IGNORED

Leaking fork seal on 1994 R1100RSL - looking for parts source and tools / parts list,

Bill Cats

Bill Cats

Leaking fork seal on 1994 R1100RSL - looking for parts source and tools / parts list,

tools list - it appears that i will need some rather large sockets,,, 

does the triple have to be dismantled ?

fluid type and quantity ?

how to get fork tubes apart?

source for fork seals.? 

Thank You..

Michaelr11

I don’t know the difference in the procedure between the RT and RS.  I have done this more than once on my RT. It is a relatively easy procedure.

There are at least two videos on YT that show how. Chris Harris does it from above on an RT. Kurt does it from below on a K LT, but the forks are the same. From above, you release the nut holding the top of the fork tube, you should need a 22mm open wrench to hold the tube. Once the nut is off, the tube drops down and then it is shifted to the side and lifted out. You then have access to the fork dust cover and seal on top of the leg. You can remove them with a lever carefully, but a seal remover is cheap and works better.. I have bought the new seals and dust covers from All Balls Racing. The fork oil is there just for lubrication, you don’t necessarily have to change it.  470 ml each leg. It doesn’t provide any damping or suspension component, so any light oil, fork oil,  is fine.

• Like 2
Jim Moore
On 6/28/2024 at 8:12 PM, Michaelr11 said:

a seal remover is cheap and works better.. 

I've always just jammed a big screwdriver under the seal and popped it out, but I LOVE a new tool. What do you use as a seal remover? Can you post a link?