grinding starter on a thumper 650 and I want the wipe down the crankshaft sensor as well. I can’t seen to locate it in any of the parts fiche. Thanks!

Paul

Morning Paul

The wires for the crankshaft sensor come out of the case next to the stator wires. 

TRforlife

Ok, thank you!  That gives me some direction. Thanks!  

dirtrider
2 minutes ago, TRforlife said:

Ok, thank you!  That gives me some direction. Thanks!  

Morning Paul

Here is a better look at it's location. 

FoQvJNN.jpg

TRforlife

Again, thank you!  I appreciate the followup. I don’t have a shop manual and the parts fiche just don’t give necessary detail. 

Have a good one!

Paul

TRforlife

Ok, I got the cover off and inspected the pulse generator. I measured the ohm resistance at .250 or so. What is the spec for the pulse generator?
I don’t know if that’s in the acceptable range or not. 

thanks,

Paul

Camhead64

Curious why you would think the sensor is bad and in need of testing?

dirtrider
8 hours ago, TRforlife said:

Ok, I got the cover off and inspected the pulse generator. I measured the ohm resistance at .250 or so. What is the spec for the pulse generator?
I don’t know if that’s in the acceptable range or not. 

thanks,

Paul

Morning Paul

I don't have the exact BMW specs on that sensor handy (usually on the 650 bikes  somewhere between 200 & 300 ohms is good to go).  

If it starts & runs and doesn't faulter at higher RPM's and/or a GS-911 doesn't show a "speed sensor (rpm), signal implausible"  ignition fault then your sensor is probably good. 

TRforlife

So, I got this bike from a storage auction. It unfortunately was abused and has not run in quite some time. So, now trying to get it fired up and it doesn’t want to start. The starter appears to be bad as it pops in and out of gear while engaging it. I bought the Motoscan cable and down loaded the app to try to get some clues and the code said something about a crank sensor. Thinking that maybe the starter gear metal may have corrupted the pulse generator magnet and the signal. But that looks clean. That’s why I was testing it. 

TRforlife

Obviously, there a a few reasons why a bike won’t start so I’m trying to check off the boxes. Unfortunately, the previous idiot, I mean owner, punched out the ignition switch and the gas cap. I suspect he lost the key. So, I am also trying to figure out a gas cap mechanism. I have the outside cover but all the green plastic on the inside is gone. Of course they are no longer available. Nothing on EBay. 

I have a 2008 RT that I love but wanted a little adventure in my life. This G650 needs some love!  

IMG_8555.png

TRforlife

I did pull the fuel injector and ran carb clean through and got that the cycle. Fuel pump works. I do need to confirm spark.   

dirtrider

Morning Paul

What year are you working on, that will help us figure out the system. 

dirtrider

Afternoon Paul

With the engine cranking see if you have 12v on the red/yellow wire going to the fuel injector & to the ignition coil. This is a good starting point to know what side of the system to start looking at.  

TRforlife

Ok, will do.  Thanks for the suggestion. 

Paul